Thai interview: 'Society must value integrity'

webfact

Wow! Sounds like there is finally someone who gets it! Now, let's see this start at the highest levels within the nation. If the law makers and law enforcement personnel can not instill integrity through example, then there is little hope that the rest of the country can or will.

Yes. Definately. A nudge toward achieving this would be various forms of sanctions i.e. consequences for NOT acting in according to the goal of National Integrity. My current view is Thais have no real concept for cause/effect/ or being held responsible for much.

Smart man.

Except, you can't change the foundation once you've built the house, and Thailand is a shame culture, not a guilt culture. in order for integrity to work here, Face must first be decreased greatly. This will never happen.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters."

Alan K. Simpson

U.S. Senator

• Like 1

"If you look at developed countries, people do not accept bribes or commit corruption because they uphold and value personal integrity. That hasn't been the case in our country, and it's something we should try to foster in our society."

Every Thai policeman and Government official should read the above line 10 times per day. Than maybe after a couple of years the country can move up to be a Developing country, now it's going backward, its not even developing.

100% Right.

It came as quite a shock to learn that there is actually a Thai word for "integrity"..................

"If you look at developed countries, people do not accept bribes or commit corruption because they uphold and value personal integrity. That hasn't been the case in our country, and it's something we should try to foster in our society."

Every Thai policeman and Government official should read the above line 10 times per day. Than maybe after a couple of years the country can move up to be a Developing country, now it's going backward, its not even developing.

Oh really. Doesn't he read the news from the states? What is money from a lobbyist? There is corruption in the developed countries, they've just learned to be more discrete.

"Every Thai policeman and Government official should read the above line 10 times per day. Than maybe after a couple of years the country can move up to be a Developing country, now it's going backward, its not even developing."

Methinks it might be best to start with the monks setting an example and preaching the value of self integrity. Maybe if the people believed that merit purchases do not negate wrongdoing things might change.

• Like 1

They flock to temples, they light incense at their alters every morning, they give alms to wandering monks in early morning hours: yet no "integrity" has been instilled. Reminds me of the "Bible Belt" in the USA, where prayer to God in Churches doesn't mean not kicking down the poor, discrimination against minorities, and all the rest of the story that reverberates in every country which celebrates it's piety openly in the streets for everyone to see and admire but practices the same corruption, hypocrisy and exploitation. Religion doesn't seem to work, seems there needs to be other ways to instill decency in human beings other than these dominating religions.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." Matthew 6:1 & 2

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness." Matthew 23:27

"Methinks it might be best to start with the monks setting an example and preaching the value of self integrity. Maybe if the people believed that merit purchases do not negate wrongdoing things might change."

I guess that might actually be a good thing, even if just being one of the many different approaches needed, but some might even listen to that...

and don,t forget an honest and convincing way to teach children at schools... and then, one day, even big old "I know everything better" daddy might start listening

MAYBE....

Edited by TTom911

Smart man.

Except, you can't change the foundation once you've built the house, and Thailand is a shame culture, not a guilt culture. in order for integrity to work here, Face must first be decreased greatly. This will never happen.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters."

Alan K. Simpson

U.S. Senator

When you come from a society that values probity, decency, honesty, honour etc, the concept of a guilt-based society is something of a shock. It basically means you don't take any responsibility for your actions until you get caught. In that regard, maybe the good professor, as he undertakes this task, should carry the words of Martin Luther King as his motto: "Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness." For that is essentially what these reforms are all about. Edited by WitawatWatawit
  • Like 1

Integrity will not exist so long as there are double standards: Not needing work permit to exhibit at a government funded trade shows as opposed to privately funded ones. Look at the Beer market. It is closed, why ? Started with the double standards imposed by the government.

They flock to temples, they light incense at their alters every morning, they give alms to wandering monks in early morning hours: yet no "integrity" has been instilled. Reminds me of the "Bible Belt" in the USA, where prayer to God in Churches doesn't mean not kicking down the poor, discrimination against minorities, and all the rest of the story that reverberates in every country which celebrates it's piety openly in the streets for everyone to see and admire but practices the same corruption, hypocrisy and exploitation. Religion doesn't seem to work, seems there needs to be other ways to instill decency in human beings other than these dominating religions.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." Matthew 6:1 & 2

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness." Matthew 23:27

What's the point of citing Christian dogma to a Buddhist?

'' Thank you vicar, that was a nice short sermon''

''Yes well i try not to be boring''

'' But you were boring''

reading that a man who expresses such views in writing is" ... a newly appointed member of the National Reform Council and a leading candidate to become the NRC's president ..." makes me feel a little better this morning... Let's see what happens in the afternoon... ;)

It does feel like it is going backwards. Would not doubt it at all if social forums get blocked with the conscience they have tried to provide the police and government. This story says it all in the opening line "Instilling moral values could be the key to solving national woes, says likely NRC chief Thienchai" and they could make a first step by looking at the actual suspects in the Koh Tao hoe killings. If they don't get that investigation back on the right track, integrity has no hope in Thailand and it will continue its slide toward a bush league state, fueled by cronyism and corruption.

I was hoping against hope that the Koh Tao case would be a turning point, hasn't happened.

Ok, so lets start with the police, government, beach chairs........the list goes on and on.... no space here. thumbsup.gif

Those who cheered at the usurpation five months ago of elected government, such as it was, and its replacement by the usual suspects, with the declared intention of cleaning up corruption, would do well to note events in Thailand, both criminal and civil, of the past few weeks.

Were readers in Thailand able, without a VPN, to read an article by a threatened but exiled Thai academic in this week's Asia Sentinel online, the scales might fall from a few eyes.

• Like 1

It does feel like it is going backwards. Would not doubt it at all if social forums get blocked with the conscience they have tried to provide the police and government. This story says it all in the opening line "Instilling moral values could be the key to solving national woes, says likely NRC chief Thienchai" and they could make a first step by looking at the actual suspects in the Koh Tao hoe killings. If they don't get that investigation back on the right track, integrity has no hope in Thailand and it will continue its slide toward a bush league state, fueled by cronyism and corruption.

TOTALLY TRUE. The outcome of that f... up case will tell a lot about Thailand .... I would praise the day for being proven wrong in my skepticism, I'D LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG ...

About 2 years ago the Bangkok Post ran a poll asking Thais if corruption was acceptable (or something to that ilk). 70% of respondents (and there were several thousand) came back and said that they believed corruption was acceptable, as long as they as individuals received a benefit from it. That response shocked me. Was this just the Thai Y- generation speaking ? How the hell can you beat an ingrained psych like that ? In the West we are taught from an early age that corruption stands alongside of criminality. Do the Thais understand this ? Being a long time observer, I still just don't know.

About 2 years ago the Bangkok Post ran a poll asking Thais if corruption was acceptable (or something to that ilk). 70% of respondents (and there were several thousand) came back and said that they believed corruption was acceptable, as long as they as individuals received a benefit from it. That response shocked me. Was this just the Thai Y- generation speaking ? How the hell can you beat an ingrained psych like that ? In the West we are taught from an early age that corruption stands alongside of criminality. Do the Thais understand this ? Being a long time observer, I still just don't know.

I recall reading that myself and I thought the main benefit Thais gained from corruption was the ability to buy their way out of trouble. Be it a traffic ticket or murder.