Stopped by police for drink driving ...

riki48

3 years ago I was stopped in HuaHin while driving motorbike with the final quarter of a black label bottle I had drunk at a disco, tucked inside my belt. Quite intoxicated, but definitely a better driver than 99.9 % of the drivers on the roads in Thailand any time of day. I am a professional driver, before you ask!

Special mention to the "stiffneck" motorbike drivers (many old farangs in pattaya) who enter the roads from small sois on the left without a care who is already driving on the road.

I paid 4500 and was told I could come back later without problem if I wanted to drive more that night.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

Your going to have to explain that one and give the facts/details. Sorry! but you can't just make a statement like that and not add support for it.

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

They should swing

I think anyone caught drinking and driving should be deported and black listed, keep all you drunk idiots a lesson, mostly falangs get wasted and do not give a rats azz about anyone, until you crash and hurt someone, it happened to me, drunk falang hit me and i was in the hospital for over a year in Bkk part hosp. 6 month in a coma and the rest i was in surgery and rehad and that happened when i was 24, I always have a rule, I even thought I was a little impaired i would pay a motorbike taxi to drive me and my bike, car or truck home, it is not worth spending years in a Thai prison sucking dick for noodles, so to all the drunks out there on this forum, if you get caught drinking, I wish you and ill and painful death.

Peace

WB.

and lets hope that karma wipes you out as youre walking down a busy street full of drunken farangs. if you cant handle a drink and ride a bike then walk. simple. dont try and tell those who can handle a drink and still get home safely how to live their lives

• Like 1

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

Do you know examples of people really being deported for this reason?

A friend of mine was detained for this in Phuket for a day or two, and got off with a fine.

Yes I do, in fact I know even about an example of being blacklisted for a few years. There are several examples in Pattaya.

After all, by immigration law every foreigner convicted in court of a criminal offense will be deported.

STill rumor and heresay.

Do you know examples of people really being deported for this reason?

A friend of mine was detained for this in Phuket for a day or two, and got off with a fine.

Legally speaking it not a question can they, yes they can deport you, the question is will they ? So whether some gets deported or not would be on a case for case basis

Can't find a link to this law?????

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes I do, in fact I know even about an example of being blacklisted for a few years. There are several examples in Pattaya.

After all, by immigration law every foreigner convicted in court of a criminal offense will be deported.

Really? That certainly isn't my experience.

Without exaggeration, I know over 10 people who have been through the Thai court system, and they are still living happily in Thailand.

No backhanders, no intervention, through the system.

If you want to question my comments, why don't you look up Thailand immigration laws, or why do you think that immigration has a presence at the courts.

Of course the decision is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer and is only for criminal law convictions.

The blacklisting I'm talking about was a single example I know of, since he is a friend of a friend, and was ordered by the court for a period of 5 years.

It happened 4 years ago in South-Pattaya on second new years day, at the same time at least 5 other guys were caught at the same location that I know of, but only 1 was blacklisted.

Deportation also doesn't equal to blacklisting, when you are deported your are allowed to come back the next day.

In short, every criminal conviction invalidates your current right (visa) to stay in Thailand

Sorry but the onus is on the member who makes blanket statements to supply the Law governing the statement.

Your going to have to explain that one and give the facts/details. Sorry! but you can't just make a statement like that and not add support for it.

I think you have made your point more than clear, by posting it 3 times within a few minutes, that you are looking for an argument.

Let me be specific to you. I have no obligation at all to proof any point to you, do your homework yourself.

If you had read throughout the thread, unless activating the chip on your shoulder in the hope to have an argument, you would have noticed that at least 2 members have confirmed my statement already by posting their PERSONAL experiences rgearding the invalidation of their visa after being convictedsmile.png

Have a nice day.

I think you have made your point more than clear, by posting it 3 times within a few minutes, that you are looking for an argument.

Let me be specific to you. I have no obligation at all to proof any point to you, do your homework yourself.

If you had read throughout the thread, unless activating the chip on your shoulder in the hope to have an argument, you would have noticed that at least 2 members have confirmed my statement already by posting their PERSONAL experiences rgearding the invalidation of their visa after being convictedsmile.png

Have a nice day.

As always the person making blanket statements must come to their own defence after being called out. Yes a couple have said they had visa problems but not deported or black listed as fines seem to be the norm.. YES to making 3 points now 4 and I will continue to point out irresponsible stupid statements without supportfacts/details when the poster doesn't DO HIS HOMEWORK whereever I have the misfortune to come across them.

Know someone who was positive and had to pay cash because he used a mouth spray !!! Even if they were clearly wrong they didn't want to let him go...

And does anyone know where to buy an electronic breathalyzer in Thailand ?

Thanks.

Edited by thairastawoman

anyone that drinks then drives should be strung up by their nuts, doesnt matter what country it is, putting other peoples lives at risk because your a p*ss head is simply not on and there are no excuses.

Same goes for texting and driving or talking on the phone while driving unless with a hands free, but even that is not perfect it's still distracting. Studies have shown that these 2 additional distractions are as, and even more dangerous then drunk driving, and the latter is FAR more prevalent day and night, I'm against them all. In these cases technology has not at all been a benefit.

