Colours in the clouds

NigelKennedy

I saw very similar on Tuesday at around 5.30am, also from Wororot market area. Before sunrise, just as the sky starts to turn yellowy purple-ish on the bottom of the horizon. I was quite transfixed by it and gazed, in my own little world, for about 30 minutes, until the sun was actually visible and hurting my eyes.

An amazing sight. Didn't mention it to anyone as they probably would have thought 'Crazy woman', but it's something I'd never noticed before. I'm going to look for it in future when I'm able to see the sun rising. I'll follow up with a post after the weekend either saying same again or nothing happening.

Post #2 answered it.

Yup - ice crystals in the clouds. They also cause the 'double rainbow' effect and rarely, a 'moonbow', when light from a full moon shines through ice crystals.

Cumulonimbus calvus are the towering cotton-wool-like clouds such as we've seen most of the past week. They contain enormous amounts of water [vapour] and eventually become rain-bearing thunderstorms. Depending on altitude reached, the tops may change into ice crystals giving a blurred effect, thus turning into cumulonimbus incas [from memory] which reflect colour much like a rainbow.

• Like 1

Cumulonimbus calvus are the towering cotton-wool-like clouds such as we've seen most of the past week. They contain enormous amounts of water [vapour] and eventually become rain-bearing thunderstorms. Depending on altitude reached, the tops may change into ice crystals giving a blurred effect, thus turning into cumulonimbus incas [from memory] which reflect colour much like a rainbow.

That's very impressive kaptainrob; I have a commercial pilot/instrument rating and had never heard of either one of those cloud sub-types before! I guess from your nic you are a professional.

I've taken gliders up inside the base of cumulus clouds several times and encountered snowflakes there once even though it was 40C on the ground below.

Whatever their names the clouds certainly have been spectacular recently. Typically November is the peak month for beautiful sunsets in Pai.