Thai work permit, visa proposals get positive response

webfact

That's nice.....How about a work visa for a foreigner married with a Thai?

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Amen to that!!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems a fairly light business objective for change "to provide more support for investors, alongside the improvement of various business and foreign visas.", I suspect they would have better success if they thought through exactly what problem they are trying to address and what objective they are aiming to achieve through change.

The teachers 2 year visa seems fair enough and is aligned with countries development goals. They should state those specific goals alongside this change. I hope this would include freelance teachers with variable often low incomes.

The online initiative has been toyed with for a while with some elements of visa's able to complete online with just a quick check at the immigration office, I also believe you can currently do your 90 days by post, but online would be better.

The trade fair element makes sense but is focused on existing business's expanding, the previous view quite frankly seems a little absurd.

I have to though have to agree with a few other comments that it does not seem to address the smaller business's, the sole traders, those who are lucky to break even for the first year when getting their business up and running but need to pay themselves and pay tax on their own money that they are paying themselves with to meet work permit requirements and for those tied through family dependencies to Thailand but restricted in many ways from supporting their families.

There really must be some fairly easy win win situations in that last section, even if the objective is to make it easy for people in that group to earn and pay tax.

The family support general work permit is something that is/should be aligned with Thailand's culture views for a better Thailand, as it stands even permanent residency does not come with a general work permit which is fairly absurd. I understand the argument that a good business case will get you a work permit but as it stands there are still a significant amount of jobs out there that rule out people on the basis that they often carry a caveat 'must have legal right to work in Thailand without company having to seek work permit" and also minimum investment/pay restrictions that can act as blockers/restrictions to parents providing for their Thai families.

Would be nice if i also was allowed to work without a hassle in Thailand ..

You can, the Thai WP is hardly a difficult system to work in, there is not a lot of hassle in it, compared to some of the places I have worked in....how do you fancy an political interview to get a WP/visa ? been there seen that

The problem is I suspect the vast majority of people posting have never worked in countries other than their own and have no idea how easy Thailand is compared to some places.

whistling.gif The one they should seriously consider is to allow for a foreigner to get a self employed work permit and visa as long as:

• His or her income is earned only on-line and outside of Thailand.
  • That the person with such a visa and work permit must report the portion of their income they earn on-line and bring into Thailand to use as their living expenses while living in Thailand.
  • That that portion of their income which they bring into Thailand as income is taxable for Thai taxes at the same rate as it would be if earned locally in Thailand.
  • That the person residing in Thailand, and earning their living as a "self employed work permit on-line worker" would get a visa to reside in Thailand for at least a year ..... and such a visa may be renewed annually by showing evidence of filing the paperwork to pay the required Thai taxes annually.

That would enable a person who earns a high salary on line (such as software developers, journalists, writers, film producers and artists) to live and work from their computers on-line in Thailand legally.

As I tried to point out before, this will be a benefit to those people to live and work in Thailand productively, while enjoying the benefits in living in Thailand (lower costs, warmer climate, etc.)

At the same time Thailand would get the benefit of such on-line workers in the tax revenue their earnings from jobs outside of Thailand would bring to Thailand,

Such a visa would be a win-win situation ..... a win for Thailand in the increased tax revenue it would generate, and a win for the foreigners who would have the benefits of the lifestyle in Thailand.

But, I'm afraid that will never happen .... to much of a change to ever be made.

whistling.gif

I fully support the idea of a self-employed person visa, but there is good reason they will never allow this - how would you administer such a system? Do you rely on the information given to you by the tax payer, who is adept at international finance, who most likely has bank accounts in any third country in the world (I have a Hong Kong USD account), who would honestly report his total income and cough up - 25%? They are not born yesterday biggrin.png

However, I did say I support the notion of a visa but - it should only entitle you to be employed in Thai registered companies, perhaps only BOI companies. Not tie you to one employer, desk and four 'staff', but allow you to compete in the job market without the WP regulations stymieing you. Introduce anti discrimination laws to prevent race, age, sex, language requirements being used as barriers.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Go back and re read.. No mention of Immigration, Ministry of Interior or police orders. Just a news media dream story.whistling.gif

Spoil Sportangry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif

You are rite. I was just getting my hopes up that I on my retirement visa could do a 90 day on line.

On the other hand this new government may be more responsive to out side suggestions.wai.gif

Still no clarification or help for online workers who bring in foreign income every month - madness.

It's interesting to see these guys moving on to other countries and many of the blogs that were so pro living in Thailand now slagging it off with a passion. These guys were and are massive brand ambassadors for Amazing Thailand - it's beyond belief that they still haven't been given a legal option to stay here.

could we suggest that there is no clarification or help simply because the authorities believe they are not important and this sector of people overstate their own importance in Thailand ?

