Taking a Thai GF to America- your suggestions please!

I am a UK citizen living and working in Thailand for past 5 years, with same girlfriend. We have house, car and she has 2 children. We want to go on USA holiday next year. How and which Visa should we apply for anyone. Cheers

As I already indicated it is very tough! You got so much going against you 1st you are a Brit... second you said We! but not married! and I assume you purchased the WE with your funds and if you are basically her sole supported it might be strike three for you?

I've had a couple Thai friends come to visit the US and one friend was denied a visa.

This is a process that must be taken very seriously. Do your homework. There are tons of resources on the web of what to do and what to say. As somebody else said, have a detailed itinerary, have bank statements so she can show she has the money, you can write a sponsor letter, etc. Don't rely solely on replies to this thread on what to do. Do some research.

Also, the general vibe I got while researching, was that you shouldn't mention your boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

I just returned from a well known Visa service here in Pattaya run by Brit. His reply was unless she owns land in Thailand and works for a well known company the chances of her obtaining a travel visa are zero. However, I have found that experts are often wrong and it sounds like getting a travel visa is a bit of a crap shoot. I will proceed with this quest and keep you informed. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. It's been a great help.

I have gone through the process a number of years ago and it took me 3 times and finally with some help. As you can see the opinions all varies but people chiming in Bullshit and stuff is misleading at least to me! Each case is very different and from your post reading each sentence there are plus and minus whether a visa can be obtained but none of the comments I would consider B.S.

The workers all have been given a specific guideline to go by and are noted in the comments I suggest you take your time and get all your ducks in order with proof. There are often request like your's but seldom do we ever get the final results? I for one would like and appreciate if you can post again as to the result of your request this would be hopeful to others in the future? As noted you do not want to get a refusal stamp it is basically a black mark and as noted to me recently ONLY THE VISA APPLICANT IS NOW ALLOW IN THE INTERVIEW?

Good luck

Edited by thailand49

^^Honesty is the best policy. Hiding an agenda or relationship is sure to get you trouble, and or tripped up on questioning. Open and honest from start to finish is the best method.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

I just returned from a well known Visa service here in Pattaya run by Brit. His reply was unless she owns land in Thailand and works for a well known company the chances of her obtaining a travel visa are zero. However, I have found that experts are often wrong and it sounds like getting a travel visa is a bit of a crap shoot. I will proceed with this quest and keep you informed. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. It's been a great help.

I have gone through the process a number of years ago and it took me 3 times and finally with some help. As you can see the opinions all varies but people chiming in Bullshit and stuff is misleading at least to me! Each case is very different and from your post reading each sentence there are plus and minus whether a visa can be obtained but none of the comments I would consider B.S.

The workers all have been given a specific guideline to go by and are noted in the comments I suggest you take your time and get all your ducks in order with proof. There are often request like your's but seldom do we ever get the final results? I for one would like and appreciate if you can post again as to the result of your request this would be hopeful to others in the future? As noted you do not want to get a refusal stamp it is basically a black mark and as noted to me recently ONLY THE VISA APPLICANT IS NOW ALLOW IN THE INTERVIEW?

Good luck

I have decided to get some professional help prior to starting the process as I am concerned that saying the wrong thing or not having the proper documentation could cause the travel visa to be denied. Misunderstandings, wrong answers and blank stares will not sit well with interviewers. There is an American owned agency in BKK that specializes in US visas and we are going to sit down with him and discuss the battle plan. As with most interviews, a short amount of time to get your point across and she needs to be prepared prior to walking in. I hope there will be some coaching and a mock interview to give her an idea what to expect.

There have been some conflicting information here as to how much I should be involved and I want that clarified. After the meeting with the Visa Service I will report back and hopefully be able to shed new light on the process.

I know a Thai woman who is a permanent resident of Japan. Uni degree, job, properties, the whole deal. Japanese husband wanted to take her to Hawaii. The embassy in Tokyo denied her two years in a row, but the third time she got the visa. At the airport in HNL she told me she was taken to a room without her husband and lectured for a while not to "run away".

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck

I have decided to get some professional help prior to starting the process as I am concerned that saying the wrong thing or not having the proper documentation could cause the travel visa to be denied. Misunderstandings, wrong answers and blank stares will not sit well with interviewers. There is an American owned agency in BKK that specializes in US visas and we are going to sit down with him and discuss the battle plan. As with most interviews, a short amount of time to get your point across and she needs to be prepared prior to walking in. I hope there will be some coaching and a mock interview to give her an idea what to expect.

There have been some conflicting information here as to how much I should be involved and I want that clarified. After the meeting with the Visa Service I will report back and hopefully be able to shed new light on the process.

Can you tell me the name of the American owned agency you are using?

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the members think of what happened today at the g/f's interview at the C.M. U.S. Consulate. I know it's hard to read the tea leaves but what do you think?

First, a little background: We have known each other about 8 years, lived together 7, have a 5 year old child (dual citizen). Not married. I'm mid 50's, she's mid 30's.

She prepared carefully for the interview, took her chanotes for her properties, our child's U.S. passport, I gave her my passport and flagged my 6 retirement extensions, a letter I wrote, our child's school papers, tambien baans, vehicle books, etc. When she arrived, she was finger-printed.

She told me later that the interviewer was a Thai speaking farang - 35 or thereabouts. He spoke excellent Thai. He asked her only about 5 questions:

1. What is the purpose of traveling to the U.S.A?

2. Length of stay?

3. How did she meet me and how long ago?

4. What kind of visa do I have?

5. What is my occupation?

He then asked to see our son's U.S. passport. The g/f said he studied the photo page for no more than 10 seconds, told her the child was lovely and handed it back.

At that point he told her in Thai language "have fun on your trip". That was it.

Seems very odd to me. No? Only about 5 minute interview. The 20ish girl after her told her she had been denied 2 times already and had over 2 million Baht in the bank. The woman before her was obviously an Isaan hooker about 15 years (and 15 kg.) ago and they told her that her application was denied. They didn't say yes or no in our case - only "have fun on your trip".

What happened? Never asked to see any documents and 5 brief questions?

Edited by elektrified

^^ Your ties to Thailand, your passport, and she was well prepared.

So, yes...just to follow up... Less than 48 hours after her interview, a courier came to our house with an envelope. Inside was the passport and a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 visa. We were very surprised. I had read so many stories over the years about how difficult this procedure was and in the end it took all of about 5-10 minutes for the interview and the visa was issued. No documents were asked for whatsoever.

Yes I did give my passport but it was never asked for.

• Like 1

I know a Thai woman who is a permanent resident of Japan. Uni degree, job, properties, the whole deal. Japanese husband wanted to take her to Hawaii. The embassy in Tokyo denied her two years in a row, but the third time she got the visa. At the airport in HNL she told me she was taken to a room without her husband and lectured for a while not to "run away".

Another story I heard involves a colleagues mother. A upscale Madame in her sixties, likely wearing a Chanel suit, traveling with retired Air France captain husband.

Problem is she was a blackfoot, place of birth in French passport "Algerie". This alone was reason to be held for hours at Newark airport for investigation.

Edited by arunsakda