Good driver as you are I am sure that you could do all safely ! <3

I'm 99% convinced that DUI, as fas as alcohol is concerned, is not a criminal offense.

Any drink driver deserves the full force of the law. You are breaking the law and you are putting innocent people at risk because of your arrogance and stupidity. If you are a drunk driver I would jail you for 6 months! minimum, if you injured or god forbid, killed someone you deserve life in jail!

Blah blah blah. Any time I'm on the hiway I see a continuous stream of people endangering other so called "innocent people" while driving. Haven't you noticed Thai driving? Albeit I haven't seen a serious accident they do occur. Wouldn't driving against traffic sober be just as deadly sober or otherwise?

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

Save the preaching for another audience .

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

How many accidents caused by foreigners in comparison to thai while dui? The ratio would be 1:10000???

Now how many thai drive without any license or "purchased" license?

Many foreigners do it because Thai do it . It does not mean it's right , it's just how it is.

Few years back I was hit by a speeding drunk taxi driver, it was around 22pm. The cop who arrived on the scene stunk of whisky and he also drove to the scene.

Now I only wished I was also drunk at the time as my wounds would have hurt less.

I agree with you. A few years after I first moved to Thailand my girlfriend and I had a big New Years eve party, think it was 2000. We went to her home town of Udon. We did the whole nine yards, entertainment group with the stage and dancing girls, loads of beer, whiskey and food. My girlfriend's mother knew allot of police in Udon and invited everyone. We had police showing up all night drinking and then driving off on their motorbikes, both low level guys and top commanders. Yes, things have changed allot since then and that is good, but still the police don't regard having a few drinks and driving a big deal. I recall my dad talking about when he was young in the USA and police find you with too much to drink they would follow you home to make sure you made it home ok. That was back in the 30's and 40'S I'm sure everyone knows how strict they are in the US and Europe they are now. Hopefully Thailand will continue to get stricter on laws in Thailand. Myself I have been stopped a few times for drinking and driving once in Bangkok a few years ago. I was asked if I have been drinking which I was but said no. They did not test me and let me go for 200B for turning right onto Sukhumviet from Nana which was not allowed. Next time was in Surin and I was not drinking this time they tested me which showed nothing, I was let go with nothing to pay.

Sometimes I wish Thailand stays the same as it was when I first came here and other times I'm hoping for change. I like being able to pay 200B and not have to go through that hassle of a real ticket, points, insurance rate increases, driving school etc. I like to pay a 100B at the government building to get things expiated. I like allot of the freedoms we have in Thailand that we dont have in the west, riding in the back of a pickup, sure I know the dangers but it's my decision to do it. I dont have all my i's dotted and t's crossed but a few baht and it's not an issue. Sure there are times things work against me but most of the time a few baht and things are turned around and in my favor. I miss the Thailand that I had when I first came here.....

I was not deported.

Were you convicted in a Thailand court of law for drive drinking ?

I answered your deportation claim. Make of that what you will but I'll not add any further information.

That of course adds a lot of credit to your comment.

Would you believe, I was also not deported, and I know hundreds of people that weren't deported.

Anyone else on Thaivisa who hasn't been deported???

Maybe you were not deported because you owned over a 100 Fords before you moved to Thailand whistling.gif

Really "not deported because you owned over a 100 Fords before you moved to Thailand".... pretty pathetic clutch of straws to discredit me.... guess you are not happy people are calling bullshit on your claims.

/* snip */

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Drunk-driving-law-tightened-30188003.html

Drunk-driving law tightened

The Nation August 10, 2012 1:00 am

Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

Hmmm --- this article mentions any occupants, not only driver. Any more details on the correct wording? Why would the Thai government want to punish any drunk passenger for being driven home by a sober driver ? Edited by RTH10260
  • Like 1

Saying "it's just how it is" is the lamest excuse ever. No one be they Thai, Farang or Martian should be driving under the influence. If Thais decided to jump off a hight cliff would you?

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

How many accidents caused by foreigners in comparison to thai while dui? The ratio would be 1:10000???

Many foreigners do it because Thai do it . It does not mean it's right , it's just how it is.

Few years back I was hit by a speeding drunk taxi driver, it was around 22pm. The cop who arrived on the scene stunk of whisky and he also drove to the scene.

Now I only wished I was also drunk at the time as my wounds would have hurt less.

Well you cal always climb the tallest building in bkk, beat your chest and hopefully someone will hear you ;)

Saying "it's just how it is" is the lamest excuse ever. No one be they Thai, Farang or Martian should be driving under the influence. If Thais decided to jump off a hight cliff would you?

Well you cal always climb the tallest building in bkk, beat your chest and hopefully someone will hear you wink.png

Actually his logic is flawless.. yours is that of an alcoholic. The fact that more Thais percentage wise drink has nothing to do with the fact that you should not drink and drive and that i is enforced at times. Of all the people i really dislike its people who drink and drive because it cost me a family member in the past. People who drink and drive (or get stoned and drive) are selfish pricks who endanger others for their own pleasure.

