US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital

webfact

It really won't do much good for just the U.S. to adopt such restrictions alone. If Ebola infiltrates and overwhelms the rest of Africa as it has West Africa, it will spread to Europe and the ME as well. After that, just a matter of time until it overcomes Asia, and eventually Central & South America. Once there, it storms across the border into the U.S.; both those running from it, and those with it hoping for medical salvation in the U.S.

It's amazing that people would think that Ebola will come storming across the border into the US.

Ebola is ALREADY in the US, it's not in the other countries of central and north America, not yet anyway.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really won't do much good for just the U.S. to adopt such restrictions alone. If Ebola infiltrates and overwhelms the rest of Africa as it has West Africa, it will spread to Europe and the ME as well. After that, just a matter of time until it overcomes Asia, and eventually Central & South America. Once there, it storms across the border into the U.S.; both those running from it, and those with it hoping for medical salvation in the U.S.

It's amazing that people would think that Ebola will come storming across the border into the US.

Ebola is ALREADY in the US, it's not in the other countries of central and north America, not yet anyway.

Yes it is already in the US, but the porous southern border has many illegal immigrants crossing it into the US knowing they are not being deported. I am not as worried about it right now being the source of naturally occurring ebola, but since more than just Mexicans and S. Americans are coming across the border... I think it wise to question the logic of allowing the influx of illegals across the border. If I were a dedicated terrorist organization, I would see this as a soft target that could easily be used to create panic etc. All it takes is a small group of people to purposely infect themselves and crossing the border and doing a cross country tour trying to infect as many people as possible. If you cause enough random infections doing that you will cause death and a sizeable economic panic which would be more than what was done on 911.

• Like 1

Yes it is already in the US, but the porous southern border has many illegal immigrants crossing it into the US knowing they are not being deported. I am not as worried about it right now being the source of naturally occurring ebola, but since more than just Mexicans and S. Americans are coming across the border... I think it wise to question the logic of allowing the influx of illegals across the border. If I were a dedicated terrorist organization, I would see this as a soft target that could easily be used to create panic etc. All it takes is a small group of people to purposely infect themselves and crossing the border and doing a cross country tour trying to infect as many people as possible. If you cause enough random infections doing that you will cause death and a sizeable economic panic which would be more than what was done on 911.

If a terrorist wanted to get Ebola into the US do you really think they would fly to somewhere in Central America or Mexico and then begin an epic overland journey towards the leaky Mexican/US border or just hop on an international flight from anywhere in the world and fly straight into one of the major US cities ?

If a terrorist wanted to get Ebola into the US do you really think they would fly to somewhere in Central America or Mexico and then begin an epic overland journey towards the leaky Mexican/US border or just hop on an international flight from anywhere in the world and fly straight into one of the major US cities ?

Could happen either way, but if they hop a plane and enter the US they at least can eliminate anyone that they already know is a threat. Having a wide open border with no security checks, and no medical checks is asking for problems. It is also semi-legitimizing indentured (lower than minimum wage) labour since illegal immigrants are not going to have the protection of the law. If you want cheap labour from south of the border, just legitimize it by adding a NAFTA guest worker program that lets in all the unskilled labour that US business wants. At least then you can track who is entering your country.

If you allow a flood of people to enter illegally, it also allows criminal organizations to use that as a door to get in without scrutiny. It is akin to trying to find a needle in a haystack. What the president is really trying to do is alter the voting landscape by allowing as many illegals in as he wants, then fast tracking them to citizenship -- hoping they would be more likely to be Democratic Party supporters.

About 150 people from the affected West African countries have been entering the U.S., mostly via the EU (there are no direct flights), everyday. Or so it's being reported. 150!! Everyday!!! Even HAD they been screened as they are now, what are the chances that among those thousands who've been allowed to enter the U.S. to date since the outbreak in West Africa, not even one is infected? There could be somebody puking his guts out in an inner-city apartment complex somewhere right now having already affected dozens of others in contact with him, and I'm not that confident we'd necessarily yet know about it. It's going to be a miracle if an someone who entered the country weeks ago but now very sick, having already infected who knows how many others, doesn't stumble into an emergency room, today, tomorrow, the next day... It's almost gotta' happen.

