More bicycle lanes: PM

Lite Beer

It's easy to be critical, but what the PM is saying, that there needs to be more build. So, within Govt planning policies may have to change to ensure more are developed. It may help also, that some of these contributions go into producing more cycle friendly maps either as hard copy or digital.

Keep a bike in bkk and n pattaya and try to get out every weekend, though it is tougher in bkk for sure. But there are many small sois and paths you can use to ride around and avoid roads like sukhumvit.....great way to explore the city actually.

In pattaya, head out south to bang saray...never on a busy road, or over to the dark side and into the countryside. Certainly need radar on more than at home but still enjoyable. Dogs are around but never had an issue yet. My buddy who rides daily for years here has a great system. If we run into dogs looking quizzical and thinking it wants to have a go, he just turns straight at it and they scatter....at first I was skeptical but it always works and get some good laughs out of the reactions too.

In the country many beautiful places to ride. Chanthaburi province has great routes and to me it is the best maintained province in the country. They actually clean the roads with sweepers and trim the brush and I always see them doing it when I visit.....traffic seems more sensible there than anywhere else as well. Has beach routes, country routes, hill routes, and not far ...esp if you kick off from pattaya.

• Like 1

It's difficult enough to cross the road, even on a Zebra Crossing , Thais never slow down, they just seem to ignore the fact you are trying to cross the road.... Very dangerous..

As for Cycling, love it, but NEVER in Thailand, far too dangerous....

Oh dear, another person who should google - Thailand Cycling Events, to see how popular this sport is becoming here.

Dangerous? Not out in the countryside where I ride. In Bangkok? I would have to agree with you.

The 'PM' is right, it is one of the best types of exercise, and is particularly beneficial for those getting older. Just do it.

I have seen new bicycle lanes in several places outside of Bangkok, and in the past 8 years i have seen the sport growing. Some of the posters above should get off their barstool and get on a bike!

• Like 2

You can find me regularly on a bike and I welcome the idea of more biking paths. Here on Phuket there is already a "bike/motorbike" lane for at least 25km starting at the bridge connecting the island with the main land. The traffic is light there and there is space enough next to it for cars to pass each other without a need to use the bike lane. Sharing a lane with motorcycles is no problem as it is a 2 meter wide lane (with another emergency lane next to that).

I would not recommend anyone to use a bike in Bangkok; it is waiting for an accident to happen. Outside of Bangkok you need to judge each road by yourself (how fast is the traffic going, how much traffic is there, how much space is there, what is the quality of the roads).

That said, I do not think building biking lanes should be a priority for Thailand. There are people biking for exercise but the numbers are very low. Building more lanes will not result in more people picking up biking as the sport is relatively expensive and cannot be done in the shade. The money is better spend on running tracks, football courts, and badminton fields open for the public.

Besides, I have no clue why the PM is making statements about this. He has huge tasks ahead to clean up the complete country (that is his goal/promise at least) and so far the results are about zero besides some local crackdowns. He should spend his time more wisely and forget about the smaller things in life. If he wants to be a good leader he should learn how to delegate so he doesn't have to waste time on small stuff like this.

Edited by Bob12345

Queensland recently introduced, under pressure from cycling groups, a law requiring other road users to maintain a minimum1 metre clearance from cyclists. The sting was that cyclists are now expected to obey all traffic laws with the same penalties applied to cyclists as to everybody else.

After several months the number of car drivers charged was less than 10. Several hundred cyclists had been charged with offences including speeding, failing to stop at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings, failing to indicate and lane splitting. Points are accrued for cycle violations and will lead to loss of driving licence.

They already have a bike lane running down Sukhumvit ... in the middle of the footpath.

As I haven't been down there for a while I was going to ask if it's still there. I remember when they painted those lines on the broken crooked paving slabs. Hillarious, a bike lane that's impossible to cycle in for countless reasons. Only in Thailand. Not much else to say than that it is a land of imbeciles.

You will just have to dodge the motorcycles. They have footpaths for pedestrians but you have to walk on the road.

Was almost run over the other day by a pair of Thai policemen riding duo on their motorcycle going down the sidewalk on Sukhumvit Road, heading opposite of the roadway traffic. No emergency, just riding along the sidewalk for convenience.

If the police don't even respect that sidewalks are supposed to be for pedestrians -- not motorcycles -- how is anyone going to respect that bike lanes are supposed to be only for bicyclists???

BTW, let's just hope the government doesn't hire the same contractor that they used to build the shoddy school futsal facilities. Otherwise, you might well find your bicycle falling into a sinkhole the next time we get a good rain.

The bottom line is: we're very long here on well-meaning ideas, but very short on well-done implementation.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

There are many cyclists in Bangkok, especially rich ones on expensive bikes and they like to bike around in groups. So now they need bike-lanes, who would have thought so?

I m happy with this plan though, we also need motorbike lanes. I 'm tired of waiting for an idiot in a far to big car that they even can't control while i 'm on a motorbike and can't even pass them. Roads are for transport and not for showing your big loan-car.

I am a big fan of bikes and a regular rider in chiang mai...

Here is the problem - it's silly to make this very broad statements of all provinces and all locations...

Start with a realistic objective with a tangible action plan and go from there...pick one city and or province to serve as a model and evaluation...

Pie in the sky statements are just that...it won't happen in this culture as it needs an attitude adjustment first...it's much more than stating more bike lines...

It needs to be part of local urban planning but the problem is the ineffectivemess of urban planning in Thailand...

CB

'PM', you'll have to tweak your culture and get people to respect boundaries [AND CYCLISTS] before you set aside bicycle lanes on actual roads. Along with rowing and swimming, cycling is indeed right up there with the best forms of exercise... in the right place, i.e. where crazy driving/traffic, choking pollution and millions of roaming feral dogs are not a factor. However, good that you're thinking about such things, although when tourists and locals are being slain in your fair kingdom left, right and centre, perhaps you should focus more on 'politics' or army drills.

Queensland recently introduced, under pressure from cycling groups, a law requiring other road users to maintain a minimum1 metre clearance from cyclists. The sting was that cyclists are now expected to obey all traffic laws with the same penalties applied to cyclists as to everybody else.

After several months the number of car drivers charged was less than 10. Several hundred cyclists had been charged with offences including speeding, failing to stop at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings, failing to indicate and lane splitting. Points are accrued for cycle violations and will lead to loss of driving licence.

You're all crims down there anyway so what's the difference? cheesy.gif

'PM', you'll have to tweak your culture and get people to respect boundaries [AND CYCLISTS] before you set aside bicycle lanes on actual roads. Along with rowing and swimming, cycling is indeed right up there with the best forms of exercise... in the right place, i.e. where crazy driving/traffic, choking pollution and millions of roaming feral dogs are not a factor. However, good that you're thinking about such things, although when tourists and locals are being slain in your fair kingdom left, right and centre, perhaps you should focus more on 'politics' or army drills.

How about taking away the police's motorcycles, and putting them on bicycle patrols instead.

Would do wonders for their physical fitness, save on pollution and fuel, and perhaps gain a bit more respect for bicycle routes -- if the police themselves were using them. thumbsup.gif

Clearly not many of you understand the context of this broad statement. As explained previously, this statement will help to ensure some money comes from developers towards this aim. It will then be up to the provinces via their local communities to decide how best to allocate these funds.

Some of you may be sceptical but if it encourages cycle tourists as well as provide a resource for local community, this cannot be a bad thing. For example, cycle tourists generally come to enjoy the beautiful weather and get off the normal beaten track.

• Like 1