Traffic cops offered cash to turn down bribes

Lite Beer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey BIB, want some fast money. Accuse a farang of offering a bribe.

If this is legitimate, that is precisely what is going to happen. Tough to get your footing in a land where the ground is continually shifting beneath your feet, eh?

While I agree it is basically a bribe to refuse bribes, which seems very TIT, it might actually work. It would make more sense though to offer the reward to drivers who catch a police officer asking for or accepting a bribe - or perhaps do it both ways?

I agree, this could be the start of something good, maybe the only way to prevent bribes in Thailand.

Can Farangs get work permits to be policemen? I'm in - working 3 - 4 days a month should about do it. Nice little earner!

If they paid higher wages and provided basics such as uniforms, motorcycle, gun(!) then maybe more would want to join - allowing them to choose the best - not take the desperate. Raise the bar a few notches. Quite a few..

I really do feel for the police who are genuinely in the force because they want to serve and protect. Unfortunately it appears they are in the minority.

Most definitely instruct police to wear body cams. with video and audio evidence required to win the jackpot! But please, don't make them pay for the cams... facepalm.gif

The problem I see is that some poor bugger will be singled out and falsely accused of offering a bribe, it's then your word against his.

The only way around this is to NOT carry any money with you and then CAN'T offer a bribe if you can't complete the transaction................................................... Does that make sense ?

Not really. The cop just say you offered a bribe to be paid later....like meet up somewhere tomorrow for payment.

This place and it leadership family is getting more and more like the Family Guy everyday. It would be comical if it wasn't for the fact that Thailand is fast becoming if not already the laughing stock of the civilised world.

Are you sure it is not you they are laughing at.

I know I am.

Any one as negative towards Thailand and choosing to live here and complain about it is some one for me to laugh at.

Anyone know what the fine is for offering a bribe?

If the penalties are low, there could be money to be made here - do a deal to split the bonus after the fine is deducted... Line up your mates and party on.

Are repeat offenders (offering a bribe) imprisoned, or just fined again?

Anyone know what the fine is for offering a bribe?

If the penalties are low, there could be money to be made here - do a deal to split the bonus after the fine is deducted... Line up your mates and party on.

Are repeat offenders (offering a bribe) imprisoned, or just fined again?

You would probably have to wait until you get out of prison before you could have the party.

Expect many arrests. Not as bad as usa where they take your money and accuse you of a crime then you have to sue to get it back. They use it for discretionary purchases like margarita machines.

I'm sure I have made this comment before but it has disappeared so I say it again, only thing that is going to change now is been a policeman is gonna be even more lucrative, as they will accept a bribe a few times then arrest someone this will be rinsed and repeated we have no way of knowing which police will do this as they wont be in the same place every day.its win win for the BIB.

Here is a hint, follow the road rules. Twenty odd years of driving here, two tickets, both times my fault. Bribes? Nada.

Try on? A couple. At which point you ask for a ticket and the imagined offence goes away. Getting a copper to or anyone in the Thai civil service to sign an official piece of paper which could be wrong is like getting a vampire to like daylight. They hate it.

I'm sure people will be along shortly to call me an apologist.

Edited by samran