Stopped by police for drink driving ...

riki48

guess i got off easy in random stop after the Brit Club, just emptied my pocket, which usually has a few thousand in it. after some tense moments, I was driving well, but random stop was there..

Means a night out in Bangkok has to include a hotel room or 3000 in RT taxi, to avoid the greater risk.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when they first started using the breathalyser , they were that pleased , that it was reported in the Bangkok post where and at what time of night they were going to be using it.

Unbelievable.

What percentage of motorists do you think read a particular paper ?

Because the Bangkok Post is an English language paper , where people who cannot read Thai would get there news from .

Or are you saying motorists cannot read ?

Briandajew - as in all things ........

Meaning? you were a little vague and somewhat abrupt. I am only telling you my experience. I am probably what you would describe as a "functioning Alcoholic" I drink every night, no I do not get out of bed with the shakes and down a bottle of vodka just to get kick started.

I like a beer always will always have.

I work, sometimes an 18 hour or even a 36 hour shift, but when work is over I like a beer, 7 days a week 365 a year. I consider that after 4 or 5 bottles of Chang (due to alcohol tolerance) I can drive a car perfectly normal, I know people will differ on this but believe me if you drink everyday for more than 30 years it becomes the norm. I am not condoning it, I don't do it anymore, I don't go out drinking and driving. I have never done it for years, but if I had to drive after 5 beers there would not be a problem. I choose not to as I would not want to harm anyone, but this is mainly due to my poor eyesight these days especially at night. and woe betide anyone driving a car normally down a duel carriageway and hit some poor <deleted> Thai pissed out of their skulls on a motorbike with no lights coming down the fast lane in the wrong direction. But that is just me.

• Like 1

Well I will confess to an accident, about ten years ago. I was coming home from the city, stopped the car at a rather seedy joint, about 5 km from home. got pissed, and was leaving when 3 scrag ends of dog shit Thais wanted a fight. I took a monkey wrench out of the car and went back to greet them. To cut a long story short we left on friendly terms they having plied me with too much whisky.

I managed to get about 3 of the 5 km home before the car overturned into a ditch and I was left there upside down with the stereo blaring.

Anyway, someone called the cops, they heard the music and saw the wreck, I had cut my head open and was pissing blood, I remember two cops climbing up and trying to get me out and I remember telling them to get FCCCED etc. They actually just drove off and left me, they called one of those red pick ups that collect the dead, there was about 8 of those guys so there was not really an option, they simply dragged me out drove me home, the family cleaned my feet from the death truck, then the truck drove me 15k to hospital to get my head stitched and drove me home again, really brilliant blokes! and the cops too, they had me over a barrel if they wanted but they told the woman that phoned them that I hadn't hurt anyone or damaged anything except myself so basically they didn't care!

My son is a police officer in Chiang Mai and he often pulls over drunk drivers. Some of the farangs seem quite surprised when a Thai policeman speaks to them in a perfect English/part American accent.

It all depends on how much over the drink drive limit the driver is, and whether or not they cause any accidents, plus if they are legal or not to drive, meaning have a license, tax and so on.

The maximum fine is 20000 baht plus could involve a driving ban, and could lead to a custodial sentence for serious DIY offences and later deportation if anyone is injured and property is damaged. In extreme cases a life sentence if an innocent person or people are killed due to negligent drunk driving.

My advice to the OP is; if he believes there maybe serious charges brought against him by the police, than seek the services of a reputable lawyer. Either way this act of reckless drunk driving may cost him a whole truck load of cash.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Aware of 3 outcomes

1. Drunk on bike at 4am, 10 000 baht "fine" on the spot

2. Drunk on bike at 1am on Fri night, locked up for weekend, Monday off to court, fined 3000 baht. Bail was granted 30 000 baht to Thai guarantor.

3. Drunk on bike, at around the same time, fri night. locked up, bail refused. Monday off to court, fined 3000 baht, another 25000 in "legal fees" to avoid visa cancellation

'EX' friend of mine killed his girlfriend in the UK driving drunk. He did serious time.

How many baht do you think would compensate for that.

As the song goes

I can't sing

I ain't pretty

And my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you

I might not give the answer

That you want me to.

I ve been stopped about 10 years ago in phuket. I went to the court and i had to pay 3000 baht fine. When i came back to the police station they asked me 15000 baht to get back my passport or they said i ll be send to immigration. The best is to not drink and drive. It s what i do now.

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

Utter nonsense. I know of 2 convictions (I was in the car when one of the stops was made) and all that happened was the person is arrested, taken to the station, sent home, back in the morning to stsnd before the judge, fine given, then sent home - job done.

No deportation, no notes made in the person's passport, no problem to return here in the future.

