Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand drop 10.28 percent

webfact

It is no longer the free wheeling happy go lucky place it used to be. The police up and own Sukhumvit both in and out of uniform. Random urine tests! Stall holders cleared of the streets like so much human rubbish. A massive amount of poor people, especially women, in dreadful inhuman prisons for petty offences. Massively wealthy individuals for whom there is no rule of law. A majority of oppressed fearful people for which the full weight of a military backed law machine is used to keep them uneducated, denied health care and denied justice. The world has been looking at Thailand since the Airport occupation and I must say this forum has done a lot to shed light not on amazing Thailand but on a sadly depressing thuggish Thailand. When we came here in the 60s it was especially for the weed. Then for women, partying and music in a relaxed atmosphere. It is not just that Thailand has changed for the worse- the world has tried to move on from petty neo fascism during a period of openness via modern media: Would I let my kids go to Thailand? No. The police and the absence of any rule of law combined with militantly corrupt politicians are more dangerous than any drugs, dangerous roads or foreign illnesses. Bangladesh is now marketing its self as Thailand is but the point is Thailand never used to need to markets itself. Its charm and genial corruption covered a myriad of sins. This is no longer the case.

Meanwhile Bangladesh gets about 35,000 tourists per year, and they are mostly Japanese tourists who come to visit the world's largest littoral swampland area. They have a little ways to go. While some of what you say is true, much of it is exaggerated. Thailand is still a very charming place. It has it's issues, and it will pay the price if these issues are not addressed. But, many of us still love living here, on a daily basis.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday - Tourist revenue barely changed year on year.

Today - Huge fall in tourist numbers.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I agree with the poster above about hotel prices. Most definetly up significantly in early 2015.

If this is their plan to weather the storm it won`t work and if reports today that Suthep and Prayuth have been incahoots to protect the backpacker killers on Koh Tao expect visitor numbers to fall further.

What reports are they? do you have a link?

Not one that will last more than ten minutes on this site sadly.(Coconuts and the Nation only I`m afraid)

Considering Suthep is the ultimate boss of Surat Thani, which includes Koh Tao, it`s hardly surprising he would want to protect one of his key lieutenants sons from life imprisonment. The fact Prayuth has willfully let this charade pass always suggested a link between the killers family and the very top of the Patronage system in Thailand, it seems Suthep is that link.

It's time they wake up. Remove all the criminals from the tourist industry. Nobody with a criminal record should be allowed to work in the tourist industry. There are plenty of honest Thais to do the work. Secondly, stop ALL the tourist scams that have been going on for so long.

Compare it to a restaurant. Continue to serve rotten food from a beautiful menu, and the only ones visiting your restaurant will be rats an cockroaches.

Once again, relying on Chinese tourists. Here's what I see living in Chiang Mai; they fly in on a Chinese aircraft, they walk to their hotel, they usually stay at the cheapest of places here, they walk to local tourist spots, they eat meals from 7-11 and some if any street vendors, they walk to the malls or lord forbid rent a scooter without a license. They walk around Airport mall with their luggage until time to walk back to the airport to catch their return flight on a Chinese aircraft. Now, how much money do these big spenders actually pump into Thailand?

The other day sitting in Black Canyon, I observed a family of 4 order two dishes shared between all of them and 4 cups of hot water, that they poured into their thermos containing their own tea leaves.

Keep on waiting for that Chinese gravy train Thailand.

Edited by nomad127
  • Like 2

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

I was wondering that myself. I booked 4 nights in Krabi for February, and it cost 3 times my monthly rate in Chiang Mai. Ah,...the things I do for romance.

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

Because they are using Thai-logic... When demand is low, then raise the prices to recover the lost revenue.

I still have so much too learn ;-)

Correction. UNLEARN!

This is Thailand... remember?

This is the dumbass business mentality,, the thinking is "if there are less people coming I need to charge more money to make up the revenue".

• Like 1

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

From what I have seen, KT is a perfect example of all the islands.

