Double Entry Tourist Visa

Rather than back trawl 100's of posts (which Ive already started doing) can someone enlighten me please on current regulations....??

I want to obtain a double entry visa arriving approx start of December and again start of March. My last exit from Thailand was 30th September. Assuming my passport is returned say Mid November when does the second entry have to be activated by ?? I will be home in February throughout so am not looking to use back to back ??

So 1 am I actually going to get a double entry and 2 when does second visa have to be activated by ??

Thanks in advance

It depends upon the visas length of validity from the date of issue. It can be can 3 months or 6 months to use the 2nd entry from the date of issue.

The majority of embassies and consulates issue a 2 entry visa with 6 months validity.

The embassy and consulate in Laos only issue them with 3 months of validity.

I got a double entry tourist visa in Perth last week and it is for three months.

On another note I am going to Germany on Friday so when I came through customs yesterday I asked them if I could get an entry visa so I could use the tourist visa when I came back from Germany next week but they wouldn't do it.

Pain in the neck really because I want to stay for four or five months and now it make it difficult. It means I will have to go and get a O visa or retirement visa for the last couple of months.

I got a double entry tourist visa in Perth last week and it is for three months.

On another note I am going to Germany on Friday so when I came through customs yesterday I asked them if I could get an entry visa so I could use the tourist visa when I came back from Germany next week but they wouldn't do it.

Pain in the neck really because I want to stay for four or five months and now it make it difficult. It means I will have to go and get a O visa or retirement visa for the last couple of months.

You could get a re-entry permit for the 60 day permit to stay you got on entry. You can get it at an immigration office or at either airport in Bangkok 24 hours a day. The fee is 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit.

You could get a re-entry permit for the 60 day permit to stay you got on entry. You can get it at an immigration office or at either airport in Bangkok 24 hours a day. The fee is 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit.

I don't really understand that.

When I come back from Germany in 10 days I will have one tourist visa left which would entitle me to 60 days plus one month extension. Are you saying I can get another 60 day permit on top of that?

You currently have a permission to stay for 60 days. If you want to leave and return within those 60 days you can apply for a re-entry permit, allowing you to leave and when you come back you keep your original permission to stay.

Say you enter on October 1 and have a permission to stay till Dec. 1. With a re-entry permit you can leave on October 21 and come back on October 28. When you come back immigration will stamp you in till Dec. 1 again and you can get the 30 day extension.

• Like 1

I don't really understand that.

When I come back from Germany in 10 days I will have one tourist visa left which would entitle me to 60 days plus one month extension. Are you saying I can get another 60 day permit on top of that?

A re-entry permit would keep the 60 day entry you have now valid when your return. It does not not add anytime. You could then extend the remainder of the 60 day entry you have now for 30 days before needing to go out to use your 2nd entry.

• Like 1

the way i seem to remember it, is that you have 90 days from when you activate your 1st visa to activate your 2nd visa.

you have no longer than 6 months to exhaust both visas.

double entry tourist visas were free back in 2009/10 for a time.

the way i seem to remember it, is that you have 90 days from when you activate your 1st visa to activate your 2nd visa.

All visa validity dates start from the date of issue. If it is valid for 3 months that is how long you have to use all the entries (not visas) from the date of issue. If it is valid for 6 months you would have that long to use all of entries.

It depends upon the visas length of validity from the date of issue. It can be can 3 months or 6 months to use the 2nd entry from the date of issue.

The majority of embassies and consulates issue a 2 entry visa with 6 months validity.

Hi ubonjoe,

I can't really understand your point. Do you mean in the embassy and consulate in Laos they only provide double entry visa with 3 months of validity, which means you can stay 2x2 months + eventually 1x2 months extension = 6 months in total ?
Whereas in the majority of embassies and consulates they issue a double entry visa with 6 months validity, which means you can stay 5x2 months + eventually 1x2 months extension = 12 months in total ?

Hi ubonjoe,

I can't really understand your point. Do you mean in the embassy and consulate in Laos they only provide double entry visa with 3 months of validity, which means you can stay 2x2 months + eventually 1x2 months extension = 6 months in total ?

Whereas in the majority of embassies and consulates they issue a double entry visa with 6 months validity, which means you can stay 5x2 months + eventually 1x2 months extension = 12 months in total ?

The only difference between the 3 or 6 months validity is that you do not have to do the 2nd entry so soon after the visas date of issue. It does not give you any addition time you can stay in the country. It is still going to be two 60 day entries and a 30 day extension for each entry giving a total stay of 6 months.

Would be applying at Embassy or Consulate in Uk ??

As mentioned above. Double entry tourist visa are valid six months, except those issued in Laos issued.

Except also Perth & Kuala Lumpur, apparently, if no others.