And now let's talk about the screenings going on now. The OTHER thing that's happening EVERYDAY, is growth of the infected population in West Africa. IOW, the likelihood that someone infected but not yet showing symptoms, gets on a plane to the U.S., also grows everyday. If you were West African, and KNEW you'd been exposed but not yet showing any symptoms, and could scrape together enough money to travel, where would you be wanting to take your chances on the quality of medical care - there in West Africa, or in the U.S.? It seems obvious that as the infected population grows and gets worse, the population will get more desperate to escape it. And the likelihood of them showing up in the EU or the U.S., WITHOUT SYMPTOMS, and therefore undetected as being infected, also grows.

The imposition of a complete travel ban on West Africa (NO travel in or out except for healthcare workers and military), let alone an inbound ban on West Africans to the U.S. is an absolute no-brainer, unless some means of accurately detecting all infected persons can be found. Other African nations have already done this (by air AS WELL AS by land & sea!!) - which effectively funnels this traffic to the EU. If an outbreak in the U.S. occurs, the masses will be shaking their heads in sheer disbelief, and scapegoats vigorously pursued to answer for the fact, that these bans weren't imposed to begin with.

And what single person could implement a ban on these persons entering the U.S. with a stroke of a pen? You almost gotta' wonder if for some political reason he doesn't actually WANT an Ebola outbreak in the U.S.! (Hint: It's that person the situation "has nothing to do with"....)

Edited by hawker9000

The imposition of a complete travel ban on West Africa (NO travel in or out except for healthcare workers and military), let alone an inbound ban on West Africans to the U.S. is an absolute no-brainer, unless some means of accurately detecting all infected persons can be found. Other African nations have already done this (by air AS WELL AS by land & sea!!) - which effectively funnels this traffic to the EU. If an outbreak in the U.S. occurs, the masses will be shaking their heads in sheer disbelief, and scapegoats vigorously pursued to answer for the fact, that these bans weren't imposed to begin with.

And what single person could implement a ban on these persons entering the U.S. with a stroke of a pen? You almost gotta' wonder if for some political reason he doesn't actually WANT an Ebola outbreak in the U.S.! (Hint: It's that person the situation "has nothing to do with"....)

It's not as simple as you make out. How many US citizens are in African countries right now who might need to travel home ?

There's going to be many thousands of Americans working in Africa directly related to US government meddling, never mind the rest who are there of their own accord.

Only a tiny amount of people in these countries are affected by this at the moment.

Edited by ukrules

It's not as simple as you make out. How many US citizens are in African countries right now who might need to travel home ?

There's going to be many thousands of Americans working in Africa directly related to US government meddling, never mind the rest who are there of their own accord.

Only a tiny amount of people in these countries are affected by this at the moment.

But more simple than YOU make out. "African" countries maybe but that's not what I said did I? The West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea I wouldn't think that many, and these persons would still be able to access the major air hubs in South Africa and Kenya to fly out. They'd just have to get to those hubs by other means if they failed to exit before a ban went into effect. Charter flights would also still be allowed. And I specifically mentioned an exception for healthcare workers and military, which you seem to ignore (although it's right there in your partial quote, Line 1). Those others who still feel that they need to travel to the affected countries could still do so; they'd have to fly-in to the continent elsewhere, and travel by other means to the affected countries.

Greater expense and inconvenience for the general public not involved in the disease control effort, not to mention economic damage to these affected countries, I fully realize. But we're talking about Ebola here. It's a necessity and an obvious one.

What's Nigeria doing that successfully preventing Ebola getting a foothold?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're covering it up.

Well that crossed my mind too, but it would be pretty difficult if there was an outbreak in a densely populated area like Lagos with the sort of infection rates seen in Sierra Leone.

