British Resident suffers broken arm over 40 baht parking fee in Central Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice of the man in uniform to squeeze his arm to see if he was telling the truth.

Should have paid his parking fee.

If you live and drive in Thailand you should know the procedure.

If he was back at home he would be looking at a 3000 baht fine.

you should learn to read. first it was 2.30AM???? second was there a sign saying 40 baht to park there? 3rd are you sure the cop was really doing that?

I wonder if a young Thai would show that much violence and lack of respect toward a 70-year-old Thai person? I doubt it.

Ok, sure, the farang guy was being a d1ck about it, too. He parked in the guy's zone for a minute. He could have at least made things right with a 20 baht note for the few minutes he was parked. And as a guy who drives in Pattaya and therefore almost certainly is a resident, he ought to know how petty stuff like this can escalate and end up in Pattaya. But breaking the old guy's arm? Gimme a break! (**Whoops. No pun intended**).

What a Big Cheap Baul Baby, 20 baht for christsakes, if you can't afford to give the kid 20 baht stay home and watch TV.

And while you're at it, be sure and leave your front door open so the scum can come on in and just take whatever they want... (Maybe leave some 20B notes lying around for them. It's just the right thing to do. After all, you're "rich", and they're poor, so they're entitled.)

• Like 1

Over less than $1.50 ... just silly not to pay up.

Could have been 'how' the guy refused to pay. I have a hard time thinking the kid just decided to beat on that guys vehicle. Often as not, we on this board don't hear the whole story. A '<deleted> you kid' might be taken differently as a 'mai owe' or 'mai ko chai' get in your vehicle and pull out.

That kid doesnt look like a parking attendant to me . And he sure doesnt behave like one. But the old man should have paid, 40 baht is less than the cheap beer he was drinking that night.

• Like 1

Pattaya Police Visit British Man After Attack

225.jpg

PATTAYA– Recently [Pattaya Daily News]; previously Pattaya police had arrested a Mr.Todsapol Tapprasit aged 19 after he attacked Mr.John Hayward a 70 year old British man with a piece of wood because Mr.John didn’t pay the parking fee.

On 6th October Pol.Col.Suppatee Boonkrong-acting superintendent of Pattaya police station- dropped by the British man’s accommodation in South Pattaya. Mr.John was pleased to see the police and thanked them for arresting the attacker.

Pol.Col.Suppatee revealed that he just wanted to console the victim because this type of incident is destroying the image of Pattaya. Police officers had prosecuted Mr.Todsapol for attacking and threatening others.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/pattaya-police-visit-british-man-attack/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-10-07

• Like 2

OK - the kid was a scumbag with form - doesnt mean that every Thai in Pattaya is cut from the same cloth. I wonder how many Brits would enjoy being typecast alongside the likes of the Kray twins ? All of these threads degenerate into a bashfest when each of us come from countries with no shortage of lowlife scum - seems we hold uneducated Thais to a higher standard for some bizarre reason.

another moron lots here today read the script he was NOT in the carpark

I believe the old fart should have just paid the 40 baht. Talk about cheap Charlie. He should have never illegally parked or gotten out of his car. Not smart to challenge a younger man.

I believe there should be a mandatory IQ text applied prior to being allowed to post on this forum. Then we wouldn't have to read posting like this one!.

And just what text would that be?

how convienent that a piece of wood was nearby.and look at the smirk on the coppers face as he squeezes his arm.

You seem to have missed the expression on the Brit's face. Obviously playing it for all it's worth. And undoubtedly he played arrogant Khun Farang when approached by the attendant. He certainly is to be congratulated on saving the Baht 40.

Stupid Brit trying to get away without paying. Probably did not feel he had too as it was just a short stop.

But of course the violence was over the top but some foreigners think they can get away with anything.

Your reference to his nationality is stupid and not relevant to the story at all. Then you go a level lower in stupidity with " some foreigners think they can get away with anything " How stupid a comment is that ???!!!! He is not a criminal trying to get away with anything at all. He's being scammed and has objected, then the coward assaults him, a man of 70 , with a piece of wood . He's a coward. Please reply with more stupidity.

He is a Brit is he not .. was it in the topic title yes or no. so its relevant.

I still feel that if you park somewhere that is paid for parking you should pay. (if he was not in that area id retract my remark).

Then the guy got out and started to fight with a far younger man (that is stupid in my book) I have seen arrogant foreigners bossing Thais around.. who knows he might be one of those. But as i stated the violence is way over the top but if he was in a paid for area and did not pay then its theft.

I've lived here in Thailand for 11 years and I'm sickened by what I'm seeing these days. It's not the same place I moved to.

Times change. Tourist places are populated by people who have been attracted by the chance to get easy money, in the role of whores, pimps, bent taxi drivers, hustlers etc. they are not 'normal'. I am happy that my area still seems to be free of overt bad behaviour, at least before nine o'clock at night. I can only hope that as economic decline reduces the 'crop per acre' the bad elements are not forced to increase the size of their plot beyond Sukumwit, Patpong , Soi cowboy etc.
  • Like 1

Nice of the man in uniform to squeeze his arm to see if he was telling the truth.

Should have paid his parking fee.

If you live and drive in Thailand you should know the procedure.

If he was back at home he would be looking at a 3000 baht fine.

They have no legal capacity to fine him at all in the UK. They can sue him for provable losses (i.e. IF he uses a private car park and doesn't pay for parking AND the car park was full AND they turned away another potential parker because the car park was full THEN they can sue him for the parking fee they lost from the new parker not being able to park and any reasonable administration costs). In practice they just write off the losses.

Edited by wprime

This was an extortion attempt as there is "no parking lot" in that area of Soi Diana.

As far as I can see this all happened ".... at a car park opposite the Diana Dragon Apartments in Soi Buakhao", not Soi Diana. And there is indeed a car park very near there. It has a sign indicating the price and a barrier indicating where the car park begins and ends.

So for me the only real question is whether the driver parked inside the car park or outside.

The victim was told to pay after returning to his truck. Now if the lot of you have ever spent any amount of time in Thailand would know, you either pay in advance or get a ticket to pay after for parking.

This is true, though I suppose the attendant may have been absent or otherwise occupied when the driver pulled up.

Of course the important point here is that no one should be beaten up with lump of wood over a 40B parking ticket. But I do wonder if the driver did anything to annoy the attendant and provoke him, albeit unwittingly?