Second replacement passport valid only 1 year.

Well I learned something new today while applying for a replacement for a lost or stolen US passport which will have huge implications for me. I had totally forgotten that about 10 years ago I had also lost my passport while in the states. I was able to replace it there. Today I was told my the US Embassy that the replacement passport will be valid for only 1 year (which actually means only 6 months since you need 6 months validity to do anything) since it is the second time I have had it stolen or lost it in a 10 year span, after which I need to apply again. This is due to "everything going on in the world today" according to the embassy officer. Iguess this is quite a problem for the state department. This is going t be a major pain in the ass for me. It changes my plans big time. Now I can't get another 1 year non-immigrant B visa as I do each year. I will have to get single entries for almost the next year, then pay for another replacement passport at 4500B. I think it's time to re-think my "(nearly) always have my passport with me" policy.

NJ

You should just take a photocopy of your visa and photo page in your passport and have that with you and leave your passport in a safe place. No need to be bringing your passport with you everywhere.

Edited by ldiablo

The OP is lucky. Either the rules have gotten better or it varies from embassy to embassy, just like Thai embassies.

My wife lost her US passport while overseas 11 or 12 years ago. The US embassy gave her a new passport with only a 6 month validity. She got that extended overseas for another 6 months but had to return to the US for a further extension.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Passports are worth a lot of money on the black market - if you lose your passport more than once they start looking at you with a lot of suspicion. Yes, losing your passport is a big deal - and that is not new.

Quite some years back I was renewing my passport at the consular section of my Bangkok embassy.

I overheard a conversation with another customer, this exact subject. The embassy official said that

second loss of passport automatically puts you on a 'watch list' (with that country) with automatic suspicion

that the passport(s) were 'deliberately lost'.

The embassy lady went on to say that deliberate loss (sale) of a passport is a very serious offence (for that

country) with serious punishment, if proven.

Sorry to hear that news NJ.

Little cold comfort to find that it is not only the UK's passport department that is populated by total f..kwits obsessed to the point of absurdity with security and identity theft.

This must be one of the most stupid regulations I have ever heard of as regards passports - mindboggling idiocy.

Personally I never carry my passport on my person, but I do often carry it in my briefcase and am now seriously considering moving to only carrying only a photocopy and a TIFF scan on a USB stick.

I am not an American, but the new UK procedure for overseas passport issue is so slow (6-18 weeks at the present) that it can cause absolute and complete chaos if one looses one's passport.

Why do people carry their passports with them when they go out ?

Is it really worth the risk and hassle of losing it.

It is the most important document you own.

Keep it locked up where it should be. Carry a copy simple.

I lost my U.S. passport in 2006, the replacement was a 10-year passport which I'm still using.

Perhaps the policy has changed since then.

Mac

Yes? Is there a connection with a second replacement passport?

• Like 1

Even though BKK HQ made attempts to clarify the issue, there is still a lot of ambiguity created by different "official" statements, travel guides, and news reports of people cited for not carrying it, though that is not why I often carried mine. It was more out of convenience. I liked to have it when I needed to pop into the bank or do other business requiring it. But I have also had police or immigration ask for it and my WP while working numerous times over the years.

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request. "

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/

"In Thailand you are required by law to carry your passport on you at all times..."

http://www.thailand-holidays-tips.com/Things_To_Take_To_Thailand.html

"certain countries require foreign visitors to carry passports at all times; Thailand is one such place."

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/should-carry-passport-times-110089.html

Even though BKK HQ made attempts to clarify the issue, there is still a lot of ambiguity created by different "official" statements, travel guides, and news reports of people cited for not carrying it, though that is not why I often carried mine. It was more out of convenience. I liked to have it when I needed to pop into the bank or do other business requiring it. But I have also had police or immigration ask for it and my WP while working numerous times over the years.

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request. "

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/

"In Thailand you are required by law to carry your passport on you at all times..."

"certain countries require foreign visitors to carry passports at all times; Thailand is one such place."

I'll bet you can find 100 people who have lost their passport for every person who has been fined or jailed for not being able to immediately produce their actual passport.

I'll go with the odds and continue my criminal ways by only carrying a copy of my passport, along with the visa and latest entry stamp.

Yes I know people who have lived here for 25 years plus and when asked for ID they show their driving licence.

When you go to the station to report the loss of your passport, would you expect a 20,000 baht fine for not having it on you ?

This reminds me of a funny story from years gone by. At the time I was 18 and had gone to the south of France with my parents.

I went out walking on my own one day and had spent several Francs on a British newspaper. On the way back I was stopped by 2 French coppers they demanded 'my pappers'. I handed over my copy of the Sun.

End of story.

Edited by bertty

Yes I know people who have lived here for 25 years plus and when asked for ID they show their driving licence.

You asked why people carry their passport and I answered it. I am not suggesting people do. When I lost mine I was on the way back from the bank after needing to use it there.

By drivers license I assume you are talking about a Thai drivers license as a foreign license is not a legal form of ID in Thailand. Tourists and many expats do not have this.

When you go to the station to report the loss of your passport, would you expect a 20,000 baht fine for not having it on you ?

