Damn gout, what a pain!

giddyup

I get the odd attack of gout, usually in the toes or ankles, but for the first time it's in one knee. The knee has ballooned out and it's nearly impossible to walk. I take a Colchicine tablet whenever I get an attack, but this time it's taking a while to have an effect. From what I've read on the subject it seems I'm probably stuck with it for life, or does anyone have any home remedies, or even better a 100% cure.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar episode (I get the odd attack of gout too) went to the hospital where they removed a quantity of what looked like Hoegarten beer from the knee.

Instant relief.

OMG Hoegarden was once my favourite beer. Not any more after that remark. Thanks!

Den

• Like 2

you can get rid of it guys ...three easy steps if you want to be pain free ..

1/ cut out anything with HFCS .High Fructose Corn Syrup , esp sugar drinks , processed carbs , its in so many products you will be surprised ... its not sugar at all your body will treat it like a toxin ...

2/ switch to a plant based diet , minimal protein..

3/ drink a lot of filtered water ..

give it a shot worth the effort for a pain free future and save you a heap of money

goodluck

I almost never drink soft drinks, I do like the occasional icecream or a dark chocolate, have a beer about once a month, no longer eat shellfish, but do eat chicken occasionally. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables but I do like to have pork as a stir-fry. I gave up smoking a couple of years ago, sex is fairly spasmodic at my age, not sure that I can give up the few pleasures I still have left in life and feel that life is worth living. Thanks for the advice though.

• Like 1

OP: No mention of seeing a doctor for your gout attack? One colchicine tablet for a major attack? Do you take any medicine to help your body rid itself of your uric acid build up?

I have had extremely high levels of uric acid in my blood whenever I do not take my gout medicine but fortunately 300 mg. of allopurinol for 50 years keeps my uric acid level subclinical and I have never had a major attack.

My neighbor suffered a major attack and was laid up with extreme pain for days and it took colchicine every four hours for two days to begin to relieve his pain.

Most doctors advise staying off shellfish as they are high in uric acid.

Edited by ProThaiExpat
  • Like 2

1/ cut out anything with HFCS .High Fructose Corn Syrup , esp sugar drinks , processed carbs , its in so many products you will be surprised ... its not sugar at all your body will treat it like a toxin ...

give it a shot worth the effort for a pain free future and save you a heap of money

goodluck

I almost never drink soft drinks, I do like the occasional icecream or a dark chocolate, have a beer about once a month, no longer eat shellfish, but do eat chicken occasionally. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables but I do like to have pork as a stir-fry. I gave up smoking a couple of years ago, sex is fairly spasmodic at my age, not sure that I can give up the few pleasures I still have left in life and feel that life is worth living. Thanks for the advice though.

Good luck with the sex.

With family history (all males on father side of family) I developed it at about age 47 (suspect had some problems prior to that) but have not had another attack in the several decades since starting to take allopurinol to reduce uric acid. Was at 300mg per day untel recently but now 100mg seems to take care of it. Have maintained blood testing and doctor monitoring during this time but medication and tests are not expensive and far better to prevent. Amazing how much pain you can feel from a toe.

• Like 1

OP: No mention of seeing a doctor for your gout attack? One colchicine tablet for a major attack? Do you take any medicine to help your body rid itself of your uric acid build up?

I have had extremely high levels of uric acid in my blood whenever I do not take my gout medicine but fortunately 300 mg. of allopurinol for 50 years keeps my uric acid level subclinical and I have never had a major attack.

My neighbor suffered a major attack and was laid up with extreme pain for days and it took colchicine every four hours for two days to begin to relieve his pain.

I'm taking medication to lower my blood pressure and I see allopurinol is not recommended if you have high blood pressure.

• Like 1

I had high blood pressure when first put on allopurinol - in fact my visit for gout attack was more for that as pressure was so high in doctors office. There have never been any question of stopping appopurinol by any doctor since - and have continued to be treated for high blood pressure. This has been more than 25 years.

I had high blood pressure when first put on allopurinol - in fact my visit for gout attack was more for that as pressure was so high in doctors office. There have never been any question of stopping appopurinol by any doctor since - and have continued to be treated for high blood pressure. This has been more than 25 years.

I think it might be time for another doctor's visit. My blood pressure is well under control, around 120/85, so maybe I can safely take allopurinol.

It will not help this attack as you should not be started on it until it is over - but it can make the rest of your life a whole lot better in my experience.

