Vacation rental property deposit

I am negotiating (via email) with a real estate agent to rent a house in Phuket for 6 months - I am still in Canada at the moment. The agent is asking for the payment of a 2 month deposit (80,000 bht) to be paid up front first (which I would have to send by wire transfer), then she would send me a lease agreement that both I and the owner would sign. The first month's rent would then be paid on my arrival and move-in date. I've rented properties there several times before but always was there at the time and a receipt for any deposit was easy to obtain. Is there some recommended way to safeguard my deposit payment in my current situation without involving a lawyer and sending it to them in trust? Also, am I in my right to ask for a photocopy of the property deed showing the legal description of the property and the owner's name that I will be making rent payment to?

Also, the real estate agent is 'Sales Manager' of a website which lists 100's of properties for rent/sale, however this particular property is not currently listed on the website - the agent posted the info and photos of the property on a Facebook group page and that's where I found it.

Edited by sunluvr

You need to see a lease contract BEFORE paying any deposit,also

can you not offer a much smaller deposit,say 10K THB, and pay the

rest of deposit and first months rent ,AFTER you have viewed the

Villa,and are satisfied with the property.

regards Worgeordie.

• Like 2

i do that 4 years ago rented a house in koh samui paid 10000 bt deposit when we arrived in koh samui the real estate agent was not there,we go to the police they dont care,so we go to a hotel and look for a new house,we loose are money,so no, do not send any money.the web site show a lot very good photo,we got a contract in english all that was a scam!

find some one in phuket to go check the house,and dont paye to much deposite!

i am in phuket give me the name of the real estate and address i be checking for you if you like.

I have asked for a copy of the property deed and would only send a deposit payment to an account in the the name shown on the deed. I have been told by the agent that the owner is a foreigner and have been sent a sample lease agreement - in english only. As foreigners cannot directly own property, i'm not holding my hopes up on this one..

UPDATE - Yesterday, the agent sent me copies of documents that show the property deed in the name of the foreigner's Thai wife's name, and a document that shows his name on a 30 year lease from his wife. I have accepted that as sufficient documentation to send a deposit to his Thai bank account, and for the lease agreement with me to be in his name. Documents are in both Thai and English.

• Like 1