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

I was not deported.

Were you convicted in a Thailand court of law for drive drinking ?

I answered your deportation claim. Make of that what you will but I'll not add any further information.

Edited by Spoonman

I knew of a man (since died) who was the husband of my wife's friend who was caught on his motorbike visiting his friend's house in the same Moban. He had to appear in court the next morning. The court in turn required a letter from the local Immigration Office (not sure what that was about). Everybody was really worried because it seems it depended on the contents of said letter whether he would be deported or not....it was serious stuff. Eventually it was all sorted the way a lot of these type of things are here.

Why would you be stopped riding in a Moo Ban? Aren't they private roads where you don't need a licence etc? What where the police even doing in the Moo Ban?

Just found this , http://www.thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-2.html

" Thailand’s legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 grams per liter of blood, and 0.2 grams for drivers who have possessed their license for less than five years. The fines for drunk driving in Thailand are usually heavy and can increase during holiday seasons."

Edited by NE1

I got pulled once on a motorbike by a huge checkpoint, I admit I had a few beers. The cops asked me if I had been on the whisky, I simply told them I didn't drink whisky, that was as far as it went. no breath test nothing (I was not drunk and staggering around but they obviously smelled the beer) They did however screw me over for quite a bit of cash seeing as I had no bike license, no number plate, to tax or insurance, but as far as getting done for drinking, no problem. One other time I had been out on my bike and I stopped on my way back home and bought a Chang at a mom 'n ' pop store, got talking with a Thai guy there, one thing led to another, we had a few beers (afternoon) buying one for one, then his mates turned up, they were in a cop pick up, turns out this guy was the head cop of the local amphur, he gave me a business card and told me to ring him if I ever had a problem in his area. When I went to leave the bike would not start, so two of his cops in uniform came over fiddled around and kicked it over. I went back later and took them a bottle of whisky, which they insisted we drank (this time I had the car) I think as long as you are not being a complete drunken idiot you will have very little problem, just don't be stupid.

I agree... if you do not give them (the Plod) a reason or look as if you will then you will be fine. However.... you were being stupid. For driving any vehicle (bike, car, or truck) IS stupid!

Having a good time with the local Plod chief is no excuse for what you did. For if you wound up killing someone what do you think would happen to you? Not to mention the fact that you would have that to live with for the rest of your life... most of it sitting in prison (not jail).

Drink responsibly and DO NOT drive! You ain't the only one on the road and you are not God's answer to perfection!

Do you know examples of people really being deported for this reason?

A friend of mine was detained for this in Phuket for a day or two, and got off with a fine.

Yes I do, in fact I know even about an example of being blacklisted for a few years. There are several examples in Pattaya.

After all, by immigration law every foreigner convicted in court of a criminal offense will be deported.

Is drunk driving a criminal offence or a civil offence?

anyone that drinks then drives should be strung up by their nuts, doesnt matter what country it is, putting other peoples lives at risk because your a p*ss head is simply not on and there are no excuses.

Same goes for texting and driving or talking on the phone while driving unless with a hands free, but even that is not perfect it's still distracting. Studies have shown that these 2 additional distractions are as, and even more dangerous then drunk driving, and the latter is FAR more prevalent day and night, I'm against them all. In these cases technology has not at all been a benefit.

• Like 1

I was not deported.

Were you convicted in a Thailand court of law for drive drinking ?

I answered your deportation claim. Make of that what you will but I'll not add any further information.

That of course adds a lot of credit to your comment.

Would you believe, I was also not deported, and I know hundreds of people that weren't deported.

Anyone else on Thaivisa who hasn't been deported???

Maybe you were not deported because you owned over a 100 Fords before you moved to Thailand whistling.gif

Well I will confess to an accident, about ten years ago. I was coming home from the city, stopped the car at a rather seedy joint, about 5 km from home. got pissed, and was leaving when 3 scrag ends of dog shit Thais wanted a fight. I took a monkey wrench out of the car and went back to greet them. To cut a long story short we left on friendly terms they having plied me with too much whisky.

I managed to get about 3 of the 5 km home before the car overturned into a ditch and I was left there upside down with the stereo blaring.

Anyway, someone called the cops, they heard the music and saw the wreck, I had cut my head open and was pissing blood, I remember two cops climbing up and trying to get me out and I remember telling them to get FCCCED etc. They actually just drove off and left me, they called one of those red pick ups that collect the dead, there was about 8 of those guys so there was not really an option, they simply dragged me out drove me home, the family cleaned my feet from the death truck, then the truck drove me 15k to hospital to get my head stitched and drove me home again, really brilliant blokes! and the cops too, they had me over a barrel if they wanted but they told the woman that phoned them that I hadn't hurt anyone or damaged anything except myself so basically they didn't care!

