Stopped by police for drink driving ...

riki48

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we know what the immigration act says, the simple fact is not everyone gets deported.

Must be that you have some shit in your eyes, but I posted already before you entered this thread the following..

But don't let the reality get in the way of a good argument

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767415-stopped-by-police-for-drink-driving/?p=8517111

Of course the decision is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer and is only for criminal law convictions.

Actually his logic is flawless.. yours is that of an alcoholic. The fact that more Thais percentage wise drink has nothing to do with the fact that you should not drink and drive and that i is enforced at times. Of all the people i really dislike its people who drink and drive because it cost me a family member in the past. People who drink and drive (or get stoned and drive) are selfish pricks who endanger others for their own pleasure.

(nothing wrong with getting drunk stoned (illegal here) and having fun without driving a vehicle) If you can afford to drink you can afford to pay a taxi. If not drink less.

1. I never said driving drunk is acceptable , brush up your English reading skills

2. Fact, there are by far more Thais than tourists or expats and in comparison of thai drunk drivers causing accidents to foreign drivers is in thousands .

3. Preaching foreigners not to drink and drive is a waste of space , air and oxygen, because even IF all expats stopped, there will still be thousands of thai's doing it.

Edited by konying
  • Like 1

Yes we know what the immigration act says, the simple fact is not everyone gets deported.

Must be that you have some shit in your eyes, but I posted already before you entered this thread the following..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767415-stopped-by-police-for-drink-driving/?p=8517111

Of course the decision is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer and is only for criminal law convictions.

Well get off your high horse then.... nice backflip on your claims you will be deported if convicted though.

Edited by Spoonman

Actually his logic is flawless.. yours is that of an alcoholic. The fact that more Thais percentage wise drink has nothing to do with the fact that you should not drink and drive and that i is enforced at times. Of all the people i really dislike its people who drink and drive because it cost me a family member in the past. People who drink and drive (or get stoned and drive) are selfish pricks who endanger others for their own pleasure.

(nothing wrong with getting drunk stoned (illegal here) and having fun without driving a vehicle) If you can afford to drink you can afford to pay a taxi. If not drink less.

1. I never said driving drunk is acceptable , brush up your English reading skills

2. Fact, there are by far more Thais than tourists or expats and in comparison of thai drunk drivers causing accidents to foreign drivers is in thousands .

3. Preaching foreigners not to drink and drive is a waste of space , air and oxygen, because even IF all expats stopped, there will still be thousands of thai's doing it.

1 If you say so seemed like a please don't show me that im doing a stupid dangerous thing post

2 That might be so but its hard to reach the Thais so but this is a stupid argument like dont go after foreigners as Thais do it too. Kinda like the kids did when you.. but he does it too (i outgrown those arguments)

3 Yes.. but it would still help a lot because a reduction is a reduction. Again logic that is hard to escape.

Fact is expats should know better and those that don't are just not using their brain.. normal of course for alcoholics.

I am all for party and drinking.. just not operating a vehicle after you done that. Its not that hard.

• Like 1

Well get off your high horse then.... nice backflip on your claims you will be deported if convicted though.

Wasn't my post made before you made your first post with the useless argument, and did you notice that it was me who said that ?

Trying to continue with increasing your postcount with baseless arguments ?

Firstly being a retired truck driver and having seen many horrible accidents due to driving drunk I think stringing you up by the gonads would be light penalty. I drove liquor truck for 32 years and haven't had a drop of booze in over 40 years. Why drive and risk the life of yourself or others no excuse if you can buy a drink keep enough cash to pay for cab. I lost 6 good friends in one accident due to a drunk driver the drunk driver lived but ended up getting life in prison Please do yourself and others a favor take a cab.wai.gif . I have always told my friends if you need a ride cause your drunk call I will drive you home, better than carrying your coffin to your grave. Once had a friend call 200 miles round trip but I kept my word and he is alive today because I did what I said I would do.

Edited by Strangebrew
  • Like 2

Yes, you claimed if you are convicted of drink driving you will be deported, I was not deported and a few others have posted that they also did not get deported.

Maybe you should not bother commenting on something you are clearly clueless about.

Based on the information of 0.5 grams alcohol per litre of blood, and allowing for alcohol absorption in the first hour, 4 cans of Chang beer at 330 ml volume and 6% alcohol would see the average male over the limit if drunk over a time frame of two hours. For the less than 5 years licence limit of 0.2 grams of alcohol per litre of blood, it would only take two cans.

Some medications interfere with alcohol metabolism, which can also elevate BAC.

While actual blood alcohol depends on individual body weight and rate of metabolism by the liver, I suspect that there are a lot of people out there ( falangs and Thais ) who are well over the limit without being aware of it. Possibly Thai jails would be full of drink-drivers if the letter of the law was strictly applied.

