noise blockers

bertbobjes

Heavy duty curtains & double glazing will help but the extrernal walls of buildings are poorly insulated regards sound-proofing over here.

You could try noise-cancelling headphones which are quite effective & wax swimmers earplugs for sleeping.

Try never to live near traffic lights as they are so slow to change here which usually means 3 lines of traffic are being held at any one time making life intolerable with all the braindead morons who drive with their turbo woofers turned up to 11 on the dial

Move to the Darkside.

... where you will appreciate street dogs barking all night and early crowings of cockerels wink.png

The Darkside is a big place. My friend had a million dollar condo just off Beach Road. It was so noisy couldn't even sleep in the daytime. Fantastic view though.

i am not the owner but will stay for 2 to 3 years in this location. Moving to another place is not convenient for me. I am thinking of buying 3 to 4 panels that i can put in front of the windows every night.

I am still looking for a shop that sells that.

@bertB

Be very careful to change anything to the room, it will cost you dearly in the long run.

Checkout HomePro which is in the same building as Big C Extra which is on Pattaya Klang, but please dont get your hopes up in blocking out the noise for just a couple of 1000s of THB. I put in double glazing in my own condo, that set me back 70k+ and is very efficient however it still does not kill all street noise.

Good Luck

Ps: Did you sign a long term contract? If not it would be more viable to move as noise (if you cant stand it) makes you very unhappy.

Edited by MJCM

Perhaps noise abatement via double glazing plus a rather loud continuous noise in your place will help a lot but moving to a quiet place would be best. I once rented an apartment near Shinjuku Park in Tokyo and tried everything but the rumble of passing traffic kept me awake and I was forced to forfeit my deposit and two months' rent and move to a quiet place in Yoyogi. The girl who rented the place after me was forced to move too. Sometimes it's better to take a loss in the interest of your health and psychological well-being. Good Luck!

If you could put something on outside of windows could have better results. Window glass acts like a drum head. Finding way to cut down sound hitting that head would seem more fruitful than trying to muffle after it hits the glass. Some sort of external shutters with sound absorbing material?

Two more ideas. Noise canceling earphones work well, I've tried on planes and they really do work well. Outside microphones somehow make the opposite sound to cancel it out. Another, I am finding online, are white noise generators. Many types of music and sounds for meditation, or perhaps to sleep, too. Under Mynoise.

Move to the Darkside.

On Sukhumvit rd?...........................sad.png quietercheesy.gif
Yeah thats where the darkside starts more or less

I believe the Darkside starts on the other side of the railway tracks but some people keep insisting it's the opposite side of Sukhumvit. Well whatever. I don't get any noise not even chickens or dogs and most people seem to get along as well as could be expected over there.

Move to the Darkside.

On Sukhumvit rd?...........................sad.png quietercheesy.gif
Yeah thats where the darkside starts more or less

I believe the Darkside starts on the other side of the railway tracks but some people keep insisting it's the opposite side of Sukhumvit. Well whatever. I don't get any noise not even chickens or dogs and most people seem to get along as well as could be expected over there.

I just found it funny that he mentioned Sukhumvit as to where the Darkside starts

• Like 1

I tried the fan in it helps a lot. Still looking to buy the panels, drapes. Anybody has a suggestion other then home pro?

Homeworks on Sukhumvit next to Big C south Pattaya, Thai watsadu on Sukhumvit on the way to Jomtien/Sattahip

Global House near Rayong

Edit: But I find it very strange you couldn't find any drapes in HomePro, they have a lot or even in the shop next to Kasikorn Bank opposite Homepro they have.

Edited by MJCM

I use industrial 40db ear muffs or whatever they call it. The things that cover your whole ear. Can sleep with them on although not the greatest solution for that when you want to sleep on your side.

I've tried earplugs but after awhile I was getting ear infections. When you use them all the time they prevent earwax from building up and that is what protects you from infection.

I've used multiple brands of noise cancelling headsets and they are almost useless except on a plane because they reduce the low freq engine noise. You still hear most of the higher frequency noise. In an apartment with other types of noises they aren't going to work very well.

Edited by lapd

You could try a white noise generator app for your smartphone. You can get them on your PC as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmsoft.whitenoise.lite&hl=en

I actually bought a standalone white noise generator. Has other sounds like ocean and rain but I always just use the white noise.

http://www.nosleeplessnights.com/best-white-noise-machine-reviews/

Edited by lapd

Reducing noise through windows needs airtight double or secondary glazing with a decent air gap between the glass.

Reducing noise through walls need solid mass (plasterboard) and ideally a gap between wall and plasterboard to prevent direct transmission through the structure.

Curtains and other soft furnishings are different - they will not shield you from noise but they can help absorb the sound in your apartment by reducing reflection from solid walls and so help to reduce indoor noise levels.

Secondary glazing will give you the biggest benefit for street noise but it's not cheap.

• Like 1

Spent the first few years of life on a busy street in Chicago. When we moved to the suburbs, I had a hard time sleeping in the quiet.

At university, I moved about 100 feet away from a railroad track. Train came by every morning at 06:00, rattling the rafters on our student slum bungalow. After a month, I slept right through it.

Give it time.