DNA samples from two Myanmar workers match with those collected from British victim

webfact

Now put yourself in the shoes of the families of the victims.

For several weeks after this tragedy, they have witnessed the incompetence of the investigation, claims and counter-claims.

I am sure all they want now is closure and those accused of the murder of their children prosecuted and - if found guilty - justly sentenced.

Now imagine how they will feel if they never know for sure whether the real murderers are in jail, or walking free and innocent men jailed.

I hope that the families demand independent DNA testing to put their minds at rest over whether the real killers have been found or not.

How is the investigation incompetent? Assuming these guys did it they caught them in a couple weeks. What more can you ask for?!

There are plenty of unsolved murders in the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_murders_in_the_United_Kingdom

They interviewed these guys on the first day and found nothing.Plus all migrants were dna'd a few weeks ago. Especially the ones from this bar. They have been to work everyday after this and not one of them has acted suspiciously or any markings/bruises. BS

Total bs. Anyone offering up that 2 minutes of missing footage yet ?

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mere fact that there are so many people on this forum (and on social media - not only farangs) further indicates that something's amiss here. I am sure that most are not out to single out any particular group - we just want the crime solved and the actual people prosecuted, no matter what race they belong to.

I suppose it comes down to this: what avenues can we look into to get an independent analysis of the DNA? Sure, our opinions mean jack sh*t in the whole scheme of things, but given the outcry over the findings and the shoddiness of the investigation, I think doing this would go a long way to "save face" for the RTP and for the reputation of the Village Head's family (innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around). Not to mention, allowing the families of Hannah and David to move on with their lives, knowing that justice has been served.

If the real perps were caught, then it really would be in the interests of everyone to go with the independent DNA analysis. It would also been seen as a gesture of good will that the PM is truly committed to keeping tourists safe and stamping our corruption. Independent DNA tests won't make the RTP lose face. It will actually promote a greater sense of transparency and acknowledging, like with most countries, that some gaps need to be closed and that we can all learn and work with each other to improve security methods.

What "evidence" of a cover up? I am not Thai and i am complimenting the police.

If you are not Thai you don't need to worry about the ghosts and you can continue in your exultation and debase the victims memory for reasons of your own. There is plenty of evidence on the forums. In particular, in an earlier post in this thread I outlined how they had absolutely no need to torture and extract a confession if the DNA results were impeccable. The reason they need a confession was to reduce the pressure for an independent DNA test or to show that they did not plant the scapegoats' DNA in the original. My most charitable guess is that you are probably a contrarian or has some gripe with TV speculations and thus are unwilling to see the multitude of holes in the process that has been followed (refusal of headman's family to provide DNA, and then 24 hours later some reports that their DNA was tested).

Whatever be your motivation, if you have been reading the forums but still insist in exulting on the current official result, then nobody can change your mind. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Come on all you naysayers, keep up with the news

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1412314798

The perpetrator had died his hair blonde then died back to black. DNA results came back at 8am this morning. Samples sent to Singapore was very early in the case to identify race. News updates keep coming in. I think these are the killers.

• Like 1

The mere fact that there are so many people on this forum (and on social media - not only farangs) further indicates that something's amiss here. I am sure that most are not out to single out any particular group - we just want the crime solved and the actual people prosecuted, no matter what race they belong to.

I suppose it comes down to this: what avenues can we look into to get an independent analysis of the DNA? Sure, our opinions mean jack sh*t in the whole scheme of things, but given the outcry over the findings and the shoddiness of the investigation, I think doing this would go a long way to "save face" for the RTP and for the reputation of the Village Head's family (innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around). Not to mention, allowing the families of Hannah and David to move on with their lives, knowing that justice has been served.

If the real perps were caught, then it really would be in the interests of everyone to go with the independent DNA analysis. It would also been seen as a gesture of good will that the PM is truly committed to keeping tourists safe and stamping our corruption. Independent DNA tests won't make the RTP lose face. It will actually promote a greater sense of transparency and acknowledging, like with most countries, that some gaps need to be closed and that we can all learn and work with each other to improve security methods.

See my first post in the thread. The only way to bypass governments who may have a conflict of interest is to get the DNA directly from the family who has/had access to the body (and no conflict of interest), and then go to the currently accused's home in Myanmar, get their DNA from their belongings there, and do the test.