• Like 1

Yes, you claimed if you are convicted of drink driving you will be deported, I was not deported and a few others have posted that they also did not get deported.

Maybe you should not bother commenting on something you are clearly clueless about.

I posted before you started your argument

Of course it is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer.

However you are a native English speaker, you seem to have a problem to comprehend the English language.

From your posts in other threads you also seem to have issues with counting though.

Now FO.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But that was not the post that most people were commenting on. If you go back to your post #6:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767415-stopped-by-police-for-drink-driving/?p=8516532

"Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense"

That's the one that caused all the controversy. If you had changed the 'will' to 'could' I think most people would have agreed with you.

I think we all agree that deportation and blacklisting can happen, and in my view, personal as it is, should happen for anyone driving drunk where they are in a state that can cause injury or death through substance abuse.

• Like 1

However you are a native English speaker, you seem to have a problem to comprehend the English language.

From your posts in other threads you also seem to have issues with counting though.

Now FO.

Good, so you're distracting your first post about this: "Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense."

Edited by stevenl

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But that was not the post that most people were commenting on. If you go back to your post #6:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767415-stopped-by-police-for-drink-driving/?p=8516532

"Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense"

That's the one that caused all the controversy. If you had changed the 'will' to 'could' I think most people would have agreed with you.

I think we all agree that deportation and blacklisting can happen, and in my view, personal as it is, should happen for anyone driving drunk where they are in a state that can cause injury or death through substance abuse.

Thanks for your contribution.

Your last post shows once again that posters should read thoughout the thread before jumping to attack a poster, since ALL attacks were made AFTER I added the correction already.

At the end post #6 and #11 aren't that far and between and show up on the same page, so should've been easily visible at the same time.

Now FO.

Good, so you're distracting your first post about this: "Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense."

I was adjusting my post #6 with an addition in post #11, you have a problem with that ?

Let me just say that you could have been more clear in your earlier postings what exactly you meant. And that goes for post posts early on.

What is it with the attitude BTW?

Edited by stevenl

Got stopped one night in Issan after taking a friend home who was stranded. Senior cop insisted on taking me to the station, I was well over the limit, but got him to speak to the then wife on my phone and end result was 4,000 baht to be paid directly into his hand without his minions seeing it. Then allowed to continue driving home...logic!!

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

Save the preaching for another audience .

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

Oh so that's ok then... Thais do it more so it's ok if I do it. utter &lt;deleted&gt;.. I agree though he is preaching to the wrong audience, he should be doing it to an audience with a sense of conscience, maturity and selfless morality who may take his advice to heart and obviously that's not people like you.

Sorry Kawsaki nothing personal but quite surprised you liked his comments, to be honest regardless of whether or not one drinks heavily, there is no legitimate reasoning or excuse for doing it and driving.

another tee-totalist speaking burp.gif

anyone that drinks then drives should be strung up by their nuts, doesnt matter what country it is, putting other peoples lives at risk because your a p*ss head is simply not on and there are no excuses.

Plenty of defensive drunks on this thread, it usually does bring out the riff raff when this topic comes up..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Saying "it's just how it is" is the lamest excuse ever. No one be they Thai, Farang or Martian should be driving under the influence. If Thais decided to jump off a hight cliff would you?

There are by thousands more thai driving drunk than foreigners and those thai could not care less what you or law says or thinks.

How many accidents caused by foreigners in comparison to thai while dui? The ratio would be 1:10000???

Now how many thai drive without any license or "purchased" license?

Many foreigners do it because Thai do it . It does not mean it's right , it's just how it is.

Few years back I was hit by a speeding drunk taxi driver, it was around 22pm. The cop who arrived on the scene stunk of whisky and he also drove to the scene.

Now I only wished I was also drunk at the time as my wounds would have hurt less.

Well you cal always climb the tallest building in bkk, beat your chest and hopefully someone will hear you wink.png

Agree totally, his logic IS flawless which is why the drunk won't get it, it's too much reasoning for a drunk to do. Sorry for your loss, nothing more painful then a completely avoidable accident that takes a loved one and it comes down to a selfish drunk who survives or not and thinks they're indestructible and better then the rest of us...

Not everyone is impaired to the extent they cannot operate a motor vehicle after a few. I think drunk driving accidents and people driving seriously impaired should be dealt with according to the law...

This is a fallacy, one drink impairs you, so many people can't properly operate a vehicle with out even one drink but that's just the level of impairment being measured and legal limit put on that level. How many accidents per day happen without impairment? So even 1 drink is more impairment then one needs regardless of what the LEGAL limit is..

