Uk Tourist Visa For Someone Who Has Irish Visa

A Thai friend of mine will be visiting me in Ireland next March. As he has been there before (2 years ago), I do not think he will have any problem getting another visa.

However, I am hoping that we can go to Cheltenham races together and I assume that he will need a separate visa in order to enter the UK.

Are there any special arrangements for people who already have a tourist visa to Ireland or will he have to go through the standard application procedure?

I am not a British citizen (I am Irish), so I presume that I cannot invite him to the UK.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

Ponder,

Your friend will need to apply for a UK visa, but you can act as the sponsor. That he has previously visited Ireland and will already (hopefully) have a second Irish visa will stand him in good stead when applying for the UK visa.

Scouse.

The chances are that your friend will not encounter an immigration officer when travelling between Ireland and the UK, but if he were to enter the UK without a visa, he would be a de facto illegal entrant. With a visa, even if he doesn't see an IO, he's there legitimately.

Scouse.