Got Stopped Tonight...

ChiangraiTony

I remember a few years ago being stopped on a road block returning from San Patong to CM, they took me aside and after all the usual identity questions they asked what I thought about Thaksin, I said I don't know him so have no opinion, then they asked if I supported Obama for prez, I said yea, they gave thumbs up and I was on my way.

That's funny. I had a similar experience in Hurghada, Egypt in about 2004 or thereabouts. At immigration at the airport, 2 officers right out of a movie with long, waxed handlebar mustaches asked me "Who do you like better; Sharon or Arafat?" Well I was not stupid and knew how to answer that one. Then, "Do you like Bush?" I told them my honest answer on that one and they both smiled exposed gold teeth, one guy took my money and placed it in his pocket and affixed the visa stamps to my passport. I suspect had I answered differently I would not have been given a visa. Then as I was walking out, one guy said "by the way do you know that it is very dangerous for Americans to be in Egypt right now?".

• Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a few years ago being stopped on a road block returning from San Patong to CM, they took me aside and after all the usual identity questions they asked what I thought about Thaksin, I said I don't know him so have no opinion, then they asked if I supported Obama for prez, I said yea, they gave thumbs up and I was on my way.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

It all sounds familiar. I would not worry about it much. That policeman was just showing off his worth to the others. A bit of play. He probably wanted to score an arrest, and did what he could. Sounds like he was hoping you would bribe him, in front of his seniors, so he could arrest you for that. (the newest crackdown)

I get pretty tight lipped when I am stopped. I speak a few more words of the lingo than most, but I sure will not impress any policeman by saying he is law mak..... Pretty lame for some of these "proficient" farangs to insist you flaunt your abilities. The policeman probably would just give you a nod..but would be thinking..."farangs never really do pronounce it right". My girl understands me, only because she knows all the words and phrases she taught me.... whether I pronounce them exactly correct ....is improbable.

In either case...you handled yourself well enough. Courteous, not drunk, no bribe...and just full of info.

Foreigners have incentives to learn English as it builds towards citizenship along with green cards works and all sorts of benefits...

What do we get here? Discounts at national parks and low cost healthcare - wait latter cancelled.

We are nothing but a guest and many a guest spends lots of money in Thailand for big ticket items...

Can understand it if you have children but bad investment otherwise....

Sounds like he wanted to practice his Engrish and you obliged.

The correct action would have been to ask, "Am I being detain or arrested, officer? If not, am I free to go?"

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

Would it be OK for a Mexican to move to your hometown in New York and not learn any English? Wait...don't answer that...

The "correct action", my derriere!

Agreed. That "correct action" wouldn't even work in the US. My former law partner was a retired police sergeant. He would say using a line like that would put you in contempt of cop and would have guaranteed the OP a ticket at the very least.

Remember Toto, you are not in Kansas anymore.

David

Big checkpoint near my house on the middle ring road last night.

Got stopped at about 11:30, in my car.

Had had many drinks, was certainly over the limit but not quite paralytic.

All very polite and friendly.

No big deal.

They are looking for drugs, I think.

Too many posters on here make an issue of nothing.

No big deal to you maybe. I hope I'm not the unfortunate one to get hit by you when you are driving drunk - especially with my kid in the car. It's people like you who should be arrested and spend the night in the cage while you sober up and think about your actions. I have nothing against adults going out and doing as they wish, including drinking until they pass out, but please, take a taxi home so you don't kill someone.

I agree but would add that along with that night in the cage goes a 20,000 baht fine, which might assist with the thinking,

• Like 1

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

Yes, it is not that hard to learn enough to be functional.

There are many reasons people don't (or can't) learn to speak Thai.

Big checkpoint near my house on the middle ring road last night.

Got stopped at about 11:30, in my car.

Had had many drinks, was certainly over the limit but not quite paralytic.

All very polite and friendly.

No big deal.

They are looking for drugs, I think.

Too many posters on here make an issue of nothing.

No big deal to you maybe. I hope I'm not the unfortunate one to get hit by you when you are driving drunk - especially with my kid in the car. It's people like you who should be arrested and spend the night in the cage while you sober up and think about your actions. I have nothing against adults going out and doing as they wish, including drinking until they pass out, but please, take a taxi home so you don't kill someone.

I agree but would add that along with that night in the cage goes a 20,000 baht fine, which might assist with the thinking,

Drink driving does seem to be one of those subjects that people either laugh off or are deadly serious about, doesn't it?

Mam told each of us, as we were old enough to drive or ride motorbikes, that if she ever opened our bedroom door and got a whiff that we had been drinking (we were too young and innocent to know how she'd know) and she knew we'd been on the road she would phone the local police station and tell the officers to watch out for us in future. She always told us that if we killed ourselves, it would be our own stupid, selfish faults, but the though of us taking the life of someone else's son or daughter or mother or father, which sadly often is the case when there are collisions (not accidents) where alcohol is a factor, almost angered her.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she would have had it been necessary, but fortunately instilled into all of us the common sense not to do it. And I'm glad that she did. One of the only times that I have ever really REALLY totally and completely lost my temper with Mr K was when I found he'd accepted a lift home from someone who was visibly drunk.

Aren't there countries where you can be jailed for driving under the influence?

Yes. The US and Sweden, and I'm sure there must be others.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

"Had many drinks but wasn't quite paralytic"

Just provide your registration number and I'll report you myself....

How dare you put my life at risk.....

Re the other issue...I guess the cops don't know whose here until they look....

There's so many expat unsavouries from all around the world in Asia....Phuket being a case in point...

• Like 1

For all the people who don't like drunk people in traffic at night.

Stay home, go back to your nanny state but don't complain.

It is what it is here and it will never change.

People drink, drive and most of them are Thai.

Even when not drunk horrible drivers.

It's a Thai thing, like covering up high profile murder cases.

Rich people do not go to jail.

Corrupt system in whole Thai society.

Nothing we can do about it but accept it, it is here to stay.

• Like 1

For all the people who don't like drunk people in traffic at night.

Stay home, go back to your nanny state but don't complain.

It is what it is here and it will never change.

People drink, drive and most of them are Thai.

Even when not drunk horrible drivers.

It's a Thai thing, like covering up high profile murder cases.

Rich people do not go to jail.

Corrupt system in whole Thai society.

Nothing we can do about it but accept it, it is here to stay.

post-223177-0-57189600-1413091201_thumb.

• Like 1