Bangkok: Asoke-area woman suffocates herself to death after row with boyfriend

webfact

where can you buy helium? sounds a pretty painless way to fly away

Not really. Your lungs collapse, and that can be painful.

Not true. I've inhaled helium many times and never felt any pain or had problems with my lungs.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jacky54, on 06 Oct 2014 - 12:15, said:

snapback.png

Not a laughing matter

Was the pun intended or not?

I think you need to clear up the inaccuracies surrounding this tragedy.

If you're referring to 'laughing gas' then I'm afraid you've got the wrong gas. Laughing gas is Nitrous Oxide (N2O) and is the stuff used by dentists to knock people out and makes them laugh when they wake up. Helium (H2) on the other hand does not make you laugh. But it does make your voice change to a higher pitch when inhaled. And it makes your party balloons float.

So I'm afraid helium is no laughing matter; and nitrous oxide is.

Thank you for the clarification.

I've yet to wake up laughing at a dentists.

• Like 1

Not a laughing matter

You're the laughing matter. You're confusing helium and nitrous oxide (so called laughing gas).

Doesn't matter....it was still quick and witty!......I'm sure he understands the gas differences

Edited by ChrisY1

jacky54, on 06 Oct 2014 - 12:15, said:

snapback.png

Not a laughing matter

I think you need to clear up the inaccuracies surrounding this tragedy.

If you're referring to 'laughing gas' then I'm afraid you've got the wrong gas. Laughing gas is Nitrous Oxide (N2O) and is the stuff used by dentists to knock people out and makes them laugh when they wake up. Helium (H2) on the other hand does not make you laugh. But it does make your voice change to a higher pitch when inhaled. And it makes your party balloons float.

So I'm afraid helium is no laughing matter; and nitrous oxide is.

I think you will find helium's symbol is He and not H2 which is diatomic hydrogen gas

Edited by guru

Sad ending . RIP. I can remember when the dentist used to use nitrous oxide ( "the gas" as it was known). Much better than painful needles. I ask for it sometimes but THEY just laugh and say "no more".

Poor thing. RIP. People just go to pieces over .. well.. nothing, over a fight? we all have fights with TGF or any woman. Sometimes I don't think people realize how permanent death is. Why not stay on just for the hell of it? and don't think to much!!

If someone feels that their life is not worth living due to a bad relationship or other problems, why not simply walk away from your life and dedicate your life to assist those in need - devote the rest of your life to an orphanage or in a hospice - if your current life is not worth living - then donate that life to help those in need. you might just find out how precious life can be.

Despite the rather shallow attempts at wisdom here, this is really tragic. It's been said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Have we become so divorced from each other's pain that we laugh at the results? Yes, this is a strange way to commit suicide and invites all kinds of snide commentary, but...why? She was someone that was no less human than you or I.

PIGS!

Maybe we have become indifferent because of volume -- we read about 10,000 in an earthquake, 40,000 in an air raid and decide...it's easier not to care at all. Congratulations on losing your humanity. It's fun on blogs that people can spout trendy and quick anecdotes.

There are people crying about this right now, weeping because someone they love made a very permanent decision -- there is saline coming from their eyes and pain pouring from their hearts and unanswered questions that will never be answered -- but we amuse ourselves with quips because...it scares us. Laughing protects us, we think, but it doesn't. This same kind of tragedy will touch you too, and you will regret being a complete dork.

Nobody would think about cracking jokes like this about the two murdered Brits in the south. Good show. It's not different. That's the superiority of Western thinking!

No wonder they think the west is inferior.....when it comes to consideration, Americans and Brits are at the low end of the compassion scale, when it even registers at all. I hope none of her relatives even see this, and they might -- Thais are much more interested here than before the coup.

1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 2

Sad ending . RIP. I can remember when the dentist used to use nitrous oxide ( "the gas" as it was known). Much better than painful needles. I ask for it sometimes but THEY just laugh and say "no more".

I wish Father Jack had not retired....

Despite the rather shallow attempts at wisdom here, this is really tragic. It's been said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Have we become so divorced from each other's pain that we laugh at the results? Yes, this is a strange way to commit suicide and invites all kinds of snide commentary, but...why? She was someone that was no less human than you or I.

PIGS!

Maybe we have become indifferent because of volume -- we read about 10,000 in an earthquake, 40,000 in an air raid and decide...it's easier not to care at all. Congratulations on losing your humanity. It's fun on blogs that people can spout trendy and quick anecdotes.

There are people crying about this right now, weeping because someone they love made a very permanent decision -- there is saline coming from their eyes and pain pouring from their hearts and unanswered questions that will never be answered -- but we amuse ourselves with quips because...it scares us. Laughing protects us, we think, but it doesn't. This same kind of tragedy will touch you too, and you will regret being a complete dork.

Nobody would think about cracking jokes like this about the two murdered Brits in the south. Good show. It's not different. That's the superiority of Western thinking!

No wonder they think the west is inferior.....when it comes to consideration, Americans and Brits are at the low end of the compassion scale, when it even registers at all. I hope none of her relatives even see this, and they might -- Thais are much more interested here than before the coup.

Two young kids on holiday....being bashed to death, and raped, does not, IMO, compare to some woman inhaling Helium in a suicide attempt.

There is a marked difference........!

Yes....some jokes, about the unfortunate cycle of suicides here in Thailand....that seem to become more bizarre on a regular occurrence........but I don't think any of us on TV have any less or more remorse to any reports of death.

• Like 1

PIGS!

I understand your sentiment entirely. The issue is just how different these deaths are. 1 involves an individual making a poor (and surreal) decision for themselves. The other involves 2 people having all choice taken from them in the most dehumanizing and violent manner with no sign of true justice. Nonetheless you are right that it is in bad taste to laugh. Remember that we are laughing at the absurdity of the method not the tragic choice that led to it.

• Like 1

Helium gas isn't toxic nor does it collapse your lungs. It's one of the noble gases and is inert and unreactive. However, when you breath it in like that via a plastic bag, you die rapidly from hypoxia within about 15 seconds. Nitrogen gas has the same effect. Hypoxia is what sometimes kills pilots and passengers at altitude when the oxygen levels drop too low.

• Like 1

Helium gas isn't toxic nor does it collapse your lungs. It's one of the noble gases and is inert and unreactive. However, when you breath it in like that via a plastic bag, you die rapidly from hypoxia within about 15 seconds. Nitrogen gas has the same effect. Hypoxia is what sometimes kills pilots and passengers at altitude when the oxygen levels drop too low.

More information here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag on the method used.