Guesthouse/Hotel recommendation for Georgetown, Penang, please

mrdome

Please save me from staying in a dorm yet again with backpackers half my age or under wink.png

Requirements:

* Not a dorm and not a prison cell marketed for 100+ MYR because it's now a remodeled "boutique hotel", so a decent size room in one of the older places seems to be the best fit, I'm guessing.

* Fan room possible (yes, I don't mind sweating on vacation, call me weird)

* Cable TV is a must

* Value for money

* Window would be nice

* Shared bathroom acceptable if not grotty

* Not a mosquito hub & fairly clean & not smelly inside the room

* Bookable from abroad would be nice

* Don't care if it rents rooms by the hour, as long as people do it quietly at night

Thanks

Mingood is very old and pretty rundown, poor value for money. I would not recommend anyone to stay there.

TUNE HOTEL can be booked including AC, WiFi etc on agoda, and in most cases it will be under 100RM.

location is great too, pretty much downtown and right next to a resaturant / Pub alley with plenty of food options, plus walking distance to several mid-sized malls.

last time in Penang though, I stayed at a brandnew budget place called HELICONIA HOTEL.

great value for money, brandnew, good location (can walk to KOMTAR easily within 7-8 minutes).

highlx recommended - google for it. can be booked via their website directly or the usual hotel-booking-pages

This might be a bit above the 100 (about 120 in new section) but includes good breakfast. Was my favorite about a decade ago (before new section was opened) and always much cleaner than other hotels in Georgetown and a very good location. Do not confuse with Grand Continental Hotel which is not the same.

Hotel Continental Penang

i stayed at the Minigood this year 2 x

it was a MUCH better deal at 100 MYR than the Banana Boutique hotel on Chula for 150!!!

Yes its old, but the air con works great, hot water is good, wifi is good, big window ....so who cares the carpets are wearing out and the tv only has local stations

Malaysian hotels are never good deals, ( this year have stayed in Penang, Ipoh, Alor star, Cameron highlands an Batu Bahru

all were 80-100 and none were good deals

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a bit above the 100 (about 120 in new section) but includes good breakfast. Was my favorite about a decade ago (before new section was opened) and always much cleaner than other hotels in Georgetown and a very good location. Do not confuse with Grand Continental Hotel which is not the same.

Hotel Continental Penang

Thanks but at $75 per night during my dates, that's a bit rich.