• Like 1

whistling.gif The one they should seriously consider is to allow for a foreigner to get a self employed work permit and visa as long as:

• His or her income is earned only on-line and outside of Thailand.
  • That the person with such a visa and work permit must report the portion of their income they earn on-line and bring into Thailand to use as their living expenses while living in Thailand.
  • That that portion of their income which they bring into Thailand as income is taxable for Thai taxes at the same rate as it would be if earned locally in Thailand.
  • That the person residing in Thailand, and earning their living as a "self employed work permit on-line worker" would get a visa to reside in Thailand for at least a year ..... and such a visa may be renewed annually by showing evidence of filing the paperwork to pay the required Thai taxes annually.
That would enable a person who earns a high salary on line (such as software developers, journalists, writers, film producers and artists) to live and work from their computers on-line in Thailand legally.

As I tried to point out before, this will be a benefit to those people to live and work in Thailand productively, while enjoying the benefits in living in Thailand (lower costs, warmer climate, etc.)

At the same time Thailand would get the benefit of such on-line workers in the tax revenue their earnings from jobs outside of Thailand would bring to Thailand,

Such a visa would be a win-win situation ..... a win for Thailand in the increased tax revenue it would generate, and a win for the foreigners who would have the benefits of the lifestyle in Thailand.

But, I'm afraid that will never happen .... to much of a change to ever be made.

whistling.gif

I fully support the idea of a self-employed person visa, but there is good reason they will never allow this - how would you administer such a system? Do you rely on the information given to you by the tax payer, who is adept at international finance, who most likely has bank accounts in any third country in the world (I have a Hong Kong USD account), who would honestly report his total income and cough up - 25%? They are not born yesterday biggrin.png

However, I did say I support the notion of a visa but - it should only entitle you to be employed in Thai registered companies, perhaps only BOI companies. Not tie you to one employer, desk and four 'staff', but allow you to compete in the job market without the WP regulations stymieing you. Introduce anti discrimination laws to prevent race, age, sex, language requirements being used as barriers.

He should have to declare a minimum. Every bloody mom and pop shop does exactly the same in Thailand. You think these millionaire noodle stand owners tell the tax.man what they earn?

The government of Thailand was foreclosed on the 25.12.2012. No visa rules applies anymore. see UCC filings. Its still just a scheeme to suck money out of people and be oppressive, but its no longer backed up by law. its systematic fraud. And they dont even know it.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/133504271/The-FORECLOSURE-FLYER

http://peoplestrustmalaysia.wordpress.com/ucc/

Good. Now remove the real culprit, the 4:1 Thai:Foreigner ratio for the first foreigner to enable the nomads.

Not really, as the same group don't want to even form a Thai company or even pay income tax in most cases, so removing 4:1 ratio does nothing anyway.

If you read the boards on here, most believe their VAT contribution on their mamma noodles should be enough as regards "income tax"

• Like 1

The government of Thailand was foreclosed on the 25.12.2012. No visa rules applies anymore. see UCC filings. Its still just a scheeme to suck money out of people and be oppressive, but its no longer backed up by law. its systematic fraud. And they dont even know it.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/133504271/The-FORECLOSURE-FLYER

http://peoplestrustmalaysia.wordpress.com/ucc/

May I humbly suggest you burn your bra outside the parliament building and demand your rights...thumbsup.gif

I would like to be able to get a WP to work for the Traffic Police. I only need to work 3 days per month (and catch two of these despicable people offering bribes, per day) to exceed your income requirements? I promise to do a bang-up job! I will buy my own Toyonda and BB gun. Please!

Well I'm with Robby the kiwi on this one, I report at Chantaburi (Pong Nam Ron) and

about 90 seconds is my quickest, no paperwork. Last time I went there for a re-entry permit however they were all waiting out the front for a big-wig, that took longer than the 15 minutes

they have put on their flow chart on the wall

That's good. Now if immigration would would just drop the need for 90 day reporting all together...form required or not...whether doing it in person or via mail...just no 90 day reporting required.

Why not yearly instead and/or when a person changes address. I know it's supposedly "the law" requiring the reporting every 90 days but it seems laws can be changed (or ignored or selectively enforced) so easily in Thailand. It's kinda like the proposed changes to blacklisting if you overstay your visa/extension of stay...that's apparently going to be an immigration "regulation" change vs a law change if and when approved which hasn't occurred yet.

I expect if immigration would submit for a change to the 90 day law to something longer, it would be approved. Hopefully immigration will submit such a change in the near future...one can hope...but I'm not going to hold my breath in anticipation of it occurring.

The 90 day reporting is old regulation dating back to one of the military dictatorships from the 70s. Immigration chose to ignore it for years. It was only brought back within the last 10 years or so. Immigration have never come up with a credible explanation for why they brought it back. It clearly serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Nothing in the new regulations about treating a farang husband FAIRLY with family-friendly regulations. coffee1.gif

No. The idea was supposed to be about foreign investors, although teachers seem to have slipped in somehow but good luck to them in ever getting 2-years visas and WPs.

They have already provided benefits for those married to Thais which they feel are more than enough and may consider rescinding in future. These are:

- Extensions based on marriage to a Thai national.

- The right for a company to get a WP for a foreigner with Thai spouse with only B1 million in paid-up capital instead of B2 million.

