Relationships and Thai culture. Keep it simple.

sipi

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah simple. You have a child that most likely won't see his father at his high school graduation. That is simple minded of you nothing more.

As for marriage it is never simple nor is life. Simplifying what is important takes a lot of work but that I will agree is necessary for prolonged happiness.

Being as old as you are, I guess you have already had all of the arguments, difficulties and achievements. Now you are on the down spiral of life so you have less attachment to things. I doubt that is the best role model for an equity relationship. Just not caring anymore to the point you are just happy with any "Thaiwife" and starting a family isn't my idea of something to emulate.

But go on bang your drum how great your marriage is and how great of a person you are to start a family in your twilight years.

I'm in my late 40's, so I'll be around to see my sons graduation. I adore my son.

Simple.

Good god, you look 60, get some exercise.

Kid looks great though.

PS

I'm the age you look, but look the age you are, and have a 3 year old boy.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

...until the sh*t hits the fan.......

That is when you keep it simple.

In the 11 years we have been together we have:

Had a still-born baby, our first. My Dad dropped dead, literally. We built 2 houses, one in Australia, one in Thailand. My wife and son have both been diagnosed with Thalassemia. Bla bla bla.

When the sh*t hits the fan..

Keep it simple.

• Like 1

Life is like a box of chocolate covered grasshoppers.

smile.png

Actually; according to my Thai wife.

Life is like a gold necklace. Lovely to have, but you can lose it at any time. Common Thai saying.

Yeah simple. You have a child that most likely won't see his father at his high school graduation. That is simple minded of you nothing more.

As for marriage it is never simple nor is life. Simplifying what is important takes a lot of work but that I will agree is necessary for prolonged happiness.

Being as old as you are, I guess you have already had all of the arguments, difficulties and achievements. Now you are on the down spiral of life so you have less attachment to things. I doubt that is the best role model for an equity relationship. Just not caring anymore to the point you are just happy with any "Thaiwife" and starting a family isn't my idea of something to emulate.

But go on bang your drum how great your marriage is and how great of a person you are to start a family in your twilight years.

I'm in my late 40's, so I'll be around to see my sons graduation. I adore my son.

Simple.

Good god, you look 60, get some exercise.

Kid looks great though.

PS

I'm the age you look, but look the age you are, and have a 3 year old boy.

It's a bad photo, trust me. I'll race you up Doi Suthep tomorrow.

• Like 1

Had a still-born baby, our first. My Dad dropped dead, literally. We built 2 houses, one in Australia, one in Thailand. My wife and son have both been diagnosed with Thalassemia. Bla bla bla.

Keep it simple.

I though "zeichen" was a little harsh to begin with but maybe he was onto something

With respect, it does sound like you're expecting a pat on the back for getting through life's ups and downs.

If that's the case then why didn't you just make title of the thread "I've had some bad stuff happen to me but I'm still here so please pay your respects to my resilience"?

Keep it simple.

I though "zeichen" was a little harsh to begin with but maybe he was onto something

With respect, it does sound like you're expecting a pat on the back for getting through life's ups and downs.

If that's the case then why didn't you just make title of the thread "I've had some bad stuff happen to me but I'm still here so please pay your respects to my resilience"?

Keep it simple.

• Like 1

Simple.

You are not 50 already? So why do you say "I am an old man"?

No Comment.

Thank you so much Mr Platinum Advanced Member. I look forward to your 2 thousand 4 hundred and 9th wholesome contribution.

laugh.png

Great answer!

Hey old manbiggrin.png , you look very happy, and looks like the ladies will be fighting over your little man therethumbsup.gif

Congratswai.gif

You can always rely on Krisb for a sensible good nature reply smile.png

As one, happily married to a lovely Thai lady for close to seven years now, best thing that ever happened to me, only regret that I did not meet her earlier in my life,

I second Krisbs sentiment, and wholeheartedly agree with the OP

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid , and few are stupider than melaugh.png

Congrads Good looking boy, good thing he did not get his looks from youlaugh.png ,

only kidding ,,, you look happy .. may you have many many more years smile.png

Thankyou for the compliment!

But sometimes my replies are just awful.

OP, we all try to keep it simple.

The problem is you read too much of TVF and you are confused with the comments coming from different members.

This is not how we live, it's just an attempt to spice some of our time by having an argument, with somebody that we wouldn't have in real life.

If we are still living in this country it means we are happy doing so.

Age, does not have an adverse effect on that, the only difference is that you look at things and situations with a wiser and more experienced mind.

So carry on with your happy life, as we all do.

PS. You had a go at ATF, that was wrong.

He was only agreeing with your comment, don't expect everybody to write an assay agreeing or disagreeing with your OP.

Hi Costa

While I I agree with most you have to say, a couple of points of disagreement

Not all that live here do so because they are happy here, as displayed by many Thai bashing of the posts in this forum, the caveat "Most of us" in front of that sentence would had made that statement correct.

as far as ATF's comment, How is "no comment" agreeing with some one? No comment means ,no comment, and since no one asked ATF personally for a comment, his no comment , comment, was IMO at the very least superfluous and at the best ambiguous

laugh.png

Great answer!

