Stopped by police for drink driving ...

riki48

Hi All

I am looking for factual accounts of any farang being stopped by the police when over the drink driving limit. Not so much involved in an accidents whilst over the limit but just a random road side stop

What was the outcome, as in was it settled at the roadside (ie, via a trip to an ATM ) , Or has any member been through the system and processed through the court and what was the outcome.

Thanks Riki

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

In Chiang Mai recently, you were carted off to the police cells, whoever you were, Thai or farang, car or motorbike. You would then appear in court the next working day and be fined 20,000 baht. I didn't have the pleasure, but know people that did. Previously, people had the option of diverting to the ATM to contribute to the RTP's Tetley's tea fund, 10k or more, before a new chief went on a crackdown. Not sure of the MO now.

They should swing

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

Do you know examples of people really being deported for this reason?

A friend of mine was detained for this in Phuket for a day or two, and got off with a fine.

Yes I do, in fact I know even about an example of being blacklisted for a few years. There are several examples in Pattaya.

After all, by immigration law every foreigner convicted in court of a criminal offense will be deported.

Edited by TheCruncher
  • Like 1

Add to that, that you will be deported since you're convicted for a criminal offense.

A friend of mine was detained for this in Phuket for a day or two, and got off with a fine.

Legally speaking it not a question can they, yes they can deport you, the question is will they ? So whether some gets deported or not would be on a case for case basis

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes I do, in fact I know even about an example of being blacklisted for a few years. There are several examples in Pattaya.

After all, by immigration law every foreigner convicted in court of a criminal offense will be deported.

Really? That certainly isn't my experience.

Without exaggeration, I know over 10 people who have been through the Thai court system, and they are still living happily in Thailand.

No backhanders, no intervention, through the system.

If you want to question my comments, why don't you look up Thailand immigration laws, or why do you think that immigration has a presence at the courts.

Of course the decision is as always up to the discretion of the immigration officer and is only for criminal law convictions.

The blacklisting I'm talking about was a single example I know of, since he is a friend of a friend, and was ordered by the court for a period of 5 years.

It happened 4 years ago in South-Pattaya on second new years day, at the same time at least 5 other guys were caught at the same location that I know of, but only 1 was blacklisted.

Deportation also doesn't equal to blacklisting, when you are deported your are allowed to come back the next day.

In short, every criminal conviction invalidates your current right (visa) to stay in Thailand

Edited by TheCruncher

I was not deported.

• Like 1

Is drunk driving a criminal offence or a civil offence?

I was not deported.

Were you convicted in a Thailand court of law for drive drinking ?

Is drunk driving a criminal offence or a civil offence?

Will you be jailed for a civil offense ?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Drunk-driving-law-tightened-30188003.html

Drunk-driving law tightened

The Nation August 10, 2012 1:00 am

Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

Aware of 3 outcomes

1. Drunk on bike at 4am, 10 000 baht "fine" on the spot

2. Drunk on bike at 1am on Fri night, locked up for weekend, Monday off to court, fined 3000 baht. Bail was granted 30 000 baht to Thai guarantor.

3. Drunk on bike, at around the same time, fri night. locked up, bail refused. Monday off to court, fined 3000 baht, another 25000 in "legal fees" to avoid visa cancellation

• Like 2

I remember when they first started using the breathalyser , they were that pleased , that it was reported in the Bangkok post where and at what time of night they were going to be using it.

Unbelievable.

I'm sure all the drunk drivers scan the Bangkok Post before aiming their cars home blitzed.

And for the few who accidentally came across the article, maybe it made them think twice about driving to and from the local. Mission accomplished one way or the other.

Any drink driver deserves the full force of the law. You are breaking the law and you are putting innocent people at risk because of your arrogance and stupidity. If you are a drunk driver I would jail you for 6 months! minimum, if you injured or god forbid, killed someone you deserve life in jail!

• Like 2

I knew of a man (since died) who was the husband of my wife's friend who was caught on his motorbike visiting his friend's house in the same Moban. He had to appear in court the next morning. The court in turn required a letter from the local Immigration Office (not sure what that was about). Everybody was really worried because it seems it depended on the contents of said letter whether he would be deported or not....it was serious stuff. Eventually it was all sorted the way a lot of these type of things are here.

Got done in BKK. Roadside alcohol control. Got out of the car and got tested pos for drink driving. Got back IN the car to follow the Police officer on his motorbike to the police station. Parked the car up and went in. Got processed, finger printed and put in the cell overnight. YES, not kidding!

Following morning released on bail 20K baht and of to court the next day. Fined 4500 baht, 40 working hours cleaning Klongs and seeing a probation officer once a month for a year! They even gave me my special little Yellow Book.

Oh and the deposit was paid back by cheque at the police station once I showed the courts decision. No problems at all.

• Like 1

I remember when they first started using the breathalyser , they were that pleased , that it was reported in the Bangkok post where and at what time of night they were going to be using it.

Unbelievable.

I'm sure all the drunk drivers scan the Bangkok Post before aiming their cars home blitzed.

And for the few who accidentally came across the article, maybe it made them think twice about driving to and from the local. Mission accomplished one way or the other.

Maybe they were intelligent and read it in the morning , then figured out what time and where it was safe to have a couple then decide what route to drive home.

Drunken drivers are not drunk 24 hrs a day. So maybe " mission " was not accomplished and people got away with it.

not everyone gets deported after being convicted of criminal offence it is entirely up to immigration

a friend of mine was driving home on the patong - kamala road with his girlfriend, pretty drunk when stopped by the old bill...they told him he was now going to be locked up for 2 days for being drunk while driving, his thai gf asked how much?? 5 thousand , and took his driving license off him and let him drive back into Patong to get to an atm...another one i know, driving from kamala to surin was stopped and was asked how much he had on him, he had just been to the atm and had 10 thousand...so that was the price for the fine..

Unbelievable.

Maybe they were intelligent and read it in the morning , then figured out what time and where it was safe to have a couple then decide what route to drive home.

Drunken drivers are not drunk 24 hrs a day. So maybe " mission " was not accomplished and people got away with it.

Not entirely true - or safe.....a good percentage of DUI's are caught in the morning driving to work after a night of drinking in the US. Had a person that I knew that actually killed two people while driving to work after a night of drinking....when I asked the question - how can this happen?.... I was told that a good number or DUI arrests in California came between 5AM to 9AM in the morning as people were driving to work....the alcohol was in their system and had not yet processed out....I think it was in the 20-30% range.....

Chances are someone that feels 'normal" during the drinking probably feels AOK the day after....