What a silly and ignorant comment. No, of course not. Just as I wouldn't expect to be arrested if I brought found drugs to the police station. These kinds of things are not only common sense, but actually written into the laws.

You asked why people carry their passport and I answered it. I am not suggesting people do. When I lost mine I was on the way back from the bank after needing to use it there.

By drivers license I assume you are talking about a Thai drivers license as a foreign license is not a legal form of ID in Thailand. Tourists and many expats do not have this.

What a silly and ignorant comment. No, of course not. Just as I wouldn't expect to be arrested if I brought found drugs to the police station. These kinds of things are not only common sense, but actually written into the laws.

I believe you can get your visa stamps transferred into your new passport and I had no problem coming into Thailand on a passport with less than 6 months on it. I have a extension of stay for retirement. When I came thru Swampy the immigration officer pointed out my passport was finished in Dec. I said thank you for pointing this out to me that I had plans on getting a new passport in a month or so. So no problem coming into Thailand if you have a long stay visa

Here is one of the most searching threads on the subject of whether Thai Law requires foreigners to carry passports at all time:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/212453-is-there-a-law-requring-foreigners-to-carry-passport/

Look at Maestro's final post - that's about where the debate stands at the moment.

People carry them because they want to obey the requirements.

How do you loose it? Knock on wood but in over 30 years of having mine with me in numerous countries I have not lost one.

What you do it you are stopped and the authorities want to see the real thing instead of a copy. I would hope that you can call somebody to get that locked up passport to deliver it to you. I would also hope you are not a long distance from where it is locked up. It could be a very unpleasant long wait locked up in cell.

• Like 1

Of course it was a silly comment. It was meant to be silly, not sure where the ignorant comes in tho. Are you aware when people move to Thailand they have to give their passports to the removal company for a few days ? I don't believe these people have anything that covers them while they are without their passports.

How do you actually manage to lose a passport anyhow ?

Of course it was a silly comment. It was meant to be silly, not sure where the ignorant comes in tho. Are you aware when people move to Thailand they have to give their passports to the removal company for a few days ? I don't believe these people have anything that covers them while they are without their passports.

Huh? I know I did not.

• Like 1

Huh? I know I did not.

Yes I worked for a removal company here for a short time. Passports are in and out of the office on a daily basics.

Hell to pay if a courier 'loses' one.

Huh? I know I did not.

Yes I worked for a removal company here for a short time. Passports are in and out of the office on a daily basics.

Many people move to here without using a removal company. So nothing to do with moving here but with using a removal company.

When I moved here I did bring some things duty free, and no, did not have to give my passport to the removal company.

Huh? I know I did not.

Many people move to here without using a removal company. So nothing to do with moving here but with using a removal company.

When I moved here I did bring some things duty free, and no, did not have to give my passport to the removal company.

Its something to do with clearing containers at customs.

You can leave other forms of ID but many, many people leave their passport when renting a motorcycle. They don't carry a passport with them.

I'll be applying for a new passport next month in Thailand. I will obviously be without one for approx 2 weeks. Not that I'll carry the original any other time.

According to the thread linked in Post 15 above, it is NOT a legal requirement to carry your original passport.

Does anyone know of anyone who was fined or jailed for not carrying an original passport? And were they stopped for no other reason than to check their identity?

You can leave other forms of ID but many, many people leave their passport when renting a motorcycle. They don't carry a passport with them.

I'll be applying for a new passport next month in Thailand. I will obviously be without one for approx 2 weeks. Not that I'll carry the original any other time.

According to the thread linked in Post 15 above, it is NOT a legal requirement to carry your original passport.

Does anyone know of anyone who was fined or jailed for not carrying an original passport? And were they stopped for no other reason than to check their identity?

Your embassy should be able to provide you with a one page letter with both your photo and a government seal on government letterhead stating that this is your identity (along with your expiring passport number). Although most places will not know what to do with it, it should be good enough (in combination with a photo of the visa from the passport) if you are asked by immigration/police for ID.

In answer to the fine situation, (sort of) yes. The police stopped someone I know and would not release him until he produced his passport to prove he was not illegal (he owns a travel agency locally). Only after getting a friend to fetch his passport from his business (and home), did they release him (although they would have released him for 5,000 baht without one). So yes, the police will detain you until you can prove your identity (which if you are legal and have a friend to get it) will be typically a few hours at most.

Maybe Immigration should start issuing foreigner ID cards for those with a 1 year extension of stay, like in many other Asian countries?

Then you don't have to worry about losing your passport because you don't have to carry it!

• Like 1

Maybe Immigration should start issuing foreigner ID cards for those with a 1 year extension of stay, like in many other Asian countries?

Then you don't have to worry about losing your passport because you don't have to carry it!

That would make sense - just add the additional fee for the ID to the fee for the visa and issue an foreign national ID card of the same format as the thai id card. It could also be made an option for those people that regularly visit. Have the RFID information store visa information and border entry information so that all information is available for police inspection. For tourists they could just issue an entry receipt that people could fold up and place in their wallet - which if scanned would link information from the immigration database (including a photo).