Will you go to Koh Tao?

canuckamuck

Will you go to Koh Tao?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do not see why it would present a problem to go. After what has happened, and the subsequent scrutiny by the police and public, I would think that the island would be one of the safest in the country. Let's put it this way, I find it highly unlikely that there would be a repeat of what occurred anytime in the near future.

I don't....in fact I think it's highly likely. Some people got away with muder and pinned it on innocent people.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stevenl, on 04 Oct 2014 - 15:28, said:
transam, on 04 Oct 2014 - 15:23, said:
stevenl, on 04 Oct 2014 - 15:05, said:

Why would anybody not go? People who are discouraged by the 2 murders should think what happens in other places in the world, including there own country and place.

This case has shown that there are 1000 illegal immigrants working on the island paying the BiB to do so. The AC Bar employed illegals to save money by not employing locals or legal immigrants. If the arrested are the culprits then the BiB and the AC bar owner is complicit in the deaths of these kids because they have ignored the law for personal gain.

Same at any bar, guesthouse, restaurant, any business in tourism employing more than 4 people or so in many places where law enforcement is not that good. So all Gulf Islands, Phi Phi, Lanta, etc. etc.

But my opinion has nothing to do with the right people arrested yes or no, only with the fact that an incident like this is just that, an incident.

I wonder if your family and friends would feel the same if you had been the victim.

It was a cold calculated brutal and vicious murder of two unsuspecting tourist.

I wonder if your family and friends would feel the same if you had been the victim.

It was a cold calculated brutal and vicious murder of two unsuspecting tourist.

Of course they would not feel the same.

But that is the whole point, for the people involved this is awful, but it does not change the general experience.

Too many people, including more and more politicians, make decisions based on incidents.

Don't worry too much about it. Those of us that have been around a long time are used to new people showing up for drama and making outrageous claims.

A round of applause for the mr.wise...gee what would we do without you? ppfftt...terd

Would I go.... I think not.

This is a good time to set an example. If business is back to normal then the mind set is "they will come no matter what we do" .... Is this what we want the Thais to think. Perhaps if the island goes through some hard times other islands and the Thai Tourist authority will take real measures to make sure Thailand is safe and also clean up some of the police corruption and procedures.

Farang don't get a chance to have a influence on local matters very often. This is our chance to make our voices heard. A no go is a vote for change, going to the island is a vote for business as usual.

Up to you if you want change or not.... Some people like the old corrupt system

Going to Koh Tao is a vote for beauty, fun time, and great diving.

As for the collective punishment approach... I won't be joining the movement

I was planning to dive there in the very near future but will go elsewhere. Not because I am worried for my family's safety but because it seems my money will be lining the pockets of the murderers (or their lying relatives). bah.gif

you can dive the same sites from chaloklum in koh phangan.

the best site - sial rock is actually closer to phangan than koh tao.

• Like 1

It is not the fact that murders have occurred, but it appears the mafia operation there operates with more than the usual hubris and impunity. Visiting would be equivalent to endorsement.

Are you stating that these things do not happen in CNX? Etc??

No he's not. So, your point is?

I will advertise it to friends, and fellow travellers as the cesspool it is and tell people in detail about the mafia structure, the corrupt police as well as the frequent murders and arson on that island. Neither will I nor my family ever set a foot on that dump unless it has been ratted out by the army and declared a national park.

It is not the fact that murders have occurred, but it appears the mafia operation there operates with more than the usual hubris and impunity. Visiting would be equivalent to endorsement.

Are you stating that these things do not happen in CNX? Etc??

No he's not. So, your point is?

Better read through his replies unless you are in a position to know what is actually in his mind.

Would I go.... I think not.

This is a good time to set an example. If business is back to normal then the mind set is "they will come no matter what we do" .... Is this what we want the Thais to think. Perhaps if the island goes through some hard times other islands and the Thai Tourist authority will take real measures to make sure Thailand is safe and also clean up some of the police corruption and procedures.

Farang don't get a chance to have a influence on local matters very often. This is our chance to make our voices heard. A no go is a vote for change, going to the island is a vote for business as usual.

Up to you if you want change or not.... Some people like the old corrupt system

Going to Koh Tao is a vote for beauty, fun time, and great diving.

As for the collective punishment approach... I won't be joining the movement

Like I said, some people are ok with the current lay of the land.... Couldn't be bothered, not my problem ....

Might have popped in just to say I've been there before, but now with the information that the local mafia would benefit from my trip it's on the black list. Unfortunately that list is growing at a pace which will soon see me spending my holidays outside Thailand.

