UK MPs to vote on recognising Palestine as a state

Lite Beer

MPs to vote on recognising Palestine as a state

LONDON: -- MPs are to take part in an historic vote in Parliament that will call on the government to recognise Palestine as a state.

Labour backbencher Grahame Morris will present the motion on Monday as MPs return to the Commons.

The motion has the full backing of the Labour shadow cabinet, the BBC has been told.

The vote is symbolic and would not change government policy but could have international implications.

Current government policy, as set out by former foreign secretary William Hague, is that the UK "reserves the right to recognise a Palestinian state bilaterally at the moment of our choosing and when it can best help bring about peace".

Mr Morris's motion states that "this House believes that the government should recognise the state of Palestine alongside the state of Israel".

The BBC understands that a group of backbench MPs will attach an amendment to the motion on Monday.

The amendment is expected to add a clause with the words "as a contribution to securing a negotiated two-state solution".

Swedish move
The vote comes amid moves elsewhere in Europe to recognise Palestine officially.

Sweden's new centre-left government announced last week that it intends to officially recognise Palestine as a state, becoming the first European Union member state to do so.

It will join more than 100 other countries that have already recognised Palestinian statehood.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29571958

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-11

• Like 1

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm smart enough to know that Israel has been trying to make peace since the Palestinian Arabs declared war on them in 1948 and the Palestinians have refused time after time and continued with violent jihad. Are you smart enough to know that the ones who started the violence in the first place, and have refused numerous peace deals over decades, deserve the lions share of the blame?

Well it's good that you at least admit they share some of the blame.

I'm not particularly defending terrorists, but both sides in this pitiful war are intransigent.

Personally I'd nuke Jerusalem and then see how much they want to fight over who gets it.

whistling.gif

• Like 2

I'm smart enough to know that Israel has been trying to make peace since the Palestinian Arabs declared war on them in 1948 and the Palestinians have refused time after time and continued with violent jihad. Are you smart enough to know the ones who started the violence in the first place and have refused numerous peace deals deserve the lions share of the blame?

as ever the American Israel apologist doesnt want the simple recognition of Palestine as a state.

Of course I do. As soon as the Palestinians sign a peace plan, recognize the Jewish state and honor their commitments under the Oslo Accords, they should get their own country. Recognizing Palestine as a state, before that time, means nothing according to the agreements that they already made, which is why this vote is merely symbolic.

5555...as usual want to keep the last word, aren't you.....what about people not recognizing Israel because of their human rights violations record, their constant non respecting of international law and their total disinterest in a peaceful solution?... you would certainly agree that we in the meantime disrecognize Israel, aren't you...5555...

• Like 2

Israel, isnt that the country that was hanging British servicemen from lamposts?

The same country that had to intoduce an almost dead language no-one spoke due to the influx of returnees that couldnt speak English?

You really cant blame our Yank friends, look at the biased coverage of the news they get.

Example,

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/nbc-ayman-mohyeldin-pulled-gaza-palestinian-kids.html

Wouldnt want anything to upset the "mythmakers" and their sensitivities.

Talk about the re writing and air brushing of history, its happening right now.

how low can these people sink ?bah.gif

Whatever the outcome of the vote, let us not take this as a valid reason to pour hard earned tax payers money (aid) into the state. The Palestinians want their own independence, no problem, let them support their own with their own resource, aggregate for construction(?)

Whatever the outcome of the vote, let us not take this as a valid reason to pour hard earned tax payers money (aid) into the state. The Palestinians want their own independence, no problem, let them support their own with their own resource, aggregate for construction(?)

Funnily enough, I have American friends who say the exact same about Israel, how much of the hard earned Uncle Sam tax payers money do they take in each year.

• Like 2

Funnily enough, I have American friends who say the exact same about Israel, how much of the hard earned Uncle Sam tax payers money do they take in each year.

$3.1 Billion this year, $120 Billion since 1949.

If that's the decision of the U.K, so be it. I don't really see how that changes the conditions on the ground in Israel, West Bank, and Gaza though. I know this reflects a change in tactics ... to try to push the Palestinian statehood cause ignoring cooperation from Israel. Whether that works or not, eventually brings a lasting peace with two actual states or not ... I don't know.

From Israel's POV, Hamas still is quite clear in their goal to wipe out Israel and for Israel to not exist with statehood being seen as a stepping stone towards that genocidal goal.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1