Validity for 3 months is of no use to me, personally, since after every 2-3 month visit to Thailand i exit the country for a similar period of time.

OTOH in the region Bali & Hanoi, for examples, have been giving 6 months validity. Their double entry tourist visas would be of some value to me. Laos' would not.

Edited by oldthaihand99

Hi ubonjoe,

The only difference between the 3 or 6 months validity is that you do not have to do the 2nd entry so soon after the visas date of issue. It does not give you any addition time you can stay in the country. It is still going to be two 60 day entries and a 30 day extension for each entry giving a total stay of 6 months.

Thank you for your reply, it's all clear now !

What about the triple entry visa ? Is it a total stay of 6 months too or 9 months (3 months for 1st entry, 3 months for 2nd entry, and 3 months for 3rd entry if we enter the Kingdom before 6 months) ?

A 3 entry can give up to 270 days but you would have to enter the country on the date it was issued to get that much since you need to use the 3rd before the visa expires. I would say 260 days would be a good number to use.

Bali will do a 3 entry tourist visa. But you need tickets out of the country for each entry. They will accept the tickets 90 day apart.

A lot of people do not want to buy the tickets out is probably the main reason people don't go there.

What a helpful thread for me. I apologize for the reputation. I want to make sure I understand. Am I right in the following?

1. If I get a double enter issued in Laos, I can stay 60 days, plus 30 more if get an extension once I’m in Thailand. After that 90 day period, I can then do a boarder run, exit and enter the same day. Then stay another 60 days + 30 day extension. Total 180 days.
  2. The only way to get exactly 180 days is if your 1st entry is to enter EXACTLY the same day as the visa is issued. If you wait a few days to enter after getting the visa, your will need to cut your 90 day stay short by a few days, in order to leave and reenter withing the 90 day deadline to use the 2nd entry.

This is my plan below, please let me know if you see any problems:

1. My ED extension expires Oct 22
  2. I leave TH on Oct 20
  3. Get double entry Tourist Visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet on Oct 21
  4. Enter TH on Oct 21 or Oct 22
  5. Stay for 60 days
  6. Extend 30 days
  7. So 90 days from date of issue is Jan 19
  8. And 90 days from date of entry is Jan 20
  9. Jan 19 or earlier, do a boarder run. Walk out, walk back in, and that’s my 2nd entry.
  10. Stay 60 days
  11. Extend 30 days
  12. Goodbye Thailand

Any potential issues getting this double entry tourist visa, since I was on an ED for 6 or 8 years prior?

Woh I didn't know it was possible to stay up to 9 months on a triple entry visa ! Why don't most of long term residents try to get it instead of a double entry then ? Is it harder to get it (in Bali for example) ?

I think Laos is more popular even though it offers only 3 month validity, only a 2 entry visa, & has long lineups. It's advantages are less requirements & probably more economical re getting there, etc, & proximity to Thailand. OTOH Laos is Laos.

The advantages of Hanoi & Bali are the triple entry, 6 months validity, short lineups, if any, & they are not called Laos. Disadvantages may be the economics of hotels travel etc, requirements for tickets & more days before you get your passport back.

Edited by oldthaihand99

I think Laos is more popular even though it is only 3 month validity, only a 2 entry visa, & long lineups. It's advantages are less requirements & probably more economical re getting there, etc, & proximity to Thailand. OTOH Laos is Laos.

No lineups in Savannakhet and visa is issued the same day.

All visa validity dates start from the date of issue. If it is valid for 3 months that is how long you have to use all the entries (not visas) from the date of issue. If it is valid for 6 months you would have that long to use all of entries.

I'm lost now !!

Downloaded and printed royal Thai Embassy visa forms and clearly states must be used within 3 months of issue ?? Not 6 months ??

I had no intention of using back to back and second entry wont be within 3 months of first entry (but would be within 6 )

I'm lost now !!

Downloaded and printed royal Thai Embassy visa forms and clearly states must be used within 3 months of issue ?? Not 6 months ??

I had no intention of using back to back and second entry wont be within 3 months of first entry (but would be within 6 )

From tourist visa page: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/45

"4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

- Single entry tourist visa will be valid for 3 months (you must enter Thailand within the validity of visa from the date of issue)

- double/triple entry will be valid for 6 months (you must enter Thailand on your final visit before expiry date)"

Info on application form is a bit vague.

I'm lost now !!

From tourist visa page: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/45

"4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

- Single entry tourist visa will be valid for 3 months (you must enter Thailand within the validity of visa from the date of issue)

- double/triple entry will be valid for 6 months (you must enter Thailand on your final visit before expiry date)"

Info on application form is a bit vague.

Again thanks.........hope the forum pays you decent salary for all your hard work appreciated

• 2 months later...