• Like 1

I do not see why it would present a problem to go. After what has happened, and the subsequent scrutiny by the police and public, I would think that the island would be one of the safest in the country. Let's put it this way, I find it highly unlikely that there would be a repeat of what occurred anytime in the near future.

Gee, the only hole I see in your logic is if the perpetrators actually got away with it . . . .

Gee, the only hole I see in your logic is if the perpetrators actually got away with it . . . .

In his defence submaniac replied to my response shortly after and admitted he hadn't seen that angle. If you read his post he states that he now would recommend people don't go there.

How about a "reverse poll"?

If the people of Koh Tao stood up for justice, right and wrong, and made sure that the killers were caught, instead of this wall of silence and stitch ups. Would you visit Koh Tao?

Yes, absolutely I would. I would be happy to spend my hard earned somewhere people had a conscience, where they cared about doing the right thing, rather than protecting these people.

I reality I don't think I'll be going back, as much as I would love to see change, it is not happening. :(

Edited by changnaam
  • Like 1

How about a "reverse poll"?

If the people of Koh Tao stood up for justice, right and wrong, and made sure that the killers were caught, instead of this wall of silence and stitch ups. Would you visit Koh Tao?

Yes, absolutely I would. I would be happy to spend my hard earned somewhere people had a conscience, where they cared about doing the right thing, rather than protecting these people.

I reality I don't think I'll be going back, as much as I would love to see change, it is not happening. sad.png

I that case i would consider to go there, just to bring a flower on the spot where David and Hannah were killed.

Although I've been many places in Thailand I don't know Koh Tao. I was most upset to read of the murders of this lovely young, newly met, intelligent couple with their lives ahead of them. sad.png I strongly suspect David gave his life attempting to protect Hannah. Even though I am not lucky enough to have children of my own, I can't possibly imagine how their respective parents must feel.

I fully agree that interpol or similar should be allowed to verify results. I have a well educated Thai friend and she tells me that many Thai people feel that those arrested are not the real culprits.

As for those who feel its safer in Chiang Mai, maybe so as long as you don't stay in hotels rooms recently sprayed for bed bugs:

http://news.discovery.com/earth/thai-tourists-died-from-chemical-exposure-110816.htm

Edited by Lancashirelad

I expect they're worried.

'Oh no! We're being boycotted by a load of grumpy expats who weren't going to come here anyway!'

Funnily enough that's not how I would describe myself and my friends. We're a moderately well off English family of 3 living in Bangkok (2 * 40yo with a 3 year old). We holiday in and around Thailand. We're not going, we were considering it for Christmas this year.

That doesn't describe our friends and their family who travelled back from Koh Tao in early September. They are 2 * 40yo with a 10yo girl and a 6yo girl. They are very well off as they are both lawyers. They stay in the high end resorts and have money to blow. They love(d) the island, they even got married there. They won't be going back.

That doesn't describe another set of our friends. He is 38yo and she is 40yo. They travel business and frequent the top end resorts. They holidayed in Koh Tao in April/May this year. They're not going back.

Hardly a bunch of grumpy expats who weren't going to go there anyway.

• Like 1

Grow up, drama Queens.

Koh Tao is no more corrupt or dangerous than any other Thai destination.

We do, however, have some real evidence for once. A push for the British Authorities to flex a little muscle (none of that pathetic "oh Britain is nothing", still a top 10 global economy at the moment) and demand that they can verify the results of the DNA testing themselves as it involves 2 British subjects. Once that is done and the evidence is published I'll take my whole family there. This year I think I'll have to write off a holiday to Koh Tao.

How many people won't get that it isn't about our safety but about our ability to have a voice and make a change. Is this too much for you?

Yes we have a voice, but do you think a few whinging Westerners is going to eradicate generations of endemic ''Thainess''..?? Not in your lifetime, my lifetime or my childrens' lifetime.

Again... grow up!

I expect they're worried.

'Oh no! We're being boycotted by a load of grumpy expats who weren't going to come here anyway!'

Funnily enough that's not how I would describe myself and my friends. We're a moderately well off English family of 3 living in Bangkok (2 * 40yo with a 3 year old). We holiday in and around Thailand. We're not going, we were considering it for Christmas this year.

That doesn't describe our friends and their family who travelled back from Koh Tao in early September. They are 2 * 40yo with a 10yo girl and a 6yo girl. They are very well off as they are both lawyers. They stay in the high end resorts and have money to blow. They love(d) the island, they even got married there. They won't be going back.

That doesn't describe another set of our friends. He is 38yo and she is 40yo. They travel business and frequent the top end resorts. They holidayed in Koh Tao in April/May this year. They're not going back.

Hardly a bunch of grumpy expats who weren't going to go there anyway.

You honestly think that the locals care..??

As they always say, ''there's another plane load landing right now!''