Cheers, I can probably buy it across the counter at most pharmacies here. BTW how much is it?

Edited by giddyup

I'm taking medication to lower my blood pressure and I see allopurinol is not recommended if you have high blood pressure.

Listen to lopburi3 if you won't listen to me. I have had high blood pressure issues since I was in my late twenties. Fifty years later I still take two high blood pressure pills and allopurinol daily. My medications were reviewed by every doctor I have seen in the past fifty years and none have ever mentioned a connection between gout and high blood pressure.

The type of high blood pressure medication may be an issue depending on underlying conditions, but there are so many medical approaches to controlling high blood pressure that you need not worry if you see a competent internist for your gout problem.

Yes it will be available anywhere - do not know price but if you do not buy the very expensive top brand name (which drugs stores used to often only have) it should be cheap. I bought enough so store would stock but most of the little places only had the name brand here 20 years ago and was very expensive (few foil packed pills then - very different now).

But do see a doctor and have regular blood testing done and be sure you should not make a change in your blood pressure medications.

Buy some raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and take a couple of tablespoons on an empty stomach a few times a day until symptoms disappear. Use a straw to drink it diluted in a full glass of water. It should only take a couple of days to get rid of the most of if not all the pain.

Cherry juice is also effective for gout.

Buy some raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and take a couple of tablespoons on an empty stomach a few times a day until symptoms disappear. Use a straw to drink it diluted in a full glass of water. It should only take a couple of days to get rid of the most of if not all the pain.

Cherry juice is also effective for gout.

yes agree with both those options, .... Although it is hard if not impossible to find cherry juice here ....

I have not had a flare in in a few couple or more years now, but one method I used was to boil 500 grams of black beans in two litres of water, turn down heat and simmer for about an hour.... strain and discard the beans, cool juice.

Drink a glass or two a day... (keep juice in fridge)....

Check a web site called GoutPal.com Lots of useful info there.... thumbsup.gif Check out the foods you should try to avoid... Chicken, red meats..... Mangoes.... etc etc wink.png

Good luck ... not fun!

It will not help this attack as you should not be started on it until it is over - but it can make the rest of your life a whole lot better in my experience.

Cheers, I can probably buy it across the counter at most pharmacies here. BTW how much is it?

100 mg Allorpurinol tablet once per day and not only gout but headaches gone as well.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680011-prescription-medication-in-the-kingdom/#entry7011462

Ask for a discount and they knock off 20 Baht if you buy a hundred :-)

goodluck

I beg to differ... you can't get rid of the gout, it's there to stay for ever, you can minimize the frequencies

and the severity as you have prescribed, gout was know to exist going back to the Pharaoh days,

and now, my favorite leader and yours Kim il un, the Korean Hugh Hefner, is also severely afflicted

with the gout in both legs...

• Like 1

The standard remedy is Allopurinol, one tablet a day for life.

I have had gout for about 40 years, I know all about the pain. In my case I cannot take Allopurinol as it gives me an immediate bout of thrush.

My remedy is to take a slow release Diclofenac Sodium each morning. Now that I am semi retired I have even cut this back, I think a lot of the problem in my case was stress induced by my jobs.

Get a green (un-ripe,peel off the skin) papaya ( you can see same as som-tam) boil in water for 15-20 min add Chinese tea (any brand) close the cover wait until it cool drink it for1 week you will have good result no need medical. No harm for daily intake as it's natural.

I have had gout for about 40 years, I know all about the pain. In my case I cannot take Allopurinol as it gives me an immediate bout of thrush.

My remedy is to take a slow release Diclofenac Sodium each morning. Now that I am semi retired I have even cut this back, I think a lot of the problem in my case was stress induced by my jobs.

Apple Cider Vinegar works better than Allopurinol and no side effects.

I have been retired for 12 years, so very little stress in my life.

goodluck

Have the fluid aspirated by a good doc and change your diet according to blood type:

http://zaidpub.com/2011/12/29/food-is-the-best-medicineeat-right-for-your-blood-type-by-dr-omar/

I got my 1st gout attack at the age of 30. It's family history and wrong eating and drinking habits. As I didn't want to take Allupurinol for the rest of my life, after some time and severe attacks, I stopped drinking alcohol completely, later reduced also Coca Cola and try to eat more healthy. Attacks one in a while still come but it's pretty easy to fight them with Diclofenac and one the attack is over, Allupurinol for a week.

Not so difficult living without booze and it helps a lot !