British Resident suffers broken arm over 40 baht parking fee in Central Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean, if I understood you well, we, as "falangs", must carry vaseline and accept it? No wonder Thais think we're easy targets!

Sorry, not my style.

Good god don't any of you have any balls, do you enjoy bending over and letting any Thai give it to you, pathetic!

Here's the next victim.

It's not about having balls and bending over...it's all about life in a country that we are not originally from. It's about compromising... It's about learning to live in a different culture than our own. If you are not willing to compromise or learn the culture and want to live by your standards without a care in the world for the country you live in (Thailand), then why stay here? Why not just go back to your own country?

It's people like you who cause all the problems and then place the blame on others.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. What does compromise mean in your vocabulary? Would you agree that living in a different country that has a different culture than the one you come from must be learned and compromises must be made and adjustments must be considered? There's a give and take you have to play in this country...it's not carrying Vaseline to make sure you lube up prior to paying an overpriced parking attendant. It's just respecting the culture and or making sure you don't get attacked by 10 Thai males with knives, machetes, sticks and guns. You learn to live in this country without having to lube up!

Some yaba head street punk tries to shake down an old man, then assaults him with a deadly weapon (baseball bat size stick) when the old man tells him to piss off.

Up to now this guy has been struck with a ---piece of wood, a baseball bat, a baseballbat size piece of wood ,and a PLANK of wood. Anyone know what he was really hit with??

I know...........a parking fee.

Nice of the man in uniform to squeeze his arm to see if he was telling the truth.

Should have paid his parking fee.

If you live and drive in Thailand you should know the procedure.

If he was back at home he would be looking at a 3000 baht fine.

Do you normally pay money for parking in the street?

What?? Parking fee at 2:30 am??? It can't be true.

It was not a parking fee, it is a payment to look after his car so it does not get damaged, well it sounds like it did, i know it is stand over and wrong but sometimes better to pay and not have a problem and next time not to go back to the same place again.

Get a life mate! Nobody pays 40 baht to not damage your car for 5 minutes. Refusal to pay does not warrant kicking a car and belting it and the person with a lump of wood. Besides, when you pay people not to damage a parked car, you do so when you park your car not when you return to it.

Some yaba head street punk tries to shake down an old man, then assaults him with a deadly weapon (baseball bat size stick) when the old man tells him to piss off.

Up to now this guy has been struck with a ---piece of wood, a baseball bat, a baseballbat size piece of wood ,and a PLANK of wood. Anyone know what he was really hit with??

A TOOTHPICK!!!! Look at his reaction when the police re-enacted what occurred...he poked him too hard. LOL!

Edited by OPG

Same thing happened to me on Samui last week ,parked up for 10 minutes came back Thai approached me and demanded 20 baht for parking ,there were no signs or anything displayed I swallowed my pride and paid up so I can live to tell the story because I know what would happen if I refused , here on Samui it seems to be a popular hobby it is called " scamming farangs " !

And it will continue until you grow a pair.What if he said 1000 baht,would you pay then?

• Like 1

Some of the comments on here are unbelievable. There is no justified reason why this yob used violence to get his money. Regardless whether it was a justified charge for parking or not. Saying he would have had to pay 3000 baht fine in another country is purile and only serves to justify violence. Thailand right now is in a very bad place if people have to resort to violence of this kind. If we are using another country as examples of law then the yob in question would be charged with ABH and criminal damage. Wrong is wrong regardless of where you're from.

You are absolutely right in principle, But ABH means actual bodily harm, with this injury it would be classed as GBH, which is grievous bodily harm and in the UK it would carry a minimum sentence of 5 years in prison, I wouldn't be very happy if this was my old man and before some fool points out we are not in the UK now, I know at least that much about geography.

I've just finished reading an article by a Thai chap involved in tourism in Thailand, and he says that Thais have lost their moral compass and they need to start treating tourists a lot better rather than seeing dollar signs only. I have to say it is the most honest opinion I have heard from a Thai in a long, long time.

• Like 1

Nice of the man in uniform to squeeze his arm to see if he was telling the truth.