• Like 1

If you are not Thai you don't need to worry about the ghosts and you can continue in your exultation and debase the victims memory for reasons of your own. There is plenty of evidence on the forums. In particular, in an earlier post in this thread I outlined how they had absolutely no need to torture and extract a confession if the DNA results were impeccable. The reason they need a confession was to reduce the pressure for an independent DNA test or to show that they did not plant the scapegoats' DNA in the original. My most charitable guess is that you are probably a contrarian or has some gripe with TV speculations and thus are unwilling to see the multitude of holes in the process that has been followed (refusal of headman's family to provide DNA, and then 24 hours later some reports that their DNA was tested).

Whatever be your motivation, if you have been reading the forums but still insist in exulting on the current official result, then nobody can change your mind. Good luck to you.

Ah... You say the suspects were 'tortured' so that is now a fact?

I am reading and though not 100% convinced I am far from reaching the same conclusions you have arrived at.

Sexual voyeurs are sad timid misfits who run away when confronted. I wonder if there has ever been another case in the world where a peeper has slain in the most brutal and violent way possible the couple he was spying on.

And then inexplicably waited around with his two fellow murderers to be arrested for three weeks when they could easily have slipped away, Thailand has sunk to new depths of lies, corruption and injustice over this case.

At what point exactly does sexual arousal while furtively peeping on a courting couple turn into an explosive killing frenzy?

Google Elliot Rodgers, Zodiac killer, any number of killers. Hating or/and Killing a couple is not unheard of. Who knows what happen. Maybe the brits saw them and said something and a argument ensued.

Sure, but you listed serial killers. Three Burmese guitar players 'the size of hobbits' who are guest workers on a Thai island?

No. Mere numbers on social media mean no such thing. Conspiracy theorists abound.

I just don't believe it. It seemed to be a crime of anger, loss of face maybe,

the Burmese I know that I've asked about that in their culture, don't really have it.

oh really?..... so they are then very unique to the human race, as are the Thais apparently. whistling.gif

I see why the village-head's son refused to summit a DNA sample. thumbsup.gif

I think it calls for a massive overreaction. How many people must die suspiciously before a sovereign nation takes a stand. This country is advertised in Europe as a dream destination and that it is safe. It isn't safe, from the dangerous roads to the horrific skull duggery, people should be advised of this fact

Hmmmm does that mean you will personally be making a stand and leaving???

I would but I'm applying for guardianship/custody of my daughter, so I can't just abandon her here as there is nobody to look after her!

As soon as that is sorted I'll be leaving.

1. Where is the evidence they tortured these guys? All police try to get confessions, nothing strange about that.

So again where is your evidence.

2. Supposedly the head mans son didn't give his DNA right away. So what. There are plenty of people who are not comfortable giving their DNA. If the police are so corrupt as you claim then who wouldn't be a little wary about giving the DNA? But as you said it seems they did give DNA so they are cleared.

Again you try to hide the ball by attacking me. You have no evidence so I guess attacking me is the next best thing.

Just one question:

Why would the actual killers still stay after all this time they had to flee?

Because they were Burmese ? With no money where would they go ? All their friends were at the island, including family. They were just hoping that they would go clear and DNA is probably something they never heard about.

Yes it is possible you know, if you suggest the police planted the DNA and arrested the wrong guys then prove it, so far it looks like we have the killer.

I think it calls for a massive overreaction. How many people must die suspiciously before a sovereign nation takes a stand. This country is advertised in Europe as a dream destination and that it is safe. It isn't safe, from the dangerous roads to the horrific skull duggery, people should be advised of this fact

I would but I'm applying for guardianship/custody of my daughter, so I can't just abandon her here as there is nobody to look after her!

If you feel so strongly surely you can get a lawyer to do that for you?

Perhaps the FO has other things to do as well?

Ah... You say the suspects were 'tortured' so that is now a fact?

I am reading and though not 100% convinced I am far from reaching the same conclusions you have arrived at.

Good, diversity of opinion is what a healthy society is made of. To me, a day of "grueling interrogation" in a "safehouse" that results in a confession, which was not necessary in the first place, in a country with no significant protections against torture, is almost certainly evidence of TORTURE! Duh!

You are entitled to disagree but you are simply being disingenuous when you make it sound like I have no basis to succinctly call it torture. Thus, I am skeptical of whether you genuinely have a difference of opinion, or you have some weird sociopathic gripe that makes you deliberately want to disbelieve. Whatever it be, I do not intend to waste any more keystrokes on explaining stuff to you that should be pretty obvious why I think it is so. Like I said before, good luck to you.