- The right for the Thai spouse of a foreign to buy land without investigation into the source of funds by signing the 'declaration'.

- The right to apply for Thai citizenship without obtaining PR first, subject to meeting other conditions, including for a male, employment in Thailand.

Do you want to be the boy who asked for more like Oliver Twist?

• Like 1

Well I'm with Robby the kiwi on this one, I report at Chantaburi (Pong Nam Ron) and

about 90 seconds is my quickest, no paperwork. Last time I went there for a re-entry permit however they were all waiting out the front for a big-wig, that took longer than the 15 minutes

they have put on their flow chart on the wall

That's good. Now if immigration would would just drop the need for 90 day reporting all together...form required or not...whether doing it in person or via mail...just no 90 day reporting required.

Why not yearly instead and/or when a person changes address. I know it's supposedly "the law" requiring the reporting every 90 days but it seems laws can be changed (or ignored or selectively enforced) so easily in Thailand. It's kinda like the proposed changes to blacklisting if you overstay your visa/extension of stay...that's apparently going to be an immigration "regulation" change vs a law change if and when approved which hasn't occurred yet.

I expect if immigration would submit for a change to the 90 day law to something longer, it would be approved. Hopefully immigration will submit such a change in the near future...one can hope...but I'm not going to hold my breath in anticipation of it occurring.

The 90 day reporting is old regulation dating back to one of the military dictatorships from the 70s. Immigration chose to ignore it for years. It was only brought back within the last 10 years or so. Immigration have never come up with a credible explanation for why they brought it back. It clearly serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

From my impression the only purpose is to force you to renew your extension if you change province.

Even though the extension is supposedly approved by Bangkok.

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Dont understand your problem. You can work in Thailand, get a job and the employer will provide the work permit if they are a good company. If the company dont want to provide a work permit find another company to work for.

And for the self employed? Can I legally help my husband with his small business? or volunteer for a local charity? or as a contemporary dancer - perform professionally when the opportunities arise? All things I'm presently afraid to do under the current immigration laws. unsure.png It's also worth pointing out that not everyone "gets a job" and works for "good companies" The thought sounds terrifying to most entrepreneurial types whose numbers are growing.

Edited by jaiyen17
  • Like 1

I must notice that all visa change etc. foreigner rules what may happen and change to better or good is just temporary and soon all changes again back to misery cause they love give some kind punishment foreigners from time to time and visa rules is good to this matter.

There were many meetings and much noise about removing street sellers.

The result is now have double as many, in Sukhumvit and they take up even more space .

Why do I bring it up? Because seems lots of talk and proposals but nothing has changed

talk the one thing,

do the other,

how you call this in Thai ??

Dont understand your problem. You can work in Thailand, get a job and the employer will provide the work permit if they are a good company. If the company dont want to provide a work permit find another company to work for.

The problem is the "can" "if" and "if" in your post. My wife got her citizenship after three years, could work from day one ANYWHERE she wants and whenever she wants, without being a slave to someone, and is treated same as me. FULL STOP. She has total freedom to live her life. No visa renewals, no reporting nothing. Vastly different than the way we are treated here.

claim all the foreign GVT's -

why they not call for same treathment ?

Than Thai for sure would also change;

If there is no request, why they should ??

Maybe just a little off topic but around a year ago (maybe less) ThaiVisa collected a bunch of "wants, desires, recommendations, etc.," from ThaiVisa members regarding immigration polices like visas, extensions, 90 day reporting, etc., as ThaiVisa representatives were then going to meet with the new immigration commander to submit those cake-and-ice cream wishes. What ever become of that....I think the meeting occurred...but did we get any feedback? Maybe there was...just point me to the thread. Thanks.

George went to this meeting,

we never heared again from him,

hopefully he had the correct visa in his passport , and no overstay ??

also be exempted from having to get a work permit, but they will still need one if they want to open a booth or trade at a fair.

I am sure the MICE guys love this. Who knew about this rule?

Immigration police could round up hundreds at one show.

Yes it is ridiculous. If you are employed by a company outside Thailand, and you are paid by a company outside Thailand, and you are representing a company from outside Thailand at a trade fair, then it would be ridiculous to expect a work permit....

Other countries - HK, Japan, Korea do not even require B Visa for such business events. Thailand and China obviously do...

Good. Now remove the real culprit, the 4:1 Thai:Foreigner ratio for the first foreigner to enable the nomads.

Not really, as the same group don't want to even form a Thai company or even pay income tax in most cases, so removing 4:1 ratio does nothing anyway.

If you read the boards on here, most believe their VAT contribution on their mamma noodles should be enough as regards "income tax"

That's one group, yes. I for one would incorporate and get a WP in order to fulfill the PR/Citizenship employment requirements. Another group. Some would actually work as a one man shop, a third group. There's a real need for this.

Also, just having a viable option would at least get some of the "under the radars" with the program. Better than nothing. Note that I mentioned "first foreigner". For the second WP, by all means require 4 Thais per WP.