I want the change handed back to me.

Costas2008

Costas, for what it's worth, it's exactly the same here in Cambodia.

As an aside, when I lived in TL, I could order food in Thai no problem. Same restaurant a few days later with a Thai partner in tow, I would order the same food from the same waitress and she would look at my partner bemused as she apparently didn't understand me that time?! For a quiet life I resorted to handing the cash to my partner to pay who usually checked the bill rather more diligently than I did. There was no point in me getting stressed about it.

That said, one man's meat.......

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Costas, for what it's worth, it's exactly the same here in Cambodia.

As an aside, when I lived in TL, I could order food in Thai no problem. Same restaurant a few days later with a Thai partner in tow, I would order the same food from the same waitress and she would look at my partner bemused as she apparently didn't understand me that time?! For a quiet life I resorted to handing the cash to my partner to pay who usually checked the bill rather more diligently than I did. There was no point in me getting stressed about it.

That said, one man's meat.......

That has also happened to me. Freaks me out a bit. But, also when taking a taxi home and my wife tells the driver where to go and he looks at her with a blank expression, I tell her, "Tell him Ban Farang." She does and we go home because everybody remembers me but few people remember my wife (or any other Thai person).

Quite a few "I speak to them in Thai and they just look at me" type comments.

Just a thought, but maybe your Thai isn't quite as good as you think?

I was talking to the maid in the hotel for quite some time in my excellent Thai when my wife told me, "Dear, she doesn't understand a word you are saying because she is Burmese and does not speak Thai."

• Like 1

I was talking to the maid in the hotel for quite some time in my excellent Thai when my wife told me, "Dear, she doesn't understand a word you are saying because she is Burmese and does not speak Thai."

and I have no doubt that no matter how correct our thai is, we will always speak with a very strange accent which will be very difficult to understand for a waitress.

and I have no doubt that no matter how correct our thai is, we will always speak with a very strange accent which will be very difficult to understand for a waitress.

Yet they seem to get confused, bewildered and sometimes even angry when we don't understand the gobblety gook they spout when they think they are speaking English.

Yet they seem to get confused, bewildered and sometimes even angry when we don't understand the gobblety gook they spout when they think they are speaking English.

never had anyone angry at me for that

• Like 1

Who are they? Thai teachers, Thai doctors, Thai business men? Do you mean all Thai people? Or farmers or policeman who is they? Why have you spoken to that responded in gobblety gook and they got angry you didn't understand it. I had a friend from Scotland that I couldn't understand on the phone; in person I could get some visual clues as to what he was saying so that was OK. Could you be a bit more specific as to whom is they.

I never had this problem myself. However if you're not polite or dress like a tourist inside fancy thai restaurants you might be ignored completely. I always try to be as polite as possble. I am treated more badly at 7 elevens , they wont even look at you when they hand back the change.

We don't exist here, we are merely coming to life when with other Thai whom act as validation.

Today I went to complain because my moban is not providing me with the same bus service as Thai people.

The officer had to call my landlord, and talk to it about it. He does not know much about it but he's my Thai representative.

Also many people jump queues in front of me... I don't exist...

"Today I went to complain because my moban is not providing me with the same bus service as Thai people." ... that is really strange and, to be honest, I don't really understand how that could happen.

Could you explain some more please?

The mooban provides a songtao service to the khlong for only 7B.

Every month we (mooban residents) pay to have this service along with garden maintenance etc...

But now 80% of drivers refuse to take me on their truck. They just drive by. They say "it's not my country here".

When I talk to anyone about it, most people agree, that here being "not my country" I should not have the save advantages as Thai people even though Ipay for it, and I should be discriminated against.

Everyone seems to find this sheer racism "normal".

This is Thailand !

Edited by Kitsune

Who are they? Thai teachers, Thai doctors, Thai business men? Do you mean all Thai people? Or farmers or policeman who is they? Why have you spoken to that responded in gobblety gook and they got angry you didn't understand it. I had a friend from Scotland that I couldn't understand on the phone; in person I could get some visual clues as to what he was saying so that was OK. Could you be a bit more specific as to whom is they.