Agree, as far as I know this is a 24 hre. car park, and 40 Baht is very reasonable. Try telling a clamper or traffic warden back home that "I only nipped in for the newspaper". I suspect (but obviously do not know)that the attendant felt belittled by the driver's attitude and arrogant behaviour by trying to just dismiss him and drive away.

When you are being scammed,that's what you do.Back home as you call it,you get a ticket from somebody in a uniform,or a machine,and you pay same,not some dude who just walked out of the shadows.Your scam alert needs adjusting.

• Like 1

As a British resident he should have known how the situation with the parking fees here and swallowed his anger and paid up, silly man.

Doesn't deserve a beating, though.

perhaps he did and knew the brat had no right demanding money, At least he did not end up with his face smashed in with a hoe just because some scumbag felt he had lost face. Don't give into them!

I hope the British press does a story about violence in Thailand and tourists cancel their trips here.

Wake up Thailand and put your scum in jail.

Farang MUST report every 90 says while your criminals are free on the streets.

I hope this story goes viral.

It's Breaking news on BBC World as we speaks.............. Probably :rolleyes:

I believe the old fart should have just paid the 40 baht. Talk about cheap Charlie. He should have never illegally parked or gotten out of his car. Not smart to challenge a younger man.

A gutless younger man with a lump of wood.Good on the gent for standing up to corruption.We learnt about morals when we were young,something sadly lacking in todays youth.

• Like 1

We all know that this story is unfair......we all know that hitting a 70 year old man is downright sick regardless of whether he is in the right or wrong. But we all know that we need to play the game ...get ripped off every now and then and walk away.

Only a matter of time before a few expats get together and form a vigilante group to dish out some payback to the scum in this town tho. Might make the "pack" attackers think twice too !

Sure, There will be a meeting at "The Tattooed Oaf", Soi Deaddog when alan653 arrives.

Watch this space.

Edited by ford8

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Someone 70 years old should know better than to confront a teen.
The outcome was never going to be favorable.

Agreed. Unfortunately most 70 year olds have a chip on their shoulders towards teenagers.

So its ok then for a teen to hit his car? Would you also like back up with some facts regarding 70 year old having a chip on their shoulder regarding teenagers. Maybe you have the said chip on your shoulders about old people.

No its obviously not OK for the kid to hit the car, what happened before that though? What words were said? What made this kid hit the car? He didnt just do it, come on...

Fact : "Children should be seen and not heard" Quite a famous saying used by elders. It was also stated to me an "english gentleman" in a popular club in Bangkok that he wished

kids were not part of the club.

Now, can you base FACTS on me having a chip on my shoulder towards old people? FACT you cant because its a FACT that i dont have a chip on my shoulder towards old people

because its a FACT that i am renowned for helping assist with elderly people back in my community and its a FACT that its in my family that we assist with elderly people in a group

called age action.

Good god don't any of you have any balls, do you enjoy bending over and letting any Thai give it to you, pathetic!

Here's the next victim.

It's not about having balls and bending over...it's all about life in a country that we are not originally from. It's about compromising... It's about learning to live in a different culture than our own. If you are not willing to compromise or learn the culture and want to live by your standards without a care in the world for the country you live in (Thailand), then why stay here? Why not just go back to your own country?

It's people like you who cause all the problems and then place the blame on others.

Utter rubbish,they don't try that bit of culture on Thai blokes do they,and i know what would happen if they did.

Here's the next victim.

Nope. You've got it <deleted>-backwards. It's people like you that encourage scum like this to do what they do.

We're all entitled to our own opinion and I know yours and you know mine. That's the end.

Absolutely no changing of minds then, not very learned.

He should not have gotten out of the vehicle to confront the guy.

He should have reversed and then hit him with the car.

If someone picks up a weapon, you need to use a bigger one.

You have to appreciate some of these car parks are casual, ie someone is charging without any authority, more opportunistic. At 2.30am, I would not expect an attendant to still be working!

There is also this great bike/carpark at Dong Tan Beach, near the policebox.

Bikes cost THB 10 and for cars I don't know.

If you ask for a ticket, you'll get one, but it won't make sense, because by the time you are heading home......the parking attendants have left. sad.png

Way off Rhythm.

This is a young punk who took advantage of a pensioner.

Really brave of him.