Stopped by police for drink driving ...

riki48

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago a bunch of european gangster/biker guys were arrested here with the help of the police from a few european countries - a quite prominent case. They were convicted for a number of crimes committed in Thailand, crimes much more serious than drunk driving, and were jailed for several years in Thailand. Like all other foreign criminals they were asked to sign a paper in Thai agreeing that they would be deported once released from prison. However they decided not to sign, and could therefore stay in thailand after they had served their jail sentence. Some left by choice, but some decided to stay and are still here.

My point is, criminals may be tricked into agreeing to be deported by signing a paper they cannot read, but there seems to be no law reg. automatic deportation.

I would think that the law below is pretty clear.

Section 12 (6) of the Immigration Act BE 2522 states that foreigners who have been imprisoned as a result of a conviction either in Thailand or abroad will be prohibited from entering Thailand. Section 36 of the Immigration Act, moreover, provides that where there is reasonable circumstance the Director-General of Immigration or the Immigration Commission may revoke a foreigner's visa.

I agree, that does seem pretty clear.

However there is a difference between being denied entry and being deported. Or perhaps the law you mention is just not always enforced (like many other laws).

Revoking a foreigners visa translates to deportation, but as I said already in post #11, in Thailand it is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer if he enforces the law or provides another "solution" .

Agree, but according to the law you posted, denying entry seemed an automatic thing, while revoking the visa was optional, not an automatic thing. And I suppose immigration has the option to revoke anyone's visa at any time anyway, crime or not.

they got me in Pattaya 2 months ago with my bike on saturday night 8pm after 2 big Chnag beer and claimed 0.55 alcohol so little too much, took me to the police staion and luckily I know some VIP Thai they let me go withouth any fee....

Of course I was lucky but I am sure with my 90kg and just 2 Chang I never had 0.55 - but whatyou can do? I asked them to do the test again but they refused - also refused some pocket money because a BKK officer was around, so they took me to the station, but good for me I have some friends

The lucky ones were the people on the road with you that night.. Key question? Did you learn anything from your "luck" or are you now more irresponsible, inconsiderate and foolish as you were BEFORE your "lucky" night?

I had 2 beers with 90kg and was far away from foolish and/or drunk - so no need to learn anything as I was clearly within the law just theu tried to make some mooney with their not calibrated gadgets, just share and replied to the OP

they got me in Pattaya 2 months ago with my bike on saturday night 8pm after 2 big Chnag beer and claimed 0.55 alcohol so little too much, took me to the police staion and luckily I know some VIP Thai they let me go withouth any fee....

Of course I was lucky but I am sure with my 90kg and just 2 Chang I never had 0.55 - but whatyou can do? I asked them to do the test again but they refused - also refused some pocket money because a BKK officer was around, so they took me to the station, but good for me I have some friends

The lucky ones were the people on the road with you that night.. Key question? Did you learn anything from your "luck" or are you now more irresponsible, inconsiderate and foolish as you were BEFORE your "lucky" night?

I had 2 beers with 90kg and was far away from foolish and/or drunk - so no need to learn anything as I was clearly within the law just theu tried to make some mooney with their not calibrated gadgets, just share and replied to the OP

Depending on the time in which you consumed those 2 large Changs you could easily have been above the legal limit.

• Like 1

Just found this , http://www.thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-2.html

" Thailand’s legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 grams per liter of blood, and 0.2 grams for drivers who have possessed their license for less than five years. The fines for drunk driving in Thailand are usually heavy and can increase during holiday seasons."

I got my drivers license in my country for over 11 years, but just 2-3 years in here.

0.2 grams per liter is like 1 50cc beer or just 33cc beer to be safe.

Wonder why so many deaths during songkran and why nobody goes to Jail :)

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

Save the preaching for another audience .

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

Oh so that's ok then... Thais do it more so it's ok if I do it. utter <deleted>.. I agree though he is preaching to the wrong audience, he should be doing it to an audience with a sense of conscience, maturity and selfless morality who may take his advice to heart and obviously that's not people like you.

Sorry Kawsaki nothing personal but quite surprised you liked his comments, to be honest regardless of whether or not one drinks heavily, there is no legitimate reasoning or excuse for doing it and driving.

Let's try again since you have trouble reading.

Go back to my post and read it slowly , after you have , read it again and if you still struggle get dictionary out and try again

I have no trouble reading, YOU however apparently have trouble writing as after my post I read further and there were several others who read your post EXACTLY as I did. Nice attempt at a back step though.

Really that's not just sad it's pathetic for an answer and a perspective. Of course a driving drunk driver/rider would be in denial about how much they were influenced up until they started video taping peoples behavior while drunk they never had a clue how pathetic they looked and acted, and once they view themselves most sensible people make radical changes.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The maximum fine is 20000 baht plus could involve a driving ban,

That information is one or two years out of date. The fine for drinking in a vehicle is 60,000 Baht and/or 6 months in prison. Additionally drunk drivers face fines up to 50,000 Baht and/or up to one year in prison. Driving licenses would be suspended for no less than 6 months or permanently revoked.

Have a friend in Khon Kaen stopped and over the limit, he was taken to the station put in a cell and called his Thai wife who came down, 4,000 fine and 8,000 bail to get out, he had to report few times to the police station before he got his bail back but no court.

3 years ago I was stopped in HuaHin while driving motorbike with the final quarter of a black label bottle I had drunk at a disco, tucked inside my belt. Quite intoxicated, but definitely a better driver than 99.9 % of the drivers on the roads in Thailand any time of day. I am a professional driver, before you ask!

Special mention to the "stiffneck" motorbike drivers (many old farangs in pattaya) who enter the roads from small sois on the left without a care who is already driving on the road.

I paid 4500 and was told I could come back later without problem if I wanted to drive more that night.

Wow.

That's an impressive story and I've no doubt you are an incredible drunk driver.

• Like 2

I got done a few years ago on Silom. They had a proper stop and breathalysed me and I was over the limit. It was a Friday night and I was given the option of a weekend in the cells and court on Monday. 8000 fine (motorbike), or an under the table on the spot 4000. Needless to say I chose the latter. I was lucky. And they gave me my license back and let me drive home too.

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

Maybe in some cases. A friend, on a motorbike, in Pattaya was not deported. On a 30 day waiver and will be returning in November.

3 years ago I was stopped in HuaHin while driving motorbike with the final quarter of a black label bottle I had drunk at a disco, tucked inside my belt. Quite intoxicated, but definitely a better driver than 99.9 % of the drivers on the roads in Thailand any time of day. I am a professional driver, before you ask!

A true professional driver would know not to drive when 'quite intoxicated'...

• Like 1

The real law regarding drinking and driving is really bad so all those guys drinking and driving you have to be very careful. The law says:

1. A fine between 4000 to 20000 Baht. Probably based on how much alchohol you have in your body
  2. Loss of license for few months or for ever
  3. Imprison for up to one year.
  4. Beside all these if you have an accident first of all you can not make any insurance claim at all anywhere. Secondly if someone die or get injured you can be sued for a hell lot of money and even if you have a travel insurance they will not give a penny.

I have got these information from this web site only by the lawyer. Now up to you to drink and drive or not.

Good luck

• Like 1