Looks from this and your previous posts in this thread that you're one of those quality tourists, who should be banned for life to operate a motor vehicle.

So how many beers can you have before you go home or say a glass of wine with your meal. ?

I guess the goody goodies here would say none but what's the calculation if there's a limit of 0.5 etc, 1 beer 640ml Chang at 6% would you be under, Oh ! sorry would I be under.

I always have a beer with a meal when out or a glass of wine I don't see anything wrong at all with it.

they got me in Pattaya 2 months ago with my bike on saturday night 8pm after 2 big Chnag beer and claimed 0.55 alcohol so little too much, took me to the police staion and luckily I know some VIP Thai they let me go withouth any fee....

Of course I was lucky but I am sure with my 90kg and just 2 Chang I never had 0.55 - but whatyou can do? I asked them to do the test again but they refused - also refused some pocket money because a BKK officer was around, so they took me to the station, but good for me I have some friends

Edited by MrJ

they got me in Pattaya 2 months ago with my bike on saturday night 8pm after 2 big Chnag beer and claimed 0.55 alcohol so little too much, took me to the police staion and luckily I know some VIP Thai they let me go withouth any fee....

Of course I was lucky but I am sure with my 90kg and just 2 Chang I never had 0.55 - but whatyou can do? I asked them to do the test again but they refused - also refused some pocket money because a BKK officer was around, so they took me to the station, but good for me I have some friends

The lucky ones were the people on the road with you that night.. Key question? Did you learn anything from your "luck" or are you now more irresponsible, inconsiderate and foolish as you were BEFORE your "lucky" night?

• Like 1

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

Aware of 3 outcomes

1. Drunk on bike at 4am, 10 000 baht "fine" on the spot

2. Drunk on bike at 1am on Fri night, locked up for weekend, Monday off to court, fined 3000 baht. Bail was granted 30 000 baht to Thai guarantor.

3. Drunk on bike, at around the same time, fri night. locked up, bail refused. Monday off to court, fined 3000 baht, another 25000 in "legal fees" to avoid visa cancellation

'EX' friend of mine killed his girlfriend in the UK driving drunk. He did serious time.

How many baht do you think would compensate for that.

As the song goes

I can't sing

I ain't pretty

And my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you

I might not give the answer

That you want me to.

What does your friend in UK have to do with thailand and my post?

This ain't UK and those were the facts to which I am aware having close contact with all 3 cases.

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

Save the preaching for another audience .

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

How many accidents caused by foreigners in comparison to thai while dui? The ratio would be 1:10000???

Now how many thai drive without any license or "purchased" license?

Many foreigners do it because Thai do it . It does not mean it's right , it's just how it is.

Few years back I was hit by a speeding drunk taxi driver, it was around 22pm. The cop who arrived on the scene stunk of whisky and he also drove to the scene.

Now I only wished I was also drunk at the time as my wounds would have hurt less.

• Like 2

They should swing

I think anyone caught drinking and driving should be deported and black listed, keep all you drunk idiots a lesson, mostly falangs get wasted and do not give a rats azz about anyone, until you crash and hurt someone, it happened to me, drunk falang hit me and i was in the hospital for over a year in Bkk part hosp. 6 month in a coma and the rest i was in surgery and rehad and that happened when i was 24, I always have a rule, I even thought I was a little impaired i would pay a motorbike taxi to drive me and my bike, car or truck home, it is not worth spending years in a Thai prison sucking dick for noodles, so to all the drunks out there on this forum, if you get caught drinking, I wish you and ill and painful death.

Peace

WB.

Saying "it's just how it is" is the lamest excuse ever. No one be they Thai, Farang or Martian should be driving under the influence. If Thais decided to jump off a hight cliff would you?

Save the preaching for another audience .

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

How many accidents caused by foreigners in comparison to thai while dui? The ratio would be 1:10000???

Now how many thai drive without any license or "purchased" license?

Many foreigners do it because Thai do it . It does not mean it's right , it's just how it is.

Few years back I was hit by a speeding drunk taxi driver, it was around 22pm. The cop who arrived on the scene stunk of whisky and he also drove to the scene.
Now I only wished I was also drunk at the time as my wounds would have hurt less.
  • Like 1

anyone that drinks then drives should be strung up by their nuts, doesnt matter what country it is, putting other peoples lives at risk because your a p*ss head is simply not on and there are no excuses.

why not pop round to my place with some string......it wont be going round my nuts tho. you sound like the typical <deleted> that cant control a machine after a shandy. cant handle your drink? walk. otherwise stay out of other peoples enjoyment of life.

• Like 1