US rebuff to gay marriage opponents

webfact

US rebuff to gay marriage opponents

WASHINGTON: -- The US Supreme Court has rejected appeals against gay marriage in five states - Indiana, Utah, Oklahoma, Virginia and Wisconsin.

The move increases the number of states where same-sex marriage is legal to 30, plus the District of Columbia.

By declining to hear the appeals, the court left intact lower court rulings that had struck down those state bans.

Support for gay marriage in the US has gained momentum since the Supreme Court delivered two landmark rulings in 2013.

Monday's ruling means that the nine justices of the court have stopped short from resolving the question of same-sex marriage nationwide.

But it was received rapturously by gay marriage campaigners.

"Today is a joyous day for thousands of couples across America who will immediately feel the impact of today's Supreme Court action," said Chad Griffin, president of Human Rights Campaign.

But he urged the court to tackle "a complex and discriminatory patchwork of marriage laws" that remain in place.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29508566

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-07

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The supreme court has been sending mixed messages lately. For awhile it looked like they were gearing up to make the final, definitive ruling that would in effect legalize same sex marriage in all 50 states (making discrimination against that unconstitutional). However, NOW, in simplistic terms, the message seems to be ... the issue is already won for the marriage equality supporters ... but just LET IT HAPPEN organically and don't even bother to rush to make that definitive ruling, at least soon. In either case, yes, this all does mean victory for marriage equality supporters in the USA ... what isn't known yet are the specific details on how the inevitable 50 state inclusion will happen, and exactly when. But it will happen ... you can bet the house on that now.

Another sign that this civil rights battle is won ... the traditionally anti-gay right wing republican party is not even using marriage equality opposition as important part in their upcoming campaigns. That has always worked for them in the past, even credited with winning a presidential election for Bush. But they can read the polls ... the majority now support marriage equality.

Edited by Jingthing

"Unfortunately some alleged Christians spend most of their time judging others and too little time putting their own houses in order."

Suradit69, I agree with you.

Some posters have much in common with the Christians you refered to.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

Isn't that a bible word?

The Rapture makes reference to a Biblical expectation of uplifting, but the word "rapture" is not in the Bible and certainly "rapturously" is not.

It's pure BBC in this case, but then I suppose words like "the" and "received" are Bible words in the sense that they appear in English versions of the Bible.

And of course the favorite word of those who (mis)use the Bible as an assault weapon is "abomination," such when attacking those vile people who eat shrimp:

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

Rapture IS a bible word for the only reason that if you mention the word to Christians, they will immediately think of the bible. How often do you hear this word outside of the bible?

Rapturously is the adverb of rapture. Therefore, it is a bible word too.

It is obvious the writer used the word intentionally to insert their own skewed opinion of the subject.

Isn't that a bible word?

The Rapture makes reference to a Biblical expectation of uplifting, but the word "rapture" is not in the Bible and certainly "rapturously" is not.

It's pure BBC in this case, but then I suppose words like "the" and "received" are Bible words in the sense that they appear in English versions of the Bible.

And of course the favorite word of those who (mis)use the Bible as an assault weapon is "abomination," such when attacking those vile people who eat shrimp:

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

Rapture IS a bible word for the only reason that if you mention the word to Christians, they will immediately think of the bible. How often do you hear this word outside of the bible?

It is obvious the writer used the word intentionally to insert their own skewed opinion of the subject.

How often do you hear it in the Bible considering that its origins are in the 1600s?

rapture (n.) dictionary.gif c.1600, "act of carrying off," from Middle French rapture, from Medieval Latin raptura "seizure, rape, kidnapping," from Latin raptus "a carrying off, abduction, snatching away; rape" (see rapt). Earliest attested use in English is of women and in 17c. it sometimes meant rape (v.), which word is a cognate of this. Sense of "spiritual ecstasy, state of mental transport" first recorded c.1600 (raptures).

Edited by sustento

Isn't that a bible word?

How often do you hear it in the Bible considering that its origins are in the 1600s?

rapture (n.) dictionary.gif c.1600, "act of carrying off," from Middle French rapture, from Medieval Latin raptura "seizure, rape, kidnapping," from Latin raptus "a carrying off, abduction, snatching away; rape" (see rapt). Earliest attested use in English is of women and in 17c. it sometimes meant rape (v.), which word is a cognate of this. Sense of "spiritual ecstasy, state of mental transport" first recorded c.1600 (raptures).

