Pattaya to be rebranded as World sport destination

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange, there's a huge sports centre in Phuket attached to the Phuket International School which is supposed to be targeted as the best sports centre in Asia too, I wonder if she realises this? I worry about this lady somewhat. She also seems to think she's the transport minister too with her planning bicycle lanes... But Pattaya? You can't polish a turd..

Pattaya to become world-class sports Tourism destination

10-15-2014-11-05-31-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government plans to upgrade and promote Pattaya, a popular beach resort, as a world-class sports destination instead of just nightlife, according to Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul.

She said Pattaya is not only a well-known tourism destination among foreign travelers and expatriates, but is also developing its internal transport system and landscape.

She said the ministry is confident if the government succeeds in upgrading the city as a world-class sports tourism destination, it will help improve Pattaya’s image from just a nightlife destination.”

Ms Kobkarn said the ministry and related organisations were studying the feasibility of the upgrade, particularly for marine sports, with the ministry to spearhead the development along with cooperation from other relevant public and private organisations, local communities and provincial administration.

For the upcoming New Year celebrations, she said the ministry planned to add more countdown points in Bangkok and the provinces to boost tourism during the long New Year’s weekend.

She didn’t elaborate as details have yet to be discussed.

The ministry’s figures revealed that as a result of political uncertainty and the global economic downturn, the number of international tourist arrivals dropped by 10.28% during the first nine months to 17.558 million, with tourism income falling by 7.55% to 806.613 billion baht.

Arrivals from East Asia saw the biggest decline, falling 15.68% for the period to 10.195 million, with visitors from South Asia down 11.18% to 895,018 and the Middle East down 8.73% to 434,461 visitors.

Arrivals from the Americas fell by 4.34% to 788,825, while Europe and Africa showed positive growth of 2.37% to 4.414 million visitors, and 4.49% to 117,951 visitors, respectively.

In 2013, total international arrivals stood at 26.7 million, rising 19% from a year earlier.

The ministry targeted tourism revenue of 2 trillion baht from 25.5 million arrivals this year. Next year the aim is revenue of 2.2 trillion baht.

Based on a recent roadmap, the ministry plans to promote 12 secondary tourism sites including Lampang, Phetchabun, Buri Ram, Chanthaburi and Trat. It also plans to revamp three major islands — Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Koh Phangan — as “green islands” by limiting party times and preventing drink-driving. The move follows the recent murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao.

Ms Kobkarn also pledged to strengthen cooperation between tourism agencies, operators and local communities in order to develop sustainable tourism. All parties in the sector including local communities must understand the real value of tourism — that it generates huge revenue for the country while distributing income to local people.

The World Tourism Organization listed Thailand in the top 10 of global tourism destinations by arrivals in 2012 and 2013, with international arrivals of 22.4 million and 26.5 million, respectively. The country ranked seventh in tourism destinations by revenue, hitting US$33.8 billion and $42 billion in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pattaya-become-world-class-sports-tourism-destination/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-15

It is not rocket science that making a transition from a third world country (typified by corruption and poor people) to a more developed country is a long term evolution. It is certainly happening here as the increase of the capital base (and the introduction and enforcement of the laws we 'had to have' in other countries) is occurring here.

Of course transforming Pattaya is more than an Olympic effort, it is the last place I would consider living but it is in essence a good idea and one that deserves some positive reinforcement for the longer term.

It is worth trying to think about the longer term instead of the black and white short term that finishes at the end of the next beer.

World Sport Destination to the New Found Farang Sport yes - Ting Tong Balcony Jumping.

Come to Pattaya, loose your hard earned money to Card Skimming, Ladyboys robbing you, and to your NEW FOUND LOVE who wanted to be "rescued" from the bar scene, but needed your financial support to be able to do so, so you guys could live happily ever after... Just to wake up one morning and "Smell the Coffee" cheesy.gif completely broke and "No More Honey"

Oh well, it's not all that bad is it. I will just Through Myself off the Balcony......whistling.gifw00t.gif

This New Sport should be entered into the Olympic Games

We are masters of the universe. What we say, happens. This is the Thai version of Field of Dreams. Build it, and they will come. Lets put up a stadium, and call this the world center of sport. If we say so, they will believe.

I would say they would have a better chance of making a sport out of the bar industry. Who is the newest gal who gets to 1,000 customers first? What is the highest rate of satisfaction amongst customers for any specific bar? What go go girls make over 1,000 baht per night in tips? You could cal it the pattaya sex a thon. Or the P Town Players Assn. The possibilities are endless. And more likely than turning Pattaya into some kind of sporting paradise.

Bike lanes? As in lanes that scooters and trucks won't just nudge into to create an extra lane of traffic?

HAHA Right.

Listen, just brand Thailand for what it is. A resort destination. Then do what it takes to clean up the corruption (including police shakedowns, jetski scams, and taxi mafia problems), regulate the natural beauty Thailand was blessed with to control pollution and overcrowding, and improve police training and promote honest cops to stop debacles like the Koh Tao investigation.

• Like 1

HAHAHA! This has to be the funniest thread in a long time (I love this thread long-time also smile.png ). I could hit the LIKE button on just about every post!

Damned near every day is April 1st in Thailand.

They should make Thailand "The Hub of April 1st" !!! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

Why not just leave it as it was as it was doimg really well.

Just a party town.

They failed at making it family destination, now they want to try another nonsense.

They should learn from Honda , do not change what works .

My wife's Honda stopped working so she changed it for a Mazda.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The bicycle lanes would be built with a budget of the Department of Physical Education; however, the best location of bicycle lanes will be discussed with local residents and provincial chambers of commerce before the construction starts.

That's rich.

Clear the sidewalks first!

Yes, it would be nice to have someplace to walk on, when going down the street.

It's obvious the locals don't think we should wish to walk anywhere,

as it takes away revenue from the Taxis and Tuk Tuk,

but we weren't raised in our home country to drive to everyplace we go,

especially when it's within 1km to our destination.

So cleared sidewalks would be cherished,

and safe passage enjoyed by all.

When I first arrived, I came with roller blades in tow,

not knowing it would be near impossible to find anywhere smooth enough to ride,

and when I did, the Taxis kept stopping in front of me,

asking if I wish for a ride.

• Like 2

I know of several large academic conferences held in Pattaya. It seemed to be trying to establish itself as a conference venue.

The conferences I know were very successful, but some of the delegates got a bit of a shock wondering around after dinner!

Wondering why they chose Pattaya?

Probably because of the large number of golf courses nearby - and that is why they were successful.

Most people I know go to conferences to get away from work and have a good time and then claim it as a tax deduction.

You can play golf at night in Pattaya?