I think one of the incredible stories of this outbreak is that Ebola hasn't established a foothold in Nigeria, against all odds really, so they must be doing something right.

My interpretation after reading this article is that aerosolized secretions (not Airborne) from an Ebola infected person when expelled by coughing or sneezing (for any reason) can distribute Ebola virus laded heavy droplets onto another person and be infectious depending on where it lands. Which is what I have been saying in many posts on this subject prior to finding this link.

Some of the Army's recommendations for protective clothing and proper facilities seems to differ from those of the CDC.

Over 100,000 copies of this handbook have been distributed to military and civilian health-care providers around the world. Too bad Presbyterian Hospital did not have / and or use this handbook in the treatment of Mr. Duncan.

Note: The article uses the title 'Airborne' which is not technically correct. Aerosolized would have been a better term.

Handbook (2011 - Seventh Edition) - of the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, titled “USAMRID’s Medical Management of Biological Casualties Handbook,”.

On page 117 of the handbook, in a chapter discussing “Viral Hemorrhagic Fever” (VHF), a category of viruses that includes Ebola, USAMRID says: “In several instances, secondary infections among contacts and medical personnel without direct body fluid exposure have been documented. These instances have prompted concern of a rare phenomenon of aerosol transmission of infection.”

http://www.wnd.com/2014/10/u-s-army-warns-of-potential-airborne-ebola/#SF9vgKfiufCj4kSf.99

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

Some of the Army's recommendations for protective clothing and proper facilities seems to differ from those of the CDC.

The changes on tuesday to the guidelines brought their standards CLOSER to that of "Doctors without Borders".... Two things hit me about that revelation. 1. Doctors without Borders have been on the front lines for decades in regards to ebola..... Why the <bleep> was the CDCs standards so lax in compared to Doctors without Borders? 2. Why have they not at least brought their standards up to or above those of Doctors without Borders, the US does have access to more resources?

Ever experienced projectile vomit or explosive diarrhea? I have. Easy for me to understand "aerosolized" vs "airborne", and for me, it sheds a little light on the situation. It sort of explains why even a mostly suited & gloved caregiver gets it, but even a family member does not, esp. if not in contact (maybe 'proximity' is a better word) during the final, most acute, most violent stages of the disease.

'Makes care facilities where these end-stage patients are housed sound like very dangerous places to be... Interesting to hear that EPA regulations keep hospitals from incinerating the bio-waste, and must instead container it and ship it off somewhere...

So only NOW are the heathcare workers who came in contact with Thomas Duncan being told to stay home. Sheesh.

Nina Pham (the 1st Dallas healthcare worker Duncan infected) being transferred to MD. I wonder if this has anything to do with the human trials going on with that Canadian vaccine or is instead because they've lost faith in the ability of hospitals like Texas Presbyterian to deal with Ebola... 'Wonder how many beds are availble in those few national health centers that CAN handle it. Don't be patient n+1.

Oh, and Mr. "nothing-to-do-with-the-situation" Obama currently on the tele... Not saying anything useful: vague reference to appointment of an Ebola "tsar" though - draw your own conclusions. His usual recalcitrant, self-interested self, trying (weakly) to explain why a travel ban will be counterproductive (very convoluted; something about "patients lie" and "getting more data" by letting them fly...). I reckon it'll take another infection or two in the U.S. to wake him up.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

Ever experienced projectile vomit or explosive diarrhea? I have. Easy for me to understand "aerosolized" vs "airborne", and for me, it sheds a little light on the situation. It sort of explains why even a mostly suited & gloved caregiver gets it, but even a family member does not, esp. if not in contact (maybe 'proximity' is a better word) during the final, most acute, most violent stages of the disease.

'Makes care facilities where these end-stage patients are housed sound like very dangerous places to be... Interesting to hear that EPA regulations keep hospitals from incinerating the bio-waste, and must instead container it and ship it off somewhere...