Rape, murder, violence, gang control and mafia.

paradise indeedblink.png

I was wondering that myself. I booked 4 nights in Krabi for February, and it cost 3 times my monthly rate in Chiang Mai. Ah,...the things I do for romance.

gawdddddddd.... dont tell the Wifelaugh.png

• Like 1

This is the dumbass business mentality,, the thinking is "if there are less people coming I need to charge more money to make up the revenue".

Yes, yes and yes! Just to add it also the same with a fair number of bars (like trying for a 500 baht bar fine! Yer what?) and some of these have already closed down (nothing new there then!). They never learn, although there are some notable exceptions who offer 2 for 1 or just have decent prices for booze and bar fines, free pool, etc.

This is border runs and a drop in the Chinese no cost tours.

Hardly real tourism or something that should be targetted anyway.

But, people say places seem empty. So is this even a real number?

The area I live in Phuket is very empty. I know it's not quite high season yet, but I haven't seen it this empty at this time of year, for a long while. I rode along Rawai bay the other morning and there was a bunch of about 30 tourists being loaded into two boats for a trip to the islands. The other 20 odd speedboats were just lined up along the beach doing nothing, as were long tail boats.

reap what you sow
how much of the beauty and soul of Thailand has been lost in the last 50 years?
do think really think "smiling" will get them by after the tourists and expats are mistreated, abused and murdered and they show the world ongoing civil unrest?
the famous Thai hospitality and respect for guests to their home and to the kingdom is largely gone and there are so many other places to visit or live

• Like 1

The area I live in Phuket is very empty. I know it's not quite high season yet, but I haven't seen it this empty at this time of year, for a long while. I rode along Rawai bay the other morning and there was a bunch of about 30 tourists being loaded into two boats for a trip to the islands. The other 20 odd speedboats were just lined up along the beach doing nothing, as were long tail boats.

That might be due to hits on the Russian economy.

• Like 1

The tourism minister, is the wife of one of the 1000 plus generals!

About 2,000 is apparently the official figure. The disproportionate higher ranks count in the Thai armed forces is apparently not based on jobs or need and is not restricted only to Generals. Every time someone in the Armed Forces used to do something of advantage to someone really important, they used to get a promotion. That way the person who benefited could show their appreciation but use their influence to make sure it was done with OPM (other peoples money) England has between 100 & 200 (about 120, I seem to remember) general officer level personnel in her entire armed forces with a population similar to Thailand. Hopefully if they can cut back on the corruption level in the country over time this disproportionate officer figure (not only generals) will slowly fade. But it will take a long time. I think that is one thing that the PM is probably well aware of but it will be difficult for him to do anything about, quickly.

reap what you sow

how much of the beauty and soul of Thailand has been lost in the last 50 years?

do think really think "smiling" will get them by after the tourists and expats are mistreated, abused and murdered and they show the world ongoing civil unrest?

the famous Thai hospitality and respect for guests to their home and to the kingdom is largely gone and there are so many other places to visit or live

kong kwian kam kwian - always a good thing to say to people to emphasise the 'reap what you sow' mentality.

• Like 1

Not difficult to understand why tourism is down when Thailand is the leader in so many ways over other SEA countries.

Nobody really cares about the government and martial law, but there are a few other reasons why tourist might go some other place.

1. Dirty beaches and water (except Manila's water front).

3. Over priced motorcycle taxis.

4. Muggings, robberies and murders of tourists.

5. Teenagers and man with guns, shooting in the streets.

6. HIV on the rise.

7. "Special pricing" for foreigners for goods, services, shows, parks and events.

8. "Special free tours" because some event or temple is "closed" today.

9. Overly aggressive katoeys on walkways and those looking to steal from foreigners.

10. Bar girls with the IQ and personality of a toad.

11. Police corruption and demanding money from foreigners.

12. Jet ski and motorcycle rental scams.

13. Dirty streets with garbage.

14. Trash and construction debris jumped in every open area.

15. Crazy drivers who don't have any knowledge of proper driving or consideration for anyone.

16. A Buddhist country where no one practicies the teachings of Buddha unless it is when they can personally gain from it.

17. The low class type of tourists that are currently being encouraged to visit Thailand discourages other tourists from coming.

