So.. the cool & dry season is upon us

WinnieTheKhwai

You gotta feeling did you? Anyone who can read a weather-history chart of Thailand could make such astounding declarations.

Well the original poster wasn't able to do that successfully? giggle.gif Anyway, I brought forward my date for season change to today !w00t.gif its happened

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Sorry, not according to 10-day forecast...30-80% chance of rain everyday.

personally I don't feel the change of season yet, still too much humidity in the air.

But you are right Winnie, the change is quick and concise.

10 day forecast ?? they cant, the majority of times, even get the next 24 hours right.Its usually........ sunny,some cloud, with a chance of rain, sort of covers all possibilities.

30-80 % chance of rain is quite a margin,sounds more like a stab in the dark.

30 degrees max at our place today. I cant accept that any temperature that is over 25 + as cool.

Since the change of season is usually abrupt I can safely correspond the arrival of winter with the termination of the use of my fan and "summer" is when I turn it back on. Too much humidity in the air .....fan still on.

Life is so simple here with such benign elements...no snow shovel in hand,like where I used to live.

Hopefully the cool-season will be much like last year - started like Nov.01 and stretched into Feb. Lovely it was.

• Like 1

Posted 9/10/2014 8:57:48 p.m.
I'm sure you'll regret your call early!
It seems that every year at the beginning of October it does not rain, it cools a bit, and everyone says the rainy season is over. Others, as usual, was not saying it to me.
Then, in the second half of October we have a last breath of rain, as if the rainy season says' there is no dupe "and squeezing the last bit of action on itself.
We had a rather dry rainy season this year, but even if I intend to rain to come along, and maybe it will even be lost in November. The key to a dry-rainy season is unusually wet June 1, we've had this year. But the end often seems to be a dry first half of October and a second half wet. We'll see!
So, keep those umbrellas handy ...
A prescient post. The capricious nature and the current weather in your favor. clap2.gif
And for the medium-term evolution of the Dow Jones what is your opinion? biggrin.png

Since you asked, medium and long-term: get out of it. All going downhill from here! Short-term might still be okay, but not my scene. I'll stick to climate...

Since the change of season is usually abrupt I can safely correspond the arrival of winter with the termination of the use of my fan and "summer" is when I turn it back on. Too much humidity in the air .....fan still on.

Life is so simple here with such benign elements...no snow shovel in hand,like where I used to live.

Hopefully the cool-season will be much like last year - started like Nov.01 and stretched into Feb. Lovely it was.

Those were the days. Driving around with shovel, wellie boots and cold weather gear in the boot, never knowing if you would get home from work or not.

Just when you thought it was the end of the rainy season it has returned.

Leaving Chiang Dao today after 2 days of glorious cool mountain air and sunny skies we have returned to soaking rain.No complaints, saves watering the garden but might put a dampener on Loy Kratong. if it continues.

Weather anywhere these days is totally unpredictable.

It's been forecast for nearly a week now. Been big storms east of Chiang Mai in the mountains for a few days now. Finally come down to the valley. No complaints, loving it biggrin.png

The humidity has been high for a week at least. Just a matter of time before it broke. I'm surprised folk are surprised.

Edited by MESmith

31 degrees centigrade at CNX right now, I think it was 35 yeaterday. Night cooling off nicely as well Looking at the weather charts there is a high near Mandalay and several over China. Not much chance of significant change for the next week or so, I'd reckon.

Some are saying the "Siberian High" is forming late this year. This may be related to Anthropogenic Climate Disruption.

• 2 weeks later...

re

Be great if it stayed like this all year

doi sutheps looking nice and clear this morning :)

dave2

Unfortunatly, on the way back from Mae Joe on Friday, large tracks of rice fields going up in smoke. Tenders visible and stoking the fires? Enforcement - Haha. I have a sneaky suspicion we are in for a brutal and early burning season. The farmers cannot grow a 3 rd harvest this year so all that is left to do is........?

I was out and about on my bicycle in rural CM early this morning. It was cold, 15C. In the villages I passed through, it was awful. so much smoke. This wasn't fires to keep warm, it was SMOKE. Damp leaves & garden cuttings piled up & smouldering. Thai villagers appear determined to send themselves to an early grave. "Amazing Thailand" bah.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

Since this is a thread about the cold-ish weather of late--I have a question, does anyone know where one could buy a reasonably decent [not sub-zero, Arctic type] sleeping bag in CNX?

My daughter went on a couple of school trips to higher altitudes last year and her thin sleeping bag didn't really do the job--I am hoping to find one before she needs it next time.

Since this is a thread about the cold-ish weather of late--I have a question, does anyone know where one could buy a reasonably decent [not sub-zero, Arctic type] sleeping bag in CNX?

My daughter went on a couple of school trips to higher altitudes last year and her thin sleeping bag didn't really do the job--I am hoping to find one before she needs it next time.

I seem to recall seeing some decent quality ones at Sports World (3rd floor Kad Suan Kaew).

I seem to recall seeing some decent quality ones at Sports World (3rd floor Kad Suan Kaew).

One one of the KSK floors there is a set up with tents, sleeping bags etc, you could try there.

Just to follow up on my own question, in case anyone else is interested.

As the previous posters said there are 2 places in KSK on the second floor- heading round the back to SportsWorld on the left is a very good quality camping supplies shop with very high spec sleeping bags- for my daughter's needs probably too high end-and also SportsWorld have some lower quality, but definitely good enough if one is not going camping at anywhere with temperatures around freezing, apparently alright down to around 7 degrees.

The ones in SportsWorld are on sale at the moment at around 1000 baht.

The high quality ones start at around 2800 and go up to 7000 baht for full down filling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...