So only NOW are the heathcare workers who came in contact with Thomas Duncan being told to stay home. Sheesh.

Nina Pham (the 1st Dallas healthcare worker Duncan infected) being transferred to MD. I wonder if this has anything to do with the human trials going on with that Canadian vaccine or is instead because they've lost faith in the ability of hospitals like Texas Presbyterian to deal with Ebola... 'Wonder how many beds are availble in those few national health centers that CAN handle it. Don't be patient n+1.

Oh, and Mr. "nothing-to-do-with-the-situation" Obama currently on the tele... Not saying anything useful: vague reference to appointment of an Ebola "tsar" though - draw your own conclusions. His usual recalcitrant, self-interested self, trying (weakly) to explain why a travel ban will be counterproductive (very convoluted; something about "patients lie" and "getting more data" by letting them fly...). I reckon it'll take another infection or two in the U.S. to wake him up.

As I have noted before ... I spent 35 years and more in the Dallas-Fort Worth area -- the early years in the health and public health arena... And everyone in the area knows if you have something awful happen to you - you go to Parkland Hospital ..(of the JFK era)... because if you want to live you go there -- it you want top state of the art treatment for trauma or unusual things you go to Parkland... Stage IV trauma center, teaching hospital for the medical school next door, top Residents and Interns ... they would not have botched the first visit by Duncan - because these sharp Residents and Interns most likely knew a lot about Ebola and the geography or the disease ...

Presbyterian is noted for the Gamma Knife for cancer and other high priced procedures for the more wealthy set...

What an awful mistake ...

• Like 1

What's Nigeria doing that successfully preventing Ebola getting a foothold?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're covering it up.

I wouldn't put it past them to let it run rampant in the Boko Haram-held areas.

Saves a lot of bullets.

Think of the irony of any of those chumps seeking life-saving treatment?

Edited by Chicog

This order basically opened the doors for people from the Ebola ridden countries in West Africa to be granted Visas to enter the USA in large numbers...

DHS Started Expediting Visa Extensions From Ebola Countries in August

The relief measures, announced on the USCIS website as "Ebola Outbreak-related Immigration Relief Measures to Nationals of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone Currently in the United States," on August 15, 2014, include the following:

Full article at the link below ...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/17/DHS-Started-Expediting-Visa-Extensions-From-Ebola-Countries-in-August

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

This order basically opened the doors for people from the Ebola ridden countries in West Africa to be granted Visas to enter the USA in large numbers...

The relief measures, announced on the USCIS website as "Ebola Outbreak-related Immigration Relief Measures to Nationals of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone Currently in the United States," on August 15, 2014, include the following:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/17/DHS-Started-Expediting-Visa-Extensions-From-Ebola-Countries-in-August

. . . currently in the United States.

So those already there don't have to return within the original visa time.

• Like 1

Yes, a visa extension is an extension to the visa that you are currently using.... so you are currently in the United States on a visa already. Quite reasonable, it is generally frowned upon by international law to send people back to their death :P

• Like 1

Yes, a visa extension is an extension to the visa that you are currently using.... so you are currently in the United States on a visa already. Quite reasonable, it is generally frowned upon by international law to send people back to their death tongue.png

It also says a lot about the gravity of the situation, infection rate.

I have a feeling you read the headline and posted without bothering to read the article itself.

Ebola Outbreak-related Immigration Relief Measures to Nationals of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone Currently in the United States
Release Date: August 15, 2014

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is closely monitoring the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. USCIS offers relief measures to nationals of those three countries who are currently in the United States.

Immigration relief measures that may be available if requested include:

• Change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even if the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;
  • Extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS;
  • Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
  • Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives (currently in the United States) of U.S. citizens;
  • Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate; and
  • Consideration for waiver of fees associated with USCIS benefit applications.
Edited by Chicog

Medical Research Org CIDRAP: Ebola Transmittable by Air

The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that “there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles,” including exhaled breath.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/14/CIDRAP-Confirms-Ebola-Transmittable-by-Air

CIDRAP responds to the falsely attributed statements:

Nearly one month after publication of the commentary, the websites Brietbart and The Inquisitr News published incorrect information concerning it. In an effort to correct misinformation, we want to state clearly that:

CIDRAP has not made claims that "Ebola is Airbone" or that "Ebola [is] Transmittable by Air."

