Life without alcohol, has all the fun gone?

giddyup

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have you ever noticed a few of these British Expats who spend a lot of time in the bars ( normally wearing a football top and talking about cheap beer ) they seem to address everybody with " ello mate " and have strange names such as Gaz ,Daz, Baz & Biz ....???? have you noticed viewers..?

F.J alt=wub.png>

Better names than say, Cupcake or Canarysun IMHO..................coffee1.gif

tongue.png

Has canary sun ever been in a bar in Thailand, considering his budget it would be well out is his league

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly consuming alcohol is not bad. To much emphasis is placed on that. Its like everything in life, all in moderation. I do not like or have ever cared for bars. I am a sip around the house type. I never get hangovers to any degree no matter how much I consume, Some might consider that a curse. I have come to the conclusion it is the quality of the alcohol consumed and a few other factors.

Live life and enjoy.

Sorry but you are wrong!

If you don't get hangovers it is because your body has developed a resistance to it that's all. I speak from experience. Spent a month in hospital last year....when I came out I would and often did get a hangover on just a drink or two.

I didn't learn much from it to be honest and am now back to drinking most days, never to excess but everyday none the less. No doubt I will regret it later. The advice many doctors give is to give yourself at least a couple of days off per week. Living alone as I currently do I find this difficult. Too easy just to have a little......sad!!

Edited by Franglais16
  • Like 1

When you drink in a bar you take on the responsibility of behavior of everyone in the bar....you might be mellow but sitting next to a SOB/timebomb.....bars tend not to bring the best/well adjusted crowds - they tend to bring in/draw just the opposite.....

When you drink in a bar you take on the responsibility of behavior of everyone in the bar....you might be mellow but sitting next to a SOB/timebomb.....bars tend not to bring the best/well adjusted crowds - they tend to bring in/draw just the opposite.....

I disagree. I think it really depends where you go

• Like 1

You mean like a bar where everyone knows your name?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Cheers!

No not at all. Certain places attract certain people. End of

• Like 1

Forced to give up smoking and drinking 5 months ago - not yet reaping the full benefits as an operation is needed, but not forthcoming. Still, life in general is cool. Now I spend my days plotting the downfall of assorted evil empires. I did not have these delusions of grandeur when I was drunk.

Hardly notice bars now. And I certainly don't miss them. But I do miss a nice chat over a game of snooker.

Cheers!

You obviously missed the connection. Cheers was an American sitcom where the theme song had the lyrics "where everybody knows your name". Starred Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson. Good show, ran for years. End of

• Like 1

Cheers!

You obviously missed the connection. Cheers was an American sitcom where the theme song had the lyrics "where everybody knows your name". Starred Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson. Good show, ran for years. End of

Lol, yeah sorry. Haha.

Drinking is difficult to shine away from as it more of a ceremony act in Western society, the whole opening of the wine at the restaurant, Christian priests blessing it at mass. It brings communities together at the local watering hole. How many people have offered you a glass of whiskey in a kind of a welcoming to conversation and the "cheer" being a mark of respect.

I never even started drinking or smoking and I would say I had a great life, when I was a teenager I played in a band, and was only interested in girls, I played in bands all the time till I came to live in Thailand, either as a full time musician or part time with a full time job, being a reasonably handsome guy, I never had a problem finding ladies company, so never felt the need to drink.

I did find it almost impossible to find a girl back in Scotland who did not drink or smoke, and I just had to accept that, now I have a lovely Thai wife who does not drink, even the Thai girls I met before I met my wife never drank or smoked, my Farang mates who all drink and are married to ex bargirls, seem to be happy with their lives in Thailand although there is the odd exception.

Some of biggest pants men of our time were total p*ssheads, so being "reasonably handsome" has nothing to do with "finding the ladies".

Drinking is difficult to shine away from as it more of a ceremony act in Western society, the whole opening of the wine at the restaurant, Christian priests blessing it at mass. It brings communities together at the local watering hole. How many people have offered you a glass of whiskey in a kind of a welcoming to conversation and the "cheer" being a mark of respect.

I believe "social lubricant" is the right term.

• Like 1

Yeah I remember cheers from back in the days when I watched tv!! A good show, one of the few good American sitcoms!! lol Well I like a few beers when I am in Thailand, but I have not bothered with the pubs over here for years!! Never really been much of a pub guy anyway, liked the nightclubs better!! Music & girls!!! lol. Worked in a few clubs years ago!! Don't miss the beer, miss Thailand!!You obviously missed the connection. Cheers was an American sitcom where the theme song had the lyrics "where everybody knows your name". Starred Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson. Good show, ran for years. End of

I never even started drinking or smoking and I would say I had a great life, when I was a teenager I played in a band, and was only interested in girls, I played in bands all the time till I came to live in Thailand, either as a full time musician or part time with a full time job, being a reasonably handsome guy, I never had a problem finding ladies company, so never felt the need to drink.