My answer to that first off would be who is "WE" as in "and I have no doubt that no matter how correct our thai is, we will always speak with a very strange accent which will be very difficult to understand for a waitress."

I might even respond by saying "speak for yourself jerk; just because you sound terrible when you speak Thai doesn't mean I do........"

To the point; waitress comes up to me at restaurant "you want fit," she gets a bewildered look from me; again louder "you want fit?" you want fit?" after smiling and shaking my head while saying :er.. pardon me" she turns her back and storms off.

You like nurses eh; one once told me I should use wicwapowump when I had a cold....after a few exchanges and me not knowing what on earth she was talking about, she got in a huff and left.

Plenty more I can think of....

Yeah, why can't they speak better English? This is Asia, after all...

Who says they should speak English? I can converse with them just fine in Thai. This is Thailand; not sure if you knew that or not.......I sure do, that is why I have learned to speak Thaiwink.png

What bothers me is when they INSIST on speaking English and all that comes out of their mouth is gobblety gook, and then they cop an attitude when I have no idea what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Who says they should speak English? I can converse with them just fine in Thai. This is Thailand; not sure if you knew that or not.......I sure do, that is why I have learned to speak Thaiwink.png

What bothers me is when they INSIST on speaking English and all that comes out of their mouth is gobblety gook, and then they cop an attitude when I have no idea what they are talking about.

I'm sure many of them feel the same about your thai

We don't exist here, we are merely coming to life when with other Thai whom act as validation.

Today I went to complain because my moban is not providing me with the same bus service as Thai people.

The officer had to call my landlord, and talk to it about it. He does not know much about it but he's my Thai representative.

"Today I went to complain because my moban is not providing me with the same bus service as Thai people." ... that is really strange and, to be honest, I don't really understand how that could happen.

Every month we (mooban residents) pay to have this service along with garden maintenance etc...

But now 80% of drivers refuse to take me on their truck. They just drive by. They say "it's not my country here".

When I talk to anyone about it, most people agree, that here being "not my country" I should not have the save advantages as Thai people even though Ipay for it, and I should be discriminated against.

This is Thailand !

I suspect that maybe you have done or said something to offend the drivers..maybe something that you had and have no idea was offensive??

I have never been ignored here. On occasion, I have been over charged for a service since I am a foreigner, but never ignored.

When I have lived in an area long enough to become known by the locals, I am treated the same and sometimes better than everyone else in the neighborhood.

Maybe my situation is different from your's.

I am in an area with very few farangs and very few Thais here have had to tolerate the typical rude westerner found in areas more frequented by westerners.

Those of us who are here are here with our Thai families and participate in the community events and perform various community services, like the other residents do.

We are treated well and with respect.

I know some who can only judge from their experience will say I only imagine this, but judging from my experience, it is pretty real.

I have one question for you.

What kind of mooban do you live in where they provide bus service, garden maintenance etc.???

Sounds pretty high class to me!

This is Thailand !

I suspect that maybe you have done or said something to offend the drivers..maybe something that you had and have no idea was offensive??

I have never been ignored here. On occasion, I have been over charged for a service since I am a foreigner, but never ignored.

When I have lived in an area long enough to become known by the locals, I am treated the same and sometimes better than everyone else in the neighborhood.

I am in an area with very few farangs and very few Thais here have had to tolerate the typical rude westerner found in areas more frequented by westerners.

Those of us who are here are here with our Thai families and participate in the community events and perform various community services, like the other residents do.

I know some who can only judge from their experience will say I only imagine this, but judging from my experience, it is pretty real.

What kind of mooban do you live in where they provide bus service, garden maintenance etc.???

I obviously don't know the real story here, but I always find it amusing when people complain about being treated badly by a Thai and another westerner's response is "you must have done something to offend them," like the possibility of a Thai just being a jerk isn't possible.

Can you imagine if some jerk in England rudely told a Thai person to "bugger off" for no good reason after being asked "excuse me sir, where is the bus station; then the Thai tells his Thai friend and the friend says "you must have done something wrong"

Nope, would never, ever, ever happen.

coffee1.gif In the US they shame you by asking 'do you want your change back?'. bah.gif

I have never been asked that in the U.S. I have, however, withheld a tip when the service was beyond terrible and been berated by a waiter for it!

