Police officer fines Bangkok taxi drivers for refusing fare

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe it, people have the cheapest taxes in the World and still complaining. And it's so easy to simply ask the next taxi driver if the first does not want to go where you want to go.

I understand why taxis might not want to go to certain places and have no problem when they refuse [well, not quite true, I do curse under my breath as I walk away], but no problem with what this BIB did.

Taxis refusing customers are breaking the law and if they get caught then that's the price they pay.

• Like 1

Wow.....a cop doing his job....this guy'll be a superintendent soon!!

Sadly not - but he should be. I imagine he doesn't have millions of baht in the bank like all his bosses on the so-called reforming body.

Great cop. And there are quite a few, but they never get promoted up the ladder sadly as they don't play the game and funnel money upwards.

• Like 1

I have to say that since the junta or police (I can't remember which one) announced a few months ago that they would fine cabbies who refuse fares, I have not had a single taxi driver refuse me. I don't take a taxi often because I drive, but on those occasions when I know I'm going to Sukhumvit to drink from my home in Min Buri, not a single taxi driver has refused me. They've complained a bit on the way out telling me how far it is, but I've had no problems.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Now what the police need to do is continue to do this. First office fine. Second offense. Taxi license suspension for a month. 3rd Time Ban on driving a taxi.

This will quickly get the drivers into shape. Right now the rule is there but no taxi driver cares He pays a fine and continues to do the same thing Time and again

Hey everyone When you get a taxi driver refusing you get his taxi driver number on the dash board and report the jerk

• Like 2

This officer should be given a 10,000 baht reward for doing his job, and leading by example. Maybe some of the other officers will get the incentive to start "working" for a living. Bravo Pol. Sub. Lt. Meewichai Muangklang.

Never once in my working life did I get a reward for doing my job !

Well done Pol. Sub. Lt. Meewichai. A similar incident occurred at Mo Chit when a policeman intervened, when he noticed a young Thai guy failing to get a taxi to take him to his destination. Ended up with the cop threatening a taxi driver with a fine if he refused the fare, and ensuring that full details were exchanged just in case the taxi driver threw out the fare round the corner.

Need more like Pol. Sub. Lt. Meewichai.

• Like 1

And the pay rise they will be getting is supposed to change this? Fat hopes... these morons will just continue to do the same. I do think nine years is a long time to go on without a raise, but I wish there was a way to seperate the honest cabbies and give them what they truly deserve, while this rotten lot (who also prowl Suk 11) are left to rot on their own.

On another note, it is heartening, especially in the midst of all the negativities surrounding the RTP, that at least ONE officer is doing his job. Kudos to him and all the best. I hope to see more officers like him around.

Happened me from new airport trying to get to mo chit bus station ,went up a floor and grabbed a cab dropping off.

Got a few feet asked for the metre and was showed a chart saying mo chit 1500bt...told him to stop and couldn't get his number as he had it covered over..

The fare in another metre taxi was just over 300bt including tollway..

These money grabbing scum make me so angry..delighted the cops are doing something about them.

Hope it continues...

• Like 2

Is it the polices job to fine taxi drivers for refusing a fare ? Surely a taxi driver has the right to say who he wants in his car ? Is it against the law to refuse a fair ? In UK there are ways to report a taxi if you think hes not doing his job ect dont they have anything like that here?

Normally we have to try up to 10 taxis to get a "Yes" from Sukhumvit to Chaeng Wattana.

Almost never happens to me for exactly the same journey.

The trick is: enter the vehicle, be seated, close the door and THEN state your destination.

Happened me from new airport trying to get to mo chit bus station ,went up a floor and grabbed a cab dropping off.

Got a few feet asked for the metre and was showed a chart saying mo chit 1500bt...told him to stop and couldn't get his number as he had it covered over..

The fare in another metre taxi was just over 300bt including tollway..

These money grabbing scum make me so angry..delighted the cops are doing something about them.

Hope it continues...

this taxi driver was trying to rip you off I agree BIB should do something, but the op is about a taxi been fined for refusing a fare, I dont see that as a crime only a loss of earnings for the driver.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to me at MBK last weekend, same place where that cop is in the picture. They only wanted no meter or trips with no traffic.

I've never had a problem with cabs in Bangkok, then again I know what the fare should be so if for example at MBK they want to go without the meter I just tell them a price that is slightly more than the fare should be.

Usually they agree, perhaps because they realise I'm not a tourist (speak in Thai etc). When they get me where I want to go I give them an extra 20-40 baht as a tip to show them that being nice gets them a reward.

Cabs are cheap anyway and my time is more valuable.

Normally we have to try up to 10 taxis to get a "Yes" from Sukhumvit to Chaeng Wattana.

Almost never happens to me for exactly the same journey.

The trick is: enter the vehicle, be seated, close the door and THEN state your destination.

Grabtaxi also vet their drivers and are grateful for feedback. Also worth B25...along with seat-belts in 90% of cars I've used so far.

• Like 2