I did find it almost impossible to find a girl back in Scotland who did not drink or smoke, and I just had to accept that, now I have a lovely Thai wife who does not drink, even the Thai girls I met before I met my wife never drank or smoked, my Farang mates who all drink and are married to ex bargirls, seem to be happy with their lives in Thailand although there is the odd exception.

Some of biggest pants men of our time were total p*ssheads, so being "reasonably handsome" has nothing to do with "finding the ladies".

It certainly helps, along with playing in a band when you are meeting them all the time.

Good for the OP, I have some really close friends who don't drink, and haven't for years. They have a great life, full of fun and nothing missing from it. Nothing soft about not drinking, total respect.

I was never much of a drinker, just a few when I was younger but not much. In the last dozen years I've only started 2 or 3 beers, didn't even get close to finishing any of them.

Saved me a fortune over the years !

Remember an old mate telling me I was boring on the phone one day & in the next breath he was asking me where I got the money to buy my yacht..... Lol, some piss big $$$$ on the jimmy hiss. Then there's the brain cells, I never had too many good brain cells, so I couldn't really afford to kill them off for nothing.

Drunk Sheila's really turn me off.

The real fun begins away from drunk gronks !

Australians call a lady a " Sheila "in England a " bird " ( women hate it! lol ) but what is the story why Australians call a lady Sheila ? Just wondered.....

Oh and I just loved "Sir Les Patterson " ( an Australian Legend )

Farang Jaidee x

Australians call a lady a " Sheila "in England a " bird " ( women hate it! lol ) but what is the story why Australians call a lady Sheila ? Just wondered.....

Farang Jaidee x

Sheila was derived from an Irish girl's name Sila, but the term isn't used much amongst the younger generation these days.

• Like 1

Farang Jaidee x

Sheila was derived from an Irish girl's name Sila, but the term isn't used much amongst the younger generation these days.

Sheila Is a load, easily aroused women from the outback in Australia, and is still widely used and associated with Aussies.

Nothing to do with the Irish name "Sila"

Edited by thai20144

I'm with the op; it all tends to get a big long in the tooth, the bars and beer... not that I was ever massively into girlie bars. Do the pubs on occasion and have a few cold ones with the lads, but if you find yourself doing an inner groan listening to tripe barfly talk, it is time to reevaluate. On the other hand, cannot beat a merry night out with like-minded folk, perhaps a fun quiz in a laid back, open fronted place... the trick is to stay merry and not tip over into pissed territory. It all seems to go sideways after that.

It certainly helps, along with playing in a band when you are meeting them all the time.

There was this one time at band camp....biggrin.png

Not taking the p155 btw (it's from the movie American Pie).

I'd love to not drink but I would need to reassemble my life, which in itself is fine but would require money I don't have at the moment.

That's my excuse anyway, I would love to be like you guys who don't drink, I think maybe I would also need medical help whilst abstaining.

I drink daily, don't even enjoy it really....irony there for you.

Sad really. burp.gif

• Like 1

Yes, I stopped about 2 years ago. I miss the odd drink but at least It keeps me out of smokey bars and saves me money. My quality of life has not suffered and I would like to think that there have been improvements in health.

Just a small bottle of " Babycham " would send me to sleep......... x

When Babycham was popular,it was always reserved for your dear old Mother,who had about two a month!

Edited by MAJIC

Farang Jaidee x

Sheila Is a load, easily aroused women from the outback in Australia, and is still widely used and associated with Aussies.

Nothing to do with the Irish name "Sila"

Do a Google search before you give your worthless opinion. "Sheila is a load, easily aroused women"? What the hell does that mean? It might be widely used by some yobbo crowd that you associate with, but I never heard anyone under 70 use the expression. It's old school.

Sheila, Australian slang for "woman", is derived from the Irish girls' name Síle (IPA: /ʃiːlʲə/, anglicised Sheila).

Edited by giddyup

I am, and have always been, a social drinker. Only beer. When lived in Phuket knew some people who started drink early afternoon. If i refused to join they thought something was wrong with me.

I know a guy here who is a silent alcoholic. If people can give me advise on reading the signs of how he indirectly requests help i would be grateful.

I am, and have always been, a social drinker. Only beer. When lived in Phuket knew some people who started drink early afternoon. If i refused to join they thought something was wrong with me.

I know a guy here who is a silent alcoholic. If people can give me advise on reading the signs of how he indirectly requests help i would be grateful.

First off, how do you know he IS an alcoholic?