The guest commentary cited by Brietbart and The Inquisitr News was authored by two leading researchers with the University of Illinois at Chicago (not the University of Minnesota as wrongly reported).

The Twitter account @UnivMinnNews, which tweeted the article published by The Inquisitr News, is not managed or authorized by the University of Minnesota.

Edited by attrayant

But panic still reigns....

Ebola scare at Pentagon after woman vomits in parking lot

Source: Reuters - Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:42 GMT
Author: Reuters
WASHINGTON, Oct 17 (Reuters) - The Pentagon confirmed an Ebola scare on Friday in one of its parking lots when a women who recently traveled to Africa vomited after getting off a bus headed to a high-level Marine Corps ceremony.

http://www.trust.org/item/20141017164216-qozv2/?

Attention: everyone please refrain from playing in the pool of vomit. Thank you.

You'd think they shouldn't need to make such announcements.

But someone might bring their pet monkey along and like a dog he might lick it up and get infected and pass it on.... so yes, warnings are always appreciated.

As I suspected, in the Americas the US is the source of Ebola.

The cruise ship carrying a Texas health-care worker who “may have” handled lab specimens from Dallas Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan is headed back to the United States after Mexican authorities failed to grant permission for the ship to dock off the coast of Cozumel, according to a Carnival spokeswoman.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

Not just the passenger - the whole cruise ship was denied entry - how many hundreds of Americans were denied entry due to the Ebola situation in the US ?

More of this lies ahead.

Edited by ukrules

That's very different to what I read.

Thank you - I stand corrected...

I do however find an interesting counter question... if several months ago the U.S. Government saw fit to extend visas of citizens of the Ebola Stricken West African Nations allowing them to stay in America because the situation back in their home countries is too dangerous due to Ebola to force them to return --- then why at the same time was it not deemed that these countries have such a dangerous Ebola epidemic that continued issuance of visas to other citizens of those countries is very risky - that a person like Mr. Duncan would eventually come to American.

The idea of doing one and not the other is counter intuitive. Too dangerous to send back - but not too dangerous to keep more from coming ... Wow!

This is a prime example of the illogical actions of the U.S. Government that drives Americans crazy... Since when does the American Government decide without consulting the public or even bringing up the subject that special dispensation is given to visitors from the Ebola Epidemic countries to keep them safe but Americans are still kept at risk that Ebola will make it to America - which it did. Here is where it could have been stopped but was not. All that has happened since could have been avoided

And before someone pops up - please note that under the U.S. Constitution the PEOPLE do have a right to be involved in decision making on critical issues - through their elected representatives and directly though public input. We have a Constitutional Republic and the Government is supposed to be accountable to the people - not slide things under the bureaucratic rug.

• Like 1

Medical Research Org CIDRAP: Ebola Transmittable by Air

The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that “there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles,” including exhaled breath.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/14/CIDRAP-Confirms-Ebola-Transmittable-by-Air

CIDRAP responds to the falsely attributed statements:

Nearly one month after publication of the commentary, the websites Brietbart and The Inquisitr News published incorrect information concerning it. In an effort to correct misinformation, we want to state clearly that:

CIDRAP has not made claims that "Ebola is Airbone" or that "Ebola [is] Transmittable by Air."

The guest commentary cited by Brietbart and The Inquisitr News was authored by two leading researchers with the University of Illinois at Chicago (not the University of Minnesota as wrongly reported).

The Twitter account @UnivMinnNews, which tweeted the article published by The Inquisitr News, is not managed or authorized by the University of Minnesota.

Thank you - I was not aware of the CIDRAP response... did you find this when you googled the subject?