And I hope you berated the waiter in return - AND continued to withhold the tip.

Remember - "Tips are for the customer to give, NOT for the service person to take"

The Thais themselves said it.

They have the ASEAN next year and by then every country should be able to use English to communicate with others.

But apparently they are ready

There is a fruit vendor I've been buying from for years here.

He was busier than usual but I got in line.

A group of Thais came up and got in front of me, I sincerely think I was literally invisible to this group.

I wasn't going to fight but the vendor didn't react either (I might have made an issue of it if I thought he cared as he's the boss there).

From a business POV, weird, as I just walked away ... not worth the wait.

These things happen here, and yes of course it is a kind of racism. You can't fight it, you can't change the "culture" here on how so many Thais view (or don't view) foreigners. Either accept it as part of the deal of living here or make yourself crazy about it.

Oh well!

Happens a lot to me but....When they try to give the change to my wife I motion to me and take it. When the Thais push in front of me in line I wait until the person who was originally in front of me is finished then I step forward and say, 'I am next." and smile at all the line crashers. Yes we are invisible to most Thais but you can make your self seen if you wish. I try to think of it as a 'teachable moment' for the Thais. Uphill battle.

• Like 1

Social class is alive and well in every culture and country in the world (well the ones I have been to anyway).

Be the change you want to see in the world. Do you treat everyone as equal?

If not, don't expect it in return.

And amazingly, a Thai farmers daughter is above a retired civil servant from England.

And an English farmers daughter is higher than a retired civil servant from Thailand... if you live in England that is

It's kinda sad how many elitist farangs there are in Thailand

It's no surprise we are treated poorly in some situations

If I had a satang for every time I heard a farang put down a Thai while at the same time planning to live in Thailand for the rest of their life....

Edited by Tuskfish

.... It's kinda sad how many elitist farangs there are in Thailand .......

If I had a satang for every time I heard a farang put down a Thai while at the same time planning ......

You do understand "farang = caucasian", are you a racist of some sort, do you have something against foreigners of other races.

Just wondering as I'm not caucasian, and don't really understand why so many posters only want to talk about the actions of white folk.

There are many foreigners, from many other ethnic backgrounds, who also put down Thais.

Which is worse "elitist farang" or "racist bigot".

Quite amusing to see one ranting about the other!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I obviously don't know the real story here, but I always find it amusing when people complain about being treated badly by a Thai and another westerner's response is "you must have done something to offend them," like the possibility of a Thai just being a jerk isn't possible.

Can you imagine if some jerk in England rudely told a Thai person to "bugger off" for no good reason after being asked "excuse me sir, where is the bus station; then the Thai tells his Thai friend and the friend says "you must have done something wrong"

Nope, would never, ever, ever happen.

Asking for directions in East St Louis (Furgeson so much in the news lately is in East St Louis.

They are most likely just shy. Things don't work here the same way as in your homeland, and it's silly to think that it should.

Dishes come out when they are ready here. They don't serve everything at the same time. Change is given to someone that looks more Asian than you because it's a matter of comfort and avoiding an awkward situation - not because they are being racist.

Just relax...as long as you get your change, who cares? Thailand isn't about being efficient.

how the hell is giving change back to someone who paid avoiding an awkward situation?

Edited by woo00ooo
  • Like 1

They are most likely just shy. Things don't work here the same way as in your homeland, and it's silly to think that it should.

Dishes come out when they are ready here. They don't serve everything at the same time. Change is given to someone that looks more Asian than you because it's a matter of comfort and avoiding an awkward situation - not because they are being racist.

Just relax...as long as you get your change, who cares? Thailand isn't about being efficient.

how the hell is giving change back to someone who paid avoiding an awkward situation?

because they are afraid of a confrontaion in case the recipient disagrees with the amount and complains in a language or accent that cannot understand. many thais are shy of contact ith farang and if a thai is handy, they will deal with them.

• Like 1

because they are afraid of a confrontaion in case the recipient disagrees with the amount and complains in a language or accent that cannot understand. many thais are shy of contact ith farang and if a thai is handy, they will deal with them.

The kid on the photo just asked.......him again ?

post-179267-0-58775900-1412810549_thumb.