Will you go to Koh Tao?

canuckamuck

Will you go to Koh Tao?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which things? What is the the reputation of Koh Tao compared to CNX. I see a difference.

Murder.. Corruption.. Mis-handled investigations.. Etc..

That is what you are suggesting happened on Koh Tao, right??

Are you angling toward saying that it's the same all over, because if you are I disagree. I see CNX as a much more responsible jurisdiction with a reasonable expectation of crime free living. It is corrupted sure, but the average Joe need not be affected by it.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which things? What is the the reputation of Koh Tao compared to CNX. I see a difference.

Are you angling toward saying that it's the same all over, because if you are I disagree. I see CNX as a much more responsible jurisdiction with a reasonable expectation of crime free living. It is corrupted sure, but the average Joe need not be affected by it.

I am not angling

Some people seem to reacting like this is the first time anything bad ever happened in Thailand.

Some times bad things add up until there is a reaction. I have been here 11 years and seen a lot of injustice. The case on Koh Tao disgusts me deeply, does that make me defective somehow?.

This thread is just an opinion poll. Maybe a reality check for my own opinion.

BTW I am glad you see CNX that way. However, IMHO, it isn't much different than other places here. Thailand has some inherent risks.

I am looking for other people's opinions, so thank you for yours. I don't agree with you however that things are the same all over. Some places are worse than others. Given the population of Chiang Mai, and the amount of tourists and expats there. I think you will find that the chances per-capita of getting into some kind of trouble is higher on the islands. Feel free to disagree.

• Like 2

I'd go no problem.

A couple of scumbags murdered two beautiful young people and this scenario has been played out in various places all over the world.

But let's not let a good thai bashing chance go to waste.

Carry on.

Oh and if your into it check out the news thread .Talk about bashing they're making mike Tyson look like an amateur !

• Like 2

Last time a visited Koh Tao i got run over by a taxi driver then a few days later attacked by a thai girl and her boyfriend! I visited the AC bar a couple of times whilst i was there. I did actually think the local guys in this area seemed alot more cocky and confrontational. I remember a group of thai men pestering me and a girl i was with while we were trying to play a game of pool. All in all though i thought Koh Tao was beautiful little Island and did manage to meet some lovely locals... but until the real culprits of Hannah and Davids murders are caught and punished i wouldnt ever go back..not just to Koh Tao but Thailand on the whole.

You joined just to make that post??

I did not read this question as 1) do I think it is safe enough to visit? or 2) do I like it enough to re-visit?

I read it as: do I want to support the pricks who evidently run the place (I include the police)?

My answer is no.

Edited by Seligne2
  • Like 2

yeah people die everywhere but they def reached a new low in to how to treat foreigners i.e. no respect for the dead or their families or innocent people. This one incident makes me sick to the stomach to be honest.

screw koh tao and KP and Samui .. you'd think the hoteliers on the other islands would want to see the right outcome.. do they approve of guilty mobsters walking free? I guess for them its all about the green stuff...

• Like 1

Apart from the recent tragedy, (my thoughts go out to families of victims)a small island renowned for diving, surely good beaches, a bit of nitelife, no, haven't been there, I'd be safe, after a few beers & a good seafood meal, I'm ready for bed, usually.

regards S.S.coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I just voted that I wouldn't go and I would convince others to avoid it. Why?

submaniac, you are right about the safety. That is not the issue though. Thai and foreigner alike do not believe what is happening there. We are all dead certain that it is family members of a well connected individual on that island. Until RTP allow independent (and being that this is a British Citizen perhaps Scotland Yard would be the polite thing to do) body to run the DNA tests I doubt any of us will believe what is happening.

If you go to Koh Tao you will be paying into the hands of the rapist/killers. I won't believe otherwise until a reliable body is allowed to examine the evidence.

Well said Draftvader, you took the words right out of my mouth...

• Like 1

Why would anybody not go? People who are discouraged by the 2 murders should think what happens in other places in the world, including there own country and place.

This case has shown that there are 1000 illegal immigrants working on the island paying the BiB to do so. The AC Bar employed illegals to save money by not employing locals or legal immigrants. If the arrested are the culprits then the BiB and the AC bar owner is complicit in the deaths of these kids because they have ignored the law for personal gain.

Same at any bar, guesthouse, restaurant, any business in tourism employing more than 4 people or so in many places where law enforcement is not that good. So all Gulf Islands, Phi Phi, Lanta, etc. etc.

But my opinion has nothing to do with the right people arrested yes or no, only with the fact that an incident like this is just that, an incident.

It is not the fact that murders have occurred, but it appears the mafia operation there operates with more than the usual hubris and impunity. Visiting would be equivalent to endorsement.

Are you stating that these things do not happen in CNX? Etc??

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

I don't see anything of the sort in canuckamuck's post. facepalm.gif