@180ks,evenstevens luck run out

evenstevens

exactly two weeks tomorrow ,after 13 yrs driving to all parts of the north,180ks in total my luck finnally run out

my minor accident was covered by first class insurance,which has taken care of everything ,apart from repairing minor damage to my car

this is my problem,as follows

been to the insurance panel shop as requested (the day after the accident) was signed off by the ins rep on site for repairs to begin

the young lady assisting us(panel shop) ,said it would be ten days at her shop to be repaired(very minor damage) i copped that sweet,but 10 days???

now that two weeks is nearly up, we have nt heard from the panel shop,when to bring our car in for repair

A/..how long does one have to wait ????

B/..and is ten days for a job which in most countrys would take a day... too long??

over the years have heard on the farung grapevine,the above service is par for the course,just hang on to my hat..,perhaps 3 months???

incidently my ins co is a leading one, many tks in advance

a very nice morning to all, and smile.png and up the rabbitohsbiggrin.png

The only accident I've had here was about 15 years ago in Phuket when I was rear ended by a large truck while stopped and then rammed me into the back of a bus stopped in front, damaging both ends. The insurance company had the truck back to me repaired in a week! Did a crap job though...maybe it will be worth the wait for you.

• Like 1

I've had a similar experience with computer repair--"it will be returned next week" for two months, and motorbike repair--"we need to order the part from Bangkok, it will be here in two weeks"; three months later the shop hasn't called and doesn't return phone messages.

BTW, does anyone know of a motorbike repair shop that works on Suzuki's other than the Suzuki ship on Chotana?

Edited by heybruce

We had an accident with our Toyota. The insurance rep on the scene gave us 2 choices; go with Toyota which would take a month or go with this other company and it would be fixed within a week. We went with the latter and it took 2 months. Not only that, but they hadn't quite finished the job when we took the car back. I suspect that kickbacks were involved.

I don't know if you were given a choice or not.

• Like 1

What do you expect in the third world chaps. giggle.gif

His comments on every thread in every forum that I have read are negative towards Thailand. Why are you even here?

He is happy here. Can you imagine what a sad soul he would be if he were someplace he did not have a lot to complain about?

Based on my two experiences having bodywork repairs done on my car, each time covered by insurance, as well as conversations with friends who have done the same I would say this: For the time period the body shop says the repairs will be made, ten days is pretty normal and it will be hard to push them to do it quicker without paying a kickback (which takes away the benefit of insurance). I would definitely NOT expect it to be done in ten days. But it won't take 3 months either. 3 weeks was about my average. The body shops' Standard Operating Procedure seems to be to remove the part in question immediately so you can't just come and drive the car away, then get to the repairs when they're good and ready, you've greased the wheels with some extra baht, or the time drags on long enough AND you've complained enough (in a Thai way of course).

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 1

I don't know since I've never been to the third world. And to judge solely from your comment, neither have you.

There is a Golden Rule for farangs in Thailand... "Let Thais front for you."

Follow this rule as often as you can. It has always worked for me in serious matters like this.

I would have to agree with you on this CMH78, my girlfriend has saved me a lot of grief the last few years. Be it on simple matters like overpricing or double pricing to things like vehicle maintenance repairs. I normally identify the problem, but if I get involved in negotiations then the outcome ends up worse for me.

It is sometimes bloody frustrating have to operate in this fashion but once I learnt it isnt worth the effort or stress to get into a disagreement with some of these less than honorable types.

In relation to the OP, Im not sure if insurance companies here have the replacement vehicle system for while your vehicle is getting repaired. Possibly not as that would go some ways to ensuring you got your car/truck back in a timely fashion.

Gd luck either ways and I hope when you do get your vehicle back it is repaired correctly.

• Like 2

Follow this rule as often as you can. It has always worked for me in serious matters like this.

I would have to agree with you on this CMH78, my girlfriend has saved me a lot of grief the last few years. Be it on simple matters like overpricing or double pricing to things like vehicle maintenance repairs. I normally identify the problem, but if I get involved in negotiations then the outcome ends up worse for me.

It is sometimes bloody frustrating have to operate in this fashion but once I learnt it isnt worth the effort or stress to get into a disagreement with some of these less than honorable types.

In relation to the OP, Im not sure if insurance companies here have the replacement vehicle system for while your vehicle is getting repaired. Possibly not as that would go some ways to ensuring you got your car/truck back in a timely fashion.

Gd luck either ways and I hope when you do get your vehicle back it is repaired correctly.

Glad you agree... excuse me for sounding didactic on this point, but it's the fruit of long [and sometimes bitter] experience.

No matter how well you speak Thai, or how street-smart you are, your initial dealings with tradesmen and business people here are best done by Thais who have your financial interests in mind.

If you can establish a good relationship with those who do work for you or provide services, then - obviously - you no longer need go-betweens.

But until then, accept the situation as it is, and follow the Golden Rule.

• Like 1

I don't know since I've never been to the third world. And to judge solely from your comment, neither have you.

That may be true in many cases. But not mine. If they give a ridicules price makes no difference to her she will accept it.

I hate to negotiate and generally just walk away. On occasion I have done so with a little bit of success. I once walked away from a travel agent rather than try to negotiate a price which she was very willing to accept. I went to another agent and got a decent price with out having to negotiate. Both agents I was requesting the same flight so there should not havbe been a difference. But that is another story.

My car got whacked while parked - thai gf sorted it out with the insurer who sent us to the Nissan main dealer.

Needed a new back fender which took 7-10 days to arrive unsprayed from Bangkok. Then they wanted to see the car to exactly match colour.

