Sriracha wants 400K AND a Job for Non-O marriage extension

Hello,

My dear friend and neighbour went to the Sriracha Immigration Office to renew his one year extension based on marriage to a Thai girl.

Seems Sriracha has changed to rules (once again), as they now require 400K AND a Job.

Is ths a new rule in the Thai immigration laws?

I have to renew my own 1 year extension, based on marriage, in December.

I'm not working. Due to a history of illness, it's difficult for me to find a job here.

So my wife is taking care of the finances, while I take care of the house and raise my little nephew, who has been living with us since he was borne 4 years ago.

I do have the required 400K in my SCB account, but now this no longer seems to be enough to satisfy the immigration office.

Has any one else experienced the same when applying for a new extension?

My wife is scared they will kick me out of the country in a couple of months.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Best regards,

MotoGP

There is no such rule. Perhaps a misunderstanding of some kind.

All that is required is 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

That's what I thought as well.

My friend tells me there's a new boss at the Sriracha immigration office and he wants every farang to have a job / show proof of some monthly income, even if you have the 400K in a Thai bank.

The friendly lady who helped him with the application even apologized to him.

So what to do now?

Tell the Thai police how to do their job?

That should be fun :-)

It's not the first time they make trouble in Sriracha.

Couple of years ago we even had to go to Pattaya because they made up their own rules and refused to help us.

Turned out they were corrupt and where replaced.

Things improved after that, but I hope they won't go back to their old tricks.

So we are not looking forward to our next visit in December.

Any advice on what to do?

Edited by MotoGP

It maybe could be that the "Chief" want to see that the account your friend uses shows incoming and outgoing transactions ? (But again that's guessing)

Edit 1: If everything fails, your friend could get a Multiple Entry Non-O in Savannakhet (Laos).

Edited by MJCM

Over half the foreigners using Sri Racha immigration are Burmese. They even have Burmese volunteers doing a lot of the admin.

Are you quite sure this rule applies to Westerners only as you stated? And that it does not apply to Burmese? Or that it applies to both?

If I was denied and and lived as close to Bangkok as you do I would gather all my paperwork together and make a trip to immigration at Chaeng Wattana. I think you would get the extension or that new boss would be sorted out.

Just because he wants something does not mean that is what he gets when it comes to something as serious as denying an extension for no valid reason.

Perhaps that's a good idea yes.

Are you sure we can do it in BKK.

After 2 extensions in Pattaya, they told us we have to go back to Sriracha.

You mean Chaeng Wattana is the immigration HQ, right?

Honestly, going to the Sriracha immigration always causes a lot stress.

We always try to prepare ourselves as well as possible.

But they seem to make up new rules every year.

My friend and I are both from Europe so I don't know how things are for Birmese or people from other countries.

But I can imaging it must be even worse for them.

Thanks for the quick replies everybody

Much appricated.

wai2.gif

Contact the government hotline at 1111 and ask for advice. They will connect you with immigration and they will inquire with that immigration office and sort things out.

I really, really, would like to see the outcome of a non-Thai using the government hotline for something like this.

(No hidden agenda or cynicism from me on this, I'd genuinely be interested to read about the result.)

Only I can tell my experience when applying for my third time yearly extension feb this year married to Thai wife received call from immigration and ask wife questions and this include do I have job my wife explained that I'm seaman and worked on contract basis which means I go work when offered job the officer then said to wife good then I guess approved my yearly extension

how old is your friend and where does he get money from to live here, sounds like they are trying to ascertain if your friend has an income from outside Thailand and is not working here - bank statements from home country would likely sort this out

Yes, immigration's intention seems to be to get evidence that the applicant for extension of stay is not working illegally in Thailand. A savings account book in the applicant's name showing incoming remittances from abroad and local cash withdrawals should help in this regard.

In an earlier thread this year I referred to a conversation I was invited to in Sri Racha immigration (all friendly) during the course of extending my tourist visa from 60 to 90 days in which I was repeatedly asked if I was working in Thailand.

The officer asking me had no evidence to suggest this other than my age.

So, it appears as if this may be a priority for Sri Racha.

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently renewed my non O marriage extension at Sriracha with no problems, always found them very helpful there.

well you have not been helpful at all (no offence meant BTW)

Perhaps you could share some details about your own circumstances so we can line them up with the OP and see if it is relevant or not

I've recently renewed my non O marriage extension at Sriracha with no problems, always found them very helpful there.

Perhaps you could share some details about your own circumstances so we can line them up with the OP and see if it is relevant or not

Erm... Not quite sure what else I could have posted if I'm honest?

They gave me another extension on my non O based on marriage, without me needing to be employed.

Not too hard to work out is it, seeing as that's what the thread is all about.

Edited by villa82

They gave me another extension on my non O based on marriage, without me needing to be employed.

well actually Watson there could have been many relevant differences - age - retirement marriage children - based on income or funds in bank or both

an extension of stay can be based on many things

well actually Watson there could have been many relevant differences - age - retirement marriage children - based on income or funds in bank or both

an extension of stay can be based on many things

Not really Sherlock, it's the standard 400k in the bank and the correct forms filled in for a marriage extension. If I was on a retirement visa, I wouldn't have posted in this thread.

Contact the government hotline at 1111 and ask for advice. They will connect you with immigration and they will inquire with that immigration office and sort things out.

I really, really, would like to see the outcome of a non-Thai using the government hotline for something like this.

(No hidden agenda or cynicism from me on this, I'd genuinely be interested to read about the result.)

Me too!! But suspect risky due to all sorts of unknown connections and behind the scenes patronage. Would certainly recommend getting a bright, articulate Thai to do it on your behalf if you do. They would be better at reading nuances.

Would be very satisfying if the complainant succeeded.