Edited by agksmehx

Would anybody be stupid enough to keep it and not use it. It's quite a vital piece of evidence don't u think??

??? I thought tere was previous statement from Police that Blonde Hair (part of the recovered Evidence for use to get DNA) was found with her Phone!!! At the time the bodies were discovered!!!

No.

Blonde hair was found in her hand. It was never established if indeed it was her own or not, and it may well have been, if she was cowering her head.

However, the pics in the Mail show 3 black haired males, so all this police rubbish about one of the accused just having dyed his hair black is absolutely more rubbish.

anybody believe that these are the right people?

This is exacly what I expected when I saw the headman coming into action.

This should be a start of another case against these who cooked up the whole 'explanation'; This can go very up the thai social ladder

something for brithish media about that:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/03/burmese-killing-two-british-backpackers-thai-police

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-burmese-man-confesses-to-murder-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller-police-say-9769805.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-beach-murders-second-burmese-4369596

quote from Guardian

"Thai authorities frequently accuse migrants from Burma and Cambodia of committing crimes in the kingdom, where they make up a vast, poorly-paid and low-status workforce.

But police have insisted they would not scapegoat anyone for the crime, despite coming under immense pressure to get a result as anger built over an apparently sluggish investigation in the days after the bodies were found."

If you feel so strongly surely you can get a lawyer to do that for you?

Perhaps the FO has other things to do as well?

who is going to look after my daughter?? She's 5, can't exactly leave her on her own!!

What a surprise eh? Well for the posters such as gulf sailor who amongst others have intimated that true residents knew who was behind these brutal murders intimating the "untouchables" I hope you are hanging your heads in shame as YOU'RE complicit in a murder!!!!!!

Thai justice at its best here, and they're confessions are so scripted it's so fake and staged but what can one do but shake their heads in disbelief until it happens again, and it will.

• Like 1

For those wanting to know why all credibility has been lost, explain why such contrasting information exists:

Posted Today, 06:38 Webfact (Source PBS)

All three migrant workers confess to rape and murder of British tourists

Pol. Lt. Gen. Jakthip Chaichinda, the acting Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner, revealed that the three men had admitted to having committed the crime.

Meanwhile the acting assistant commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Lt. Gen. Panya Mamen, identified the three Myanmar workers to the media Win, Mao and Sor and it was Win who first admitted to the crime.

On the night of the incident, Win revealed that he and his two accomplices were drinking, singing and playing the guitar approximately 65 meters from the murder scene.

He admitted to being sexually aroused and along with his two accomplices had used the hoe to beat the male tourist and then dumping his body in the sea. They then proceeded to rape the woman and finally killing her by hitting her with the same garden hoe.

Thai police say Myanmar men confess to murder of British tourists

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

"Two Myanmar suspects have confessed to killing the pair," Thai National police chief Somyot Poompanmoung told AFP, adding that their DNA matched traces found at the crime scene.

A third Myanmar national had been held since Thursday on suspicion of involvement, Somyot, Thailand's top policeman, added.

"The third suspect said he left the crime scene before murder took place," Somyot said.

"DNA test results (from the two men) confirmed that the same DNA was found in the body of the (female) victim," he added.

So, four hours later, one had retracted his 'confession'. Supposedly he wandered off down the beach before the murders took place? Did he back out and run when he realised what was going to happen?

That would make him a key witness - not a murderer.

Unless, as there are only two DNA samples, only two murderers are required...

I must say, I've been impressed by posters' credulity with truthful and consistent, predominantly Thai reporting on this case to prove their points. But hell! Throw the honourable and upstanding Daily Mail into the mix and we have a veritable sh1tstorm of lies, sensationalism and deliberate obfuscation carry on.

jdinasia,

Why is it people like you and others of the same ilk always like to imply others leave the country. Personally, I would like to round you all up on the cynical bus and guide you out the country which would make the place a happier place to live in .....

• Like 1

In the rest of the world a DNA test takes 1-2 weeks, of course a country that just found the cure for Ebola can do it in 1 day..

But the three folks playing guitar on the beach had been in question almost from the very beginning, and I think to remember from news articles that DNA test were taken from some 20-30 people at first, these 3 could have been included…

• Like 2

one has to wonder why the burmese who allegedly committed the crime did not leave Koh Tao when so many others who did not commit the crime did.

Because they were still working in the bar and had no money ? Where would they go ? One of them are married with a wife, so they decided to stay and hope they would get cleared. And DNA is probably something they never heard of !

• Like 1