Then I took it in a week later to have the new sprayed fender fitted. Perfect job. Timescales reasonable to my thinking and cost amazingly low at 5000 baht, all paid by insurer. Very impressed all round.

I have had minor body work done on 3 occasions. Each time, it took a week to ten days. The jobs were all done on time, and the work was very good.

In the US, it would probably would have taken half the time, but...(wait for it)...TIT.

• Like 2

His comments on every thread in every forum that I have read are negative towards Thailand. Why are you even here?

That could be said about an increasing number of posters on ThaiVisa.

Are they being held here against their will?

No they are not held here against their will, and neither have they agreed to be gagged! if you want YES men then maybe you should go back to your own Country!

That could be said about an increasing number of posters on ThaiVisa.

Are they being held here against their will?

No they are not held here against their will, and neither have they agreed to be gagged! if you want YES men then maybe you should go back to your own Country!

When someone makes a clearly false statement, shouldn't they be challenged? And it's certainly legitimate to question why a person chooses to live in a culture he clearly despises. Here's another false statement that deserves to be challenged and ridiculed:

"No they are not held here against their will, and neither have they agreed to be gagged!"

No one has proposed gagging anyone.

And here's another:

"if you want YES men then maybe you should go back to your own Country!"

I think it's clear that you have embraced Thai culture. After all, here it's considered very bad form to directly challenge someone's assertions no matter how ridiculous they are. Farangs tend to think differently about that. So you definitely should not return to your own country. Clearly, your adopted values clash with those that support frank speech.

• Like 1

@ quidnunc reply to no 22

"Clearly, your adopted values clash with those that support frank speech."

Your last comment says it all,you obvious do not support freedom of speech in Thailand for Immigrants (Farangs). And It was your Country I suggested that you return to! if you are looking for YES men!

Please try and learn the difference between a false statement,and one you disagree with!

Any reply from you will be ignored!

@ quidnunc reply to no 22

"Clearly, your adopted values clash with those that support frank speech."

Your last comment says it all,you obvious do not support freedom of speech in Thailand for Immigrants (Farangs). And It was your Country I suggested that you return to! if you are looking for YES men!

Please try and learn the difference between a false statement,and one you disagree with!

Any reply from you will be ignored!

Let me try to put this in words a small - a very small - child can understand. On the one hand, you say that people like DaveAustin saying whatever they like - no matter how negative - about Thai culture is part of their right to freedom of speech. On the other hand, you assert that anyone who criticizes what DaveAustin says, is somehow trying to suppress his right to freedom of speech. If we had the power to actually send DaveAustin back to his home country you might have a valid point. But we do not have this power; so you do not have a valid point.

As for "your Country I suggested that you return to! " what has that got to do with me endorsing the notion of you staying put in Thailand? Again, a double standard. You are free to suggest the appropriate country of residence for others, but others ought not to do the same for you?

As for "Any reply from you will be ignored!" it's no surprise that "ignore" and "ignorant" share a common root.

I want to add what to expect from your insurance coverage to my previous comments.

My insurance carrier is Allianz and they have done an excellent job on the several occasions that I've used my coverage.

Each time I've had body work done at the shop it has been due to someone hitting my parked Toyota Vigo pickup truck (other than a fender dent from backing into a coconut tree in Phuket).

On the second occasion, I actually had 7 different dents and scrapes around the car (including the fender dent). I took the car to the agent, they inspected all the dents and scrapes, and said they would cover fixing 6 of the 7 in one go, even though they had happened on separate instances long ago. So they paid for 20,000 of the 22,000 it cost to fix all the problems. Good professional coverage, good professional inexpensive repairs. Ten days late on the repairs, but overall would describe it as a positive experience (only downside was that my rates were, as expected, a bit higher the next year than they otherwise would have been).

Another time I had my first accident after a dozen years driving in Chiang Mai--collided at an intersection with a young kid flying down a small soi off of Nimman. The Allianz agent came promptly to the scene of the accident, negotiated with the police and man on the motorbike, came to a fair resolution not involving going to the police station or paying the police anything, and off everybody went. A very positive experience, and one I have to admit I was extremely pleasantly surprised by . At the time I had an expired U.S. license, didn't have a Thai license--I do now--and expected to get taken to the cleaners by all involved (I would recommend never putting yourself in that situation--I was stupid and lazy not to get my Thai license). That didn't happen, the police were fair and professional, and I give a lot of credit to my insurance guy for making everything go well.

So the moral of this long-winded story is that good insurance coverage is possible, and if you don't get it from your carrier this time, then try Allianz next year.

PS A Thai friend of mine just had an accident one day after her coverage expired with another carrier and they wouldn't cover her, saying she didn't pay on time. In the U.S. I think you are automatically extended, have some period to pay, and get notices saying if you don't pay you will lose coverage. Apparently not in Thailand, so beware and pay your premiums on time.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East

You do realize that your car,would not be the only car they would be repairing,

they would have had a queue of cars waiting,and 10 days is about normal.

regards Worgeordie

^^^^^

where are u coming from????

my o/p clearly says that i have accepted the ten day time frame to repair my car

i only asked the board if this was the norm,and it has been confirmed,this is so (happy dayssmile.png )

with respect, u must be a boring old soul

You do realize that your car,would not be the only car they would be repairing,

they would have had a queue of cars waiting,and 10 days is about normal.

regards Worgeordie

^^^^^

where are u coming from????

my o/p clearly says that i have accepted the ten day time frame to repair my car

i only asked the board if this was the norm,and it has been confirmed,this is so (happy dayssmile.png )

with respect, u must be a boring old soul

Like i said 10 days was about normal, which is what you asked.

Please don't respect me,you don't know me,and i come from Newcastle (the original one)

regards Worgeordie