Well, since nobody reads bibles that old or older, what is in bibles before then or up to that point is not relevant. It is in the King James version now. And, as I said, you say the word 'rapture' to most Christians and they will think of the bible.

So, perhaps saying it is a 'bible' word is incorrect. It is a Christian-friendly word.

Either way, it is obvious the writer used it to insert their view in an very sneaky and underhanded way. There are PLENTY of other words that would have fit and been more easily understood.

Someone mentioned the BBC earlier. Are these the kinds of nuts they hire to report their news now?

Well, since nobody reads bibles that old or older, what is in bibles before then or up to that point is not relevant. It is in the King James version now. And, as I said, you say the word 'rapture' to most Christians and they will think of the bible.

So, perhaps saying it is a 'bible' word is incorrect. It is a Christian-friendly word.

Either way, it is obvious the writer used it to insert their view in an very sneaky and underhanded way. There are PLENTY of other words that would have fit and been more easily understood.

Someone mentioned the BBC earlier. Are these the kinds of nuts they hire to report their news now?

Doing a search of an online version of the King James Bible I am unable to find a single occurrence of the word 'rapture'.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

I think when you say 'most Christians' you probably mean 'most American Christians'. It's not a word in common use amongst Christians in the UK.

BTW the original King James Bible was published in 1611.

Doing a search of an online version of the King James Bible I am unable to find a single occurrence of the word 'rapture'.

I think when you say 'most Christians' you probably mean 'most American Christians'. It's not a word in common use amongst Christians in the UK.

I just called 3 of my English friends and asked them what they thought when they hear the word 'rapture'. Every one of them mentioned the bible or some other Christian reference.

So, according to my poll, you may be mistaken about U.K. Christians and their thoughts about the word rapture.

Of course, I did not poll any Irish. They may be the exception.biggrin.png

Why is it the English so often think they are above this type of small thinking and reserve it just for Americans? I've met enough English to know they can be just as stupid and arrogant as any American.

It appears to me that the SCOTUS has decided this is a State's Rights issue and has thrown it back on the various states to decide their own fate.

Rather a sensible conclusion in my mind.

@ Trentham:

I've seen your post #12 before and I found it as funny this time as the first time around. I'm a Christian by the way.

I wouldn't recommend Dr. Schlesinger do something similar to the Koran. We don't need any more reasons for them to take the law into their own hands

Edited by chuckd

You called three of your English friends in the past 10 minutes in order to prove me wrong? Wow.

I didn't say that Americans were 'small thinking'. I said they're familiar with the concept of the rapture whereas those in the UK are not.

This discussion is bizarre. Just figure out the CONTEXT of the use of the word rapturously in this news item. It has NOTHING to do with any religious connotations. There is a major news story here and the discussion here is about the use a word? Weird.

Next ...

• Like 1

This discussion is bizarre. Just figure out the CONTEXT of the use of the word rapturously in this news item. It has NOTHING to do with any religious connotations. There is a major news story here and the discussion here is about the use a word? Weird.

Next ...

It is an important news story. I am so glad to see my country catching-up on such an important issue.

However, it is apparent that the author of the story does not agree and chose to use a word that is so easily associated with Christianity. Sure, the verb form of the word fits, but there are much-much better words to use but they chose this one somewhat obscure word.

You called three of your English friends in the past 10 minutes in order to prove me wrong? Wow.

I didn't say that Americans were 'small thinking'. I said they're familiar with the concept of the rapture whereas those in the UK are not.

You're correct. I guess I just get tired of UKians talking in a way that sounds like they are above things Americans are not.

A real ad:

post-37101-0-77550000-1412676718_thumb.j

NOW the majority of U.S. states have marriage equality and the majority of Americans live in marriage equality states.

Opponents of U.S. marriage equality ... it's as good as over.

Edited by Jingthing

You're correct. I guess I just get tired of UKians talking in a way that sounds like they are above things Americans are not.

Mention "Rapture " to me, and I automatically thought of an American.

Her name was Debbie Harry tongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 2

Mention "Rapture " to me, and I automatically thought of an American.

Her name was Debbie Harry tongue.pngtongue.png

HA! I thought you were going to say George W.

So? gay people can be christian as well or is there some ruling from god that says that they can't? Oh yeah, they can't be the "RIGHT" sort of christian!! tongue.pngwai.gif

Who is God ? I could go on but each to his own.