Taking Gold Back Home

Thongkorn

We are thinking of taking some Thai gold ingots back with us to the UK, They are about 50,000 baht each, would anyone know if there is a limit, Obviously we would carry

them on our person,, which in its self would cause Airport scanners to go off. if we have the receipts would it be a problem would anyone know.

Check if Thai customs view gold as cash or not as the limit on the way out is something like 10k US. Then, as above, you'll get stung for VAT going into UK. Also not sure if Thai gold is all that desirable as an investment over there. I'd be tempted to flog it here and pick up some Britannia coins from the Mint in Blighty; no CGT on that.

At one time you needed an export permit to export significant amounts of gold. Not sure if that's enforced or what amount would trip the switch requiring the permit, but you might check with a clearing agent in Bangkok to see if a permit is required for the amount you plan to take out.

I normally put it with the carry on luggage in separate places and it never a get check unless you are getting some serious numbers like 20-30 ingots

Moving 3-5 I have done and there are no issues

an alternative would be to install a small chain ...if they ask wear it in your neck and say it's personal jeweler

Edited by LawrenceChee