Hey old manbiggrin.png , you look very happy, and looks like the ladies will be fighting over your little man therethumbsup.gif

Congratswai.gif

You can always rely on Krisb for a sensible good nature reply smile.png

As one, happily married to a lovely Thai lady for close to seven years now, best thing that ever happened to me, only regret that I did not meet her earlier in my life,

I second Krisbs sentiment, and wholeheartedly agree with the OP

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid , and few are stupider than melaugh.png

Congrads Good looking boy, good thing he did not get his looks from youlaugh.png ,

only kidding ,,, you look happy .. may you have many many more years smile.png

Thankyou for the compliment!

But sometimes my replies are just awful.

Some times , Whose hasn't? I will confess, occasionally, I have laid some stinkers my selftongue.png , I know I know, you find it hard to believe! sadly it is true,sad.png

As long as we dont take our selves to seriously, maintain good nature, and accept the possibility that we might be wrong, we should be fine.

The OP is happy, has a nice wife, cute son, Posts nice picture. Who can be negative with that?

well we all know wholaugh.png

Simple.

You are not 50 already? So why do you say "I am an old man"?

Keep it simple.

• Like 1

Life is like a box of chocolate covered grasshoppers.

smile.png

Actually; according to my Thai wife.

Life is like a gold necklace. Lovely to have, but you can lose it at any time. Common Thai saying.

I thought life was like a box pf chocolates! according to the great philosopher Forest Gump

Now I have to re-assess my whole outlooksad.png

[media]

[media]

Problem being, who is supporting the children of old retired men? In most cases the children who are fathered by old retired men, become wards of the state. If their father is American the child will receive up to $800 a month in social security payments, until the age of 18. This is welfare for deadbeat dad's. Is it no wonder, why Thai women would want to have a baby with an old man?

Zeichen. you may want to consider some serious counciling. I can only assume you are this negative and cruel because you can hide behind anonymity. Please be a little kinder and supportive of someone who is obviously happy. Lighten up. Life is too short. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Thank you Ren and Stimpy.

• Like 1

Problem being, who is supporting the children of old retired men? In most cases the children who are fathered by old retired men, become wards of the state. If their father is American the child will receive up to $800 a month in social security payments, until the age of 18. This is welfare for deadbeat dad's. Is it no wonder, why Thai women would want to have a baby with an old man?

not to get in a discussion about welfare and social security ,but the money one and one's family receives from Social Security, are money that one paid all his life trough payroll taxes. Though I would agree that one who has children at an old age , would not be there to support them later in their life,it is also important to note , that people who have children later in life are better equipped financially and emotionally to take care of them ,and such children tend to do better in life.

• Like 2

not to get in a discussion about welfare and social security ,but the money one and one's family receives from Social Security, are money that one paid all his life trough payroll taxes. Though I would agree that one who has children at an old age , would not be there to support them later in their life,it is also important to note , that people who have children later in life are better equipped financially and emotionally to take care of them ,and such children tend to do better in life.

Actually, it is a pay as you go scheme, Social Security.. But as you say, not the place. I do agree about older men having children, and attending their kids' High School graduation at 70.

A very big "Thank-you" to everyone who contributed to this thread. There are some wonderful people out there. The few negative posts had my wife rolling on the floor in laughter.

I wanted to sign off with something from the band "Simple Minds", but couldn't find anything suitable. So how about this...

Mai Bpen Rai. Take care

Look you don't need others ideas of happy, If your happy then good for you your choice.Me I had my kids raised them sent to college so done with starting over again Now it is me time. Have places to go things to see. But that's my choice and yes I'm happy too. We each define our own happiness in life.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Never ceases to amaze me that people still think Social Security is a hand out. Yes, I know the prez and Democrats keep referring to it as a entitlement and they use it in the same way they use welfare and other gov handouts. Your damn right it is an entitlement. I worked all my life for it. Why so critical about how other people live their lives?

It's a bad photo, trust me. I'll race you up Doi Suthep tomorrow.

You're on

7:00 am at the start of Pilgrim's Trail.

Don't be late, you won't be able to catch up.

OP:

Before you head out the door - - some parting questions:

Who won the race between you and AnotherOneAmerican this morning?

Why did you refer to yourself as an "old man" in your OP if you're only 49?

I still don't understand what the phrase "Keep it Simple" meant to you. Despite repeating this phrase several times in your OP and follow up posts you never really explained what you meant. The only thing I could guess was that for you it meant being focused on your family, especially your son. I also still don't understand why you think "Keep It Simple" is a particularly good guiding principle for living here in Thailand. Personally, I think this thread could have been improved and generated a more vibrant and positive discussion if this had been better defined.

To me, "simple" could mean anything: chanting "Hari Krishna" all day, living 'off-the-grid', eating only raw food, living frugally, becoming a monk, taking a vow of poverty, taking a vow of silence, living out in the country, even avoiding 'complicating' interpersonal relationships, etc., etc.

Without any context, the phrase "keep it simple" is so open to interpretation that in and of itself it isn't a particularly useful guiding principle.

Edited by Gecko123