Edited by WarpSpeed

1 If you say so seemed like a please don't show me that im doing a stupid dangerous thing post

2 That might be so but its hard to reach the Thais so but this is a stupid argument like dont go after foreigners as Thais do it too. Kinda like the kids did when you.. but he does it too (i outgrown those arguments)

3 Yes.. but it would still help a lot because a reduction is a reduction. Again logic that is hard to escape.

Fact is expats should know better and those that don't are just not using their brain.. normal of course for alcoholics.

I am all for party and drinking.. just not operating a vehicle after you done that. Its not that hard.

All good points and if there are so many Thai's drinking and driving it seems logical to me that I'd want to be as sharp as a thumb tack to avoid the drunks instead of being just as pissed and incompetent as they are virtually guaranteeing a sad ending.

Very rough rule of thumb is two standard drinks in the first hour and then one an hour after that to remain under 0.05.

It's surprising how little booze you need to drink to be illegal.

The detail of a standard drink is below (from an Oz site). Google "standard drink" for wine, spirit etc equivalents.

Obviously with a Chang being much higher in alcohol content than the beer used below the number should be reduced.

My guess is one large bottle of Chang will pretty well put you at the limit.

Don't bother starting with "it depends on body weight" or " if I have eaten a meal" etc etc.

You decide, you take the risk.

My approach is that if I am driving I consume ZERO alcohol. It's the only way I can be sure I'm not at risk of being caught.

Number of standard drinks - beer Full strength 4.8% alc. vol

285 ml glass - 1.1 standard drinks
375 ml bottle or can - 1.4 standard drinks
425 ml glass - 1.6 standard drinks
24 x 375 ml case - 34 standard drinks

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

I was not deported.

Were you convicted in a Thailand court of law for drive drinking ?

A few years ago a bunch of european gangster/biker guys were arrested here with the help of the police from a few european countries - a quite prominent case. They were convicted for a number of crimes committed in Thailand, crimes much more serious than drunk driving, and were jailed for several years in Thailand. Like all other foreign criminals they were asked to sign a paper in Thai agreeing that they would be deported once released from prison. However they decided not to sign, and could therefore stay in thailand after they had served their jail sentence. Some left by choice, but some decided to stay and are still here.

My point is, criminals may be tricked into agreeing to be deported by signing a paper they cannot read, but there seems to be no law reg. automatic deportation.

Edited by monkeycountry

A few years ago a bunch of european gangster/biker guys were arrested here with the help of the police from a few european countries - a quite prominent case. They were convicted for a number of crimes committed in Thailand, crimes much more serious than drunk driving, and were jailed for several years in Thailand. Like all other foreign criminals they were asked to sign a paper in Thai agreeing that they would be deported once released from prison. However they decided not to sign, and could therefore stay in thailand after they had served their jail sentence. Some left by choice, but some decided to stay and are still here.

My point is, criminals may be tricked into agreeing to be deported by signing a paper they cannot read, but there seems to be no law reg. automatic deportation.

I would think that the law below is pretty clear.

Section 12 (6) of the Immigration Act BE 2522 states that foreigners who have been imprisoned as a result of a conviction either in Thailand or abroad will be prohibited from entering Thailand. Section 36 of the Immigration Act, moreover, provides that where there is reasonable circumstance the Director-General of Immigration or the Immigration Commission may revoke a foreigner's visa.

There are so many stories here of people with absolutely no self control. If you want to drink, then drink all you want but NEVER operate any vehicle on a public road afterwards. Just imagine how you would feel if a drunk driver (or rider) killed one of your children.

Save the preaching for another audience .

Oh so that's ok then... Thais do it more so it's ok if I do it. utter <deleted>.. I agree though he is preaching to the wrong audience, he should be doing it to an audience with a sense of conscience, maturity and selfless morality who may take his advice to heart and obviously that's not people like you.

Sorry Kawsaki nothing personal but quite surprised you liked his comments, to be honest regardless of whether or not one drinks heavily, there is no legitimate reasoning or excuse for doing it and driving.

Let's try again since you have trouble reading.

Go back to my post and read it slowly , after you have , read it again and if you still struggle get dictionary out and try again

Section 12 (6) of the Immigration Act BE 2522 states that foreigners who have been imprisoned as a result of a conviction either in Thailand or abroad will be prohibited from entering Thailand. Section 36 of the Immigration Act, moreover, provides that where there is reasonable circumstance the Director-General of Immigration or the Immigration Commission may revoke a foreigner's visa.

I agree, that does seem pretty clear.

However there is a difference between being denied entry and being deported. Or perhaps the law you mention is just not always enforced (like many other laws).

I agree, that does seem pretty clear.

However there is a difference between being denied entry and being deported. Or perhaps the law you mention is just not always enforced (like many other laws).

Revoking a foreigners visa translates to deportation, but as I said already in post #11, in Thailand it is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer if he enforces the law or provides another "solution" .