The Greatest Thai Mystery

Sigurris

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great Mystery indeed, ranks alongside the disappearance of Jim Thompson....

I'd say that MK seems to have a bit of 'status' attached to it as it seems to be 'in vogue' at the moment, though try telling the missus you'll be taking her to MK for your next big night out and see her reaction then....

I love the Moo-daeng there and the ability to order a stack of vegetables and cook them to my own liking (less than a minute for the spinach). I wouldn't go there every day, but I do always enjoy my food from there.

• Like 1

Not really a fan of MK but the hot pot doesn't have to be bland. Spice it up with the sauce, chili, and garlic and you're set.

I wish some big company like MK would try to make SECHUAN hot pot popular in Thailand, with the numbing Sechuan peppercorns, but I've been told Thai people generally find that experience disturbing.

post-37101-0-69297400-1412581049_thumb.j

MK is just the (corporate) mass market version of Thai style hot pot.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Im not a great fan of the soup- but order lots of duck / crispy pork and broccoli in oyster sauce- Dim Sum also.

It's a case of I don't like it too much, but Thai friends and family do see it as a bit of a treat and enjoy it. So I think of what they like and make sure they have a good time and don't worry about myself.

I agree with you OP. Another mystery to me is why do people buy water in food courts when there is free water available? ....Ah heck...while I'm at it...why do people wear hats and sunglasses indoors? Is it because they think there might be a sudden burst of rain coming in through a hole in the roof or a sudden shaft of light might shine directly in their eyes and maybe blind them?....maybe for the same reasons....to be cool. Another word for it could be... vanity.

I also find MK boring and bland and overpriced for what you get

I love the Chinese style hotpot - great food and great soup/sauce..

Found a great place in Gateway who do all you can eat buffet style for around 400 baht - mix your own dipping sauce - the soup however is nothing special..

It's a bit insipid but if you spark it up with sauces they provide, then just about edible. Not something I would go out of my way for. The food served in the food halls is much better. Cooked in front of you, tastier and cheaper.The added bonus is that you can people watch.

I've never been able to understand MK either. Bland and expensive. I don't even go there if someone else is paying, it's just awful.

If you want hotpot there are lots of Moo Kata restaurants that provide much better food at a better price.