18. Imcompetant leadership at TAT.

19. Raising prices when business is slow.

20. The friendly doormen and bouncers at night clubs who like to beat on foregners.

21. Thai men who would rather kill you than loose "face".

22. Yaba addicts everywhere.

23. And the list can just go on and on.

If that's the case, then justify your point by showing that none of the things you mentioned existed before this year. You can't do that, of course, because they did; and your reasoning is irrational. It is the martial law, plus the huge crackdown on visa runs. That is OBVIOUSLY the reason, as the number drops occurred as a direct result of making people feel unwelcome, imposing draconian restrictions everywhere, and refusing to let people in. To deny that, is illogical.

While you are correct in that the aforementioned dynamics existed prior to the downturn in tourism and subsequent economic collapse, the previously heightened media scrutiny brought about by the ill-advised unseating of a democratically elected government and pursuant coup, has now been greatly intensified by the revelations surrounding recent events in Koh Tao and other places here in LOS. All of which only serve to make this post more relevant. Many, many sordid things, though commonplace to us, are beginning to ooze out from beneath the carpet at a time when the world just happens to be paying attention. Add in the unprecedented degree of incompetence in positions that should be providing leadership and what you have are the makings of a perfect storm.

• Like 1

Funny it coincide with Sutherp Bangkok shutdown and the coup. Think there are some relationship.

I think that may have been said before by at least one person Eric. The problem is that government agencies in other countries produce warning lists which naturally put some people off if they have never been before & do not understand the Thai way of doing things. But Thailand will be a better place in the longer run if we have really got a shot at getting really rid of the influence for good of just one criminal family.

stupid post about "sex tourists" the girls call them "2 week millionaires" i bet they spend more in 2 weeks than most others would in one month, so fair play to them is say. and yes i do live here, ok

Yep without them the corruption, greed and cogs of amazing Thailand would not operate, we should all thank them greatly T_T

Of course numbers will be up in the 3rd Quarter! It's High Season and start of Peak Season in the beach destinations of the South. The real measure will be when arrivals for the November to April period are compared year on year. An due to increased tourist confidence (as if!!!!) will need to be balanced by ignorance of the changes or absence in what tourists had either previously experienced or were lead to believe they would find in brochures and promotional material, including that issued by TAT, that showed beaches with restaurants, dining with feet in the sand, sunbeds and umbrellas etc.. The true impact of that won't be revealed until bookings and arrivals for 2015/16 High Season. Lots of time for the Military Government and TAT to do things to restore, let alone increase, confidence or, of course, to make it worse! sad.png

Once again, relying on Chinese tourists. Here's what I see living in Chiang Mai; they fly in on a Chinese aircraft, they walk to their hotel, they usually stay at the cheapest of places here, they walk to local tourist spots, they eat meals from 7-11 and some if any street vendors, they walk to the malls or lord forbid rent a scooter without a license. They walk around Airport mall with their luggage until time to walk back to the airport to catch their return flight on a Chinese aircraft. Now, how much money do these big spenders actually pump into Thailand?

The other day sitting in Black Canyon, I observed a family of 4 order two dishes shared between all of them and 4 cups of hot water, that they poured into their thermos containing their own tea leaves.

Keep on waiting for that Chinese gravy train Thailand.

It's also good watching them negotiate with venders at the market. More often than not they walk away without buying because they insist on negotiating for the last baht of discount.

How many of that 10% were border runners?

Depends on how border runners were counted in the first place

Whoever they are and how many, they have an exaggerated sense of their importance to the economy. My guess less than 1%.

That might be due to hits on the Russian economy.

It might well be. Although those tourists I did see seemed to be predominantly Russian. But whether due to external factors or domestic Thai issues perceived as negative by potential visitors, the fact of the matter is that I would say there are 10% of the tourists that were here last year, not a 10% drop.

Don't start me off on Bangkok Airway's monopoly on routes to Samui. They broke even 11 years ago, but are still screwing visitors with their monopoly! Otherwise totally conflicting figures! By excluding the islands, figures are meaningless anyway, as Samui is the crown in Thailand's tourism effort!