Why isn't Hyundai a better seller in Tailand?

giddyup

Hyundai is putting out some very stylish, quality cars and SUV's these days, but the Thais don't appear to accept the brand. I don't know if it's because it Korean or they just stick to what they know. I saw some pics of this Veloster and thought they were worth sharing. Sorry, tried to edit the misspelling of Thailand, wouldn't let me do it.

post-130068-0-01329400-1412592992_thumb.

post-130068-0-66648400-1412593010_thumb.

post-130068-0-86140300-1412593027_thumb.

post-130068-0-74546000-1412593050_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Service is worse than Ford.

Have you owned a Hyundai in Thailand, or is that just another of your throwaway lines? Other than oil changes I doubt very much in the way of servicing is needed. I had a Hyundai Getz in Australia, 5 year warranty, never did anything but change the oil 5 times in 5 years.

Edited by giddyup

Have you owned a Hyundai in Thailand, or is that just another of your throwaway lines? Other than oil changes I doubt very much in the way of servicing is needed. I had a Hyundai Getz in Australia, 5 year warranty, never did anything but change the oil 5 times in 5 years.

I think that Honda & Toyota are ingrained in to Thai culture, that's why all the other asian

manufacturers are not as popular.

I wanted to buy a kia wife says ooo darling must buy toyota or izuzu this number one so i bought a honda she said that ok..

as said above ingrained but i know it is face to me a car is a car in the UK kia has a good name..

• Like 1

Imported cars cost more. Imported cars do not retain their value as well as mass-produced in Thailand cars. Imported cars lack a comprehensive service and parts network.

Hyundai, Kia, Ssangyong all suffer the same fate in Thailand as with any other major brands that don't have factories here.

It is protectionism.

There is a free-trade agreement with South Korea but it only covers people carriers from Korea like Ssangyong Stavic, etcetera.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that Huyandai are assembling a model in Malaysia thus lower prices than the imported models. I can't remember the model but it goes into the roughly 750,000 to 900,000 baht range.

I'd buy one instead of a Toyota, Honda or Mitsubishi as Hyundai have really stepped up their game in the last few years.

As other ex owners have pointed out - a decent car for the money.

I read somewhere that Huyandai are assembling a model in Malaysia thus lower prices than the imported models. I can't remember the model but it goes into the roughly 750,000 to 900,000 baht range.

I'd buy one instead of a Toyota, Honda or Mitsubishi as Hyundai have really stepped up their game in the last few years.

As other ex owners have pointed out - a decent car for the money.

Yes that one is here.. https://www.hyundai-motor.co.th/ElantraSport/ starts @ 749,000 baht.

Believe there will be 4 models here coming from Indonesia and Malaysia, so a lot cheaper... as not full imports duty..

My Friend has a new SUV type one,very nice hes a Rep,only can get their attention in BKK no where else much in Thailand, so hes takes it to Australia for service. Any Vehicle is only as good as its aftersales service.

My Friend has a new SUV type one,very nice hes a Rep,only can get their attention in BKK no where else much in Thailand, so hes takes it to Australia for service. Any Vehicle is only as good as its aftersales service.

What, he takes the vehicle from Thailand to Australia to be serviced ?

Does he fly it there or puts it in a sea container ?

AOP i won't let the mods delete a word but you know what your talking, stay off the juiceburp.gif

That's just plain ridiculous and typical of an AOP comment. Besides the huge cost of shipping the car to Australia and back (why not take it to Malaysia, plenty of Hyundais there) just for a service, there would be plenty of local mechanics who could perform the task in Thailand. What the hell do you think they do on an average service, overhaul the engine? They do an oil change and not much more.

That's just plain ridiculous and typical of an AOP comment. Besides the huge cost of shipping the car to Australia and back (why not take it to Malaysia, plenty of Hyundais there) just for a service, there would be plenty of local mechanics who could perform the task in Thailand. What the hell do you think they do on an average service, overhaul the engine? They do an oil change and not much more.

Loads in Savanakhet so would be a lot cheaper to drive to Laos

In Australia Hyundai have a better name now than they did in the early years. Some of the smaller cars were not very good at all, but new models like the i-30 (Elantra in Thailand?) are selling well because they come with plenty of features at an attractive price, and drive a lot better. Mazda 3 and Focus sell well in Australia and the i-30 can't be far behind.

Problem until very recently that their cars were more expensive than their locally assembled/build competitors from Japan. Usually people bought Kias and Hyundais because they were cheaper than the Japs. Not here in Thailand, so not make too much sense.

Now the ASEAN import from Malaysia is good so we might see more models soon at competitive prices.

For me the Elantra is still priced to close to a Mazda 3, etc. Maybe better specs, but much less resale.

The Veloster is crazy priced for the Turbo model....rather get a Volvo V40 for that money.

Would love to see the Tucson in 4WD at just over 1m.

• Like 1

He probably has a magic carpet after he has consumed some of AOP's magic mushrooms ! giggle.gif

• Like 1

It would be like driving a green house.

Not to mention the front and rear are butt ugly.

Some people only like vanilla icecream and they only like vanilla cars.

You seemed to be confused between ugly and vanilla.

You stick with the safe "cookie cutter" shapes, obviously anything that differs too far from the conventional offends your blancmange tastes.

Edited by giddyup