Changing Registration Plate following moving to new Region

I've got a friend moving from Nakhon whereever to Pattaya (i know, but he won't be said...)

Can anyone tell me how he changes the plate on the car ? does he have to do anything at his local Vehicle Office, or just rock up to the one next to Regents School ?

What documents are required and are there any costs involved ?

Lastly, does he have to take the vehicle for it to be examined ?

Thanks in advance...

Why does your friend would change it? No need to...he can drive the car all around Thailand without changing. However if he insists he can go tot the Land and Transportation Department with passport, driving license, visa, proof of address, registration book of the car, proof of ownership (2 copies of all) and get a new tax plate.

Can this be done at the Hwy36 place in Banglamung now?

I did mine many years ago, and had to go to the place in Chonburi City.

It previously had Bangkok plates and I was given a few good reasons for changing it, can't remember them now!

Edited by jacko45k

Why does your friend would change it? No need to...he can drive the car all around Thailand without changing. However if he insists he can go tot the Land and Transportation Department with passport, driving license, visa, proof of address, registration book of the car, proof of ownership (2 copies of all) and get a new tax plate.

so i understand its a requirement if you are permanently residing in a new region.....

...actually, you have to go to your local office where the vehicle is registered first to transfer the vehicle OUT of the province. Then you have to go to the new area office to have the vehicle checked, hand in the paperwork from the old province and then wait for them to give you a second date when you can go back and get your new plates and book. Yes, you do have to pay for this, but I can't remember how much. Much easier to leave the registration alone and just change the address of the owner.

I'm not sure if I am 100% accurate but we have our car registered in Phichit but we live in Phitsanulok.

When the rego is due each year we have to go to Phichit to renew the rego as wife says we can't pay it in Phitsanulok.

If I'm wrong my apologies to the op, it's just what the wife tells me.

Maybe op can check in Pattaya or Nakhon Nowhere if this is correct

Edited by Dumbfounded

I'm not sure if I am 100% accurate but we have our car registered in Phichit but we live in Phitsanulok.

When the rego is due each year we have to go to Phichit to renew the rego as wife says we can't pay it in Phitsanulok.

Thats because You had Finance when the Car was new. The Dealers address is on the Blue Book.

I think it would be very wise to change plates / provinces.

Reason being, that for example Speeding Tickets or anything else will be send to your old address in the other province.

In the (near) future that would for us either,

a- pay the new owner send it to us by Snail Mail (if he is willing to do that)

b- a 1000km round trip

Thats because You had Finance when the Car was new. The Dealers address is on the Blue Book.

Ace, thanks for pointing that out, I never considered it, we do have finance on the car

No requirement in Thailand that you have to change license plates when you move to a new province. Actually many people get a Bangkok license plate when they buy a new car rather than then a licence plate from their province. No issue with road tax, speeding tickets, insurance. You only need to change it if you sell the car and you want to transfer ownership at another province then your license plate.

• Like 1

If your vehicle is registered in Bangkok then there is no need - anywhere else you are technically obliged to reregister if your permanent address changes to a different region.

The same is true if you purchase a vehicle second hand from another region.

The paperwork is quite extensive ( imagine that in LOS ) and there is, of course, a fee involved and a vehicle inspection.

You are looking at a day unless you know somebody there however for a small fee there are places where they will do all the messing about for you which is by far the simpler option.

...actually, you have to go to your local office where the vehicle is registered first to transfer the vehicle OUT of the province. Then you have to go to the new area office to have the vehicle checked, hand in the paperwork from the old province and then wait for them to give you a second date when you can go back and get your new plates and book. Yes, you do have to pay for this, but I can't remember how much. Much easier to leave the registration alone and just change the address of the owner.

I transfered mine from Bangkok to Phichit quite easily, yes, the car had to be checked, but your first sentence did not apply at all, it costs around 1000 Baht, but that was about five years ago. It could be that different Provinces have different rules. Best to find out what your province rules are.

I transfered mine from Bangkok to Phichit quite easily, yes, the car had to be checked, but your first sentence did not apply at all, it costs around 1000 Baht, but that was about five years ago. It could be that different Provinces have different rules. Best to find out what your province rules are.

If it is relevent, I bought my car from a dealer in Bangkok, and paid cash, no finance.

No requirement in Thailand that you have to change license plates when you move to a new province. Actually many people get a Bangkok license plate when they buy a new car rather than then a licence plate from their province. No issue with road tax, speeding tickets, insurance. You only need to change it if you sell the car and you want to transfer ownership at another province then your license plate.

True, a friend has been driving his Phukel registered Toyota around Udon Thani for 8 years now with no problem, renews annual road tax at a local office here no worries.

On the other hand I bought TW a used vehicle with a Khon Kaen License and that had to be changed. Very easy, about 1500 Baht all up inc inspections, blue book altered and new plates issued immediately.

Edit: In fact the guy came out from behind the desk, with a screwdriver, and swapped the plates for her.

Edited by bdenner