(nothing wrong with getting drunk stoned (illegal here) and having fun without driving a vehicle) If you can afford to drink you can afford to pay a taxi. If not drink less.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is drunk driving a criminal offence or a civil offence?

I know that in UK it is classed as a criminal offence, pretty sure the same applies here.

• Like 1

Wow. I never realised so many of you came to Thailand straight from the Vatican. There us a reason for legal limits and testing apparatus. Not everyone is impaired to the extent they cannot operate a motor vehicle after a few. I think drunk driving accidents and people driving seriously impaired should be dealt with according to the law...not according to what any one person thinks.

My guess is all of you who call for extreme penalties for even minor infractions probably get pissed in front of their kids then give them life advice and think they are somebody's hero.

Next time you make an illegal turn or catch the red light by a fraction of a second I expect to see you turn yourself in at the nearest police station.

To answer the OP, my friend paid a fine recently on the spot after testing just over the limit. He had been drinking water for three hours after partying earlier so that he could drive. He was cordial with the officers and I think this helps to settle minor infractions. That and as he appeared uninspired to any observer.

So in summary, if there is a Thai Visa Forum meet up EVER...I won't be there. IMHO the greater majority of you have nothing but misery and judgmental opinions to spew. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. I say that with love :)

• Like 1

/* snip */

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Drunk-driving-law-tightened-30188003.html

Drunk-driving law tightened

The Nation August 10, 2012 1:00 am

Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

Hmmm --- this article mentions any occupants, not only driver. Any more details on the correct wording? Why would the Thai government want to punish any drunk passenger for being driven home by a sober driver ?

Similar laws exist in some countries in Europe, the passenger sitting next to the driver can not be drunk.

By the way the article says occupants of vehicles of any kind, NOT any occupants.

Seems that a few people with chip on their shoulder on this forum are out to shoot the messenger, but at the same time fail to proof their statements.

I got pulled once on a motorbike by a huge checkpoint, I admit I had a few beers. The cops asked me if I had been on the whisky, I simply told them I didn't drink whisky, that was as far as it went. no breath test nothing (I was not drunk and staggering around but they obviously smelled the beer) They did however screw me over for quite a bit of cash seeing as I had no bike license, no number plate, to tax or insurance, but as far as getting done for drinking, no problem. One other time I had been out on my bike and I stopped on my way back home and bought a Chang at a mom 'n ' pop store, got talking with a Thai guy there, one thing led to another, we had a few beers (afternoon) buying one for one, then his mates turned up, they were in a cop pick up, turns out this guy was the head cop of the local amphur, he gave me a business card and told me to ring him if I ever had a problem in his area. When I went to leave the bike would not start, so two of his cops in uniform came over fiddled around and kicked it over. I went back later and took them a bottle of whisky, which they insisted we drank (this time I had the car) I think as long as you are not being a complete drunken idiot you will have very little problem, just don't be stupid.

Naar Brian,you a just an ordinary garden gnome type of idiot,very common in these parts.Should be confined to home until they can learn common decency for fellow road users.

• Like 1

they got me in Pattaya 2 months ago with my bike on saturday night 8pm after 2 big Chnag beer and claimed 0.55 alcohol so little too much, took me to the police staion and luckily I know some VIP Thai they let me go withouth any fee....

Of course I was lucky but I am sure with my 90kg and just 2 Chang I never had 0.55 - but whatyou can do? I asked them to do the test again but they refused - also refused some pocket money because a BKK officer was around, so they took me to the station, but good for me I have some friends

Bad news for the rest of us roadusers.

• Like 1

they got me in Pattaya 2 months ago with my bike on saturday night 8pm after 2 big Chnag beer and claimed 0.55 alcohol so little too much, took me to the police staion and luckily I know some VIP Thai they let me go withouth any fee....

Of course I was lucky but I am sure with my 90kg and just 2 Chang I never had 0.55 - but whatyou can do? I asked them to do the test again but they refused - also refused some pocket money because a BKK officer was around, so they took me to the station, but good for me I have some friends

Bad news for the rest of us roadusers.

anyone that drinks then drives should be strung up by their nuts, doesnt matter what country it is, putting other peoples lives at risk because your a p*ss head is simply not on and there are no excuses.

why not pop round to my place with some string......it wont be going round my nuts tho. you sound like the typical <deleted> that cant control a machine after a shandy. cant handle your drink? walk. otherwise stay out of other peoples enjoyment of life.

I will help you SJ,we will meet tomy when he drives home after enjoying himself,he should be in a good mood.tomy probably says"i drive better after a few beers".

• Like 1

To all the shoulder chipped members who try to shoot the messenger.

Section 12 (6) of the Immigration Act BE 2522 states that foreigners who have been imprisoned as a result of a conviction either in Thailand or abroad will be prohibited from entering Thailand. Section 36 of the Immigration Act, moreover, provides that where there is reasonable circumstance the Director-General of Immigration or the Immigration Commission may revoke a foreigner's visa.