Murders on Koh Tao: UK, Myanmar 'can observe'

webfact

Police to examine DNA and duress claims in Thai case

British detectives travelling to investigate the backpacker murders in Thailand are expected to focus on independent checks of DNA samples central to the case against two Burmese men accused of the crime and their claims to have been mistreated.

Diplomatic sources said Thailand's military ruler accepted the sending of a delegation to investigate the killing of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller when pressed on the issue by David Cameron during their summit meeting.

Obviously it is for the Thai authorities to lead and carry out that judicial process. But it is important that it is fair and transparent and that both of the families can be reassured that it is the murderers that have been brought to justice.

There are two areas we are particularly concerned about. One is the verification of the DNA samples of the suspects, making sure there is further independent verification. And the second is the investigation into allegations of mistreatment of the suspects. What the PM secured this morning was agreement from the Thai PM that we can send some British police investigators to Kho Tao to work with the Royal Thai Police on this.

– DIPLOMATIC SOURCE

i would like to see the face of that police head right now..Somyot or whatever is the name

"Foreign countries are not permitted to have investigators look into crimes that occur in Thailand, as that would be considered a violation of the country's sovereignty, Police chief Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang said yesterday. "

It can be argued but,

David Cameron is one of the most powerful people in the world,

the PM had to be hit squarely in the face by Cameron, without the need for soft pedaling diplomatic speak,

and this PM had to be 100000000% blind sided by the fact that one of the leaders of the most powerful countries,

has sent him home, with his tail between his legs, over the coverup of two murders where he accused the victim of causing it, by wearing a bikini

if he doesnt get to work on this and bring the real killers to justice fast, the manner of which he can expect to be received "next time"

will be by a low level employee

it will be face to as-s real quick

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the timing I like

No 10 already knew a petition close to or more than 100k was being delivered on friday, at the same time Cameron is in Milan rolleyes.gif

Cameron would have an opportunity to directly meet with the Thai PM or get word to him for a chat.

A suggestion of being grateful if invited to help nudge nudge ... Image and all that, tourism, Junta, trade sanctions EU investment, recognition of legitimacy atm being an issue etc.

The smartest thing the Thai PM could do is get approval or a good word from the British Gov or better still Cameron himself.

This is a perfect opportunity and im sure it may have been indicated and one the UK would be likely to table imo

Good for Thailand and its PM's International image to allow the UK to help id say.

Most of all good for the families of David and Hannah thumbsup.gif

it is also possible that the PM needed someone from the outside to force his hand,

if he is a truly moral person, and he surely has asked to be accepted as such,

he can now go back to his country, and begin to cut off some heads

those heads would only destroy his country further anyway

Through all this I don't understand one thing.

Why would 2 Burmese admit to a killing?

Sorry, but to me they do not look tortured at all.

If they were paid off (or their families) then it says a lot about their credibility.

Why the hell would you admit to a murder if you didn't do it? Who does that?

You or I would admit murder or incest or whatever, if enough effective torture was administered. Add to that: the Burmese didn't know their rights and had already admitted they were in Thailand working illegally. Until the Burmese had lawyers, it was those 2 small young men vs. the concerted weight of Thai officialdom. Did you see the photo of the accused with 20 police brass standing within punching distance of them - all grimmacing with teeth clenched and hands held in fists? Did you see any of the other photos of the two young men being physically and verbally micro-directed by a score of top brass cops for the ridiculous 'reenactment?'

The brits are here. The burms are here. The truth has many eyes now.

There are many police who want this cleared too.

Stop complaining and give them all a chance. There comes a time when one must accept.

'The Brits are here' is supposed to instill confidence? Where were the Brits when Hong Kong was being handed over to China. By treaty, HK (the region southward from Boundary Road) should have stayed within the Commonwealth but the 'Pewter Lady' Marge Thatcher didn't hang tough.

RE; Ko Tao: if it comes down to hanging tough to see that justice is done verses allowing Thai officialdom to frame the Burmese men, Brit authorities will choose the latter. Diplomacy and 'not embarrassing one's host is more important than sticking up for justice.'

One end result: the true murderers/rapists will continue to hang out and party with our sisters and daughters.

She'd have hang really tough, she left office in 1990 and Hong Kong wasn't handed over until 97.

Negotiations took place from ten years prior to the hand-over. She was captain of the British team and she kicked an 'own-goal.' Like it or lump it. Many Hong Kongers (who couldn't flee to another country) are currently lumping it, as will their kids and grandkids. Ms Thatcher didn't have the personal fortitude to hang on the the colony.
  • Like 1

Wait until the UK reporters get a look at this

You don't need DNA to prove who this is,

the mystery man who "allegedly" wasn't on the island that night,

CSI LA has broken this case wide open

good thing they didnt kill those two innocent boys yet

You must be joking right ? Do you believe everything you see without questioning it?

I have already explained it to you , this is not evidence at all. Its a photoshop that could be done with any asian boy with that haircut.

I don't think it is a joke at all. It is certainly not conclusive evidence but the resemblance is very close. It is not just the nose they have superimposed, check out the ear orientation and appearance, haircut and shape of the head. It doesn't mean they are 100% the same people but it certainly should raise enough concern to require a deeper investigation than already done which is precious little. In fact there has been more excuses as to why this prime suspect has not been investigated than there has been any police work done to check out his feeble story.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Hello Mr. English investigator,

You can look over my shoulder. You can even ask questions, but most of the time my answers will be, "We already have the data." or "we already thought of that." So, don't embarrass us with your Sherlock Holmes silliness, and all will be fine,

thank you,

Mr. Police Chief.

P.S. The PM agrees with everything I say and do, so that should be enough for you to circumvent the yukky details of the case, all of which we have covered.

You can look over my shoulder. You can even ask questions, but most of the time my answers will be, "We already have the data." or "we already thought of that." So, don't embarrass us with your Sherlock Holmes silliness, and all will be fine,

thank you,

Mr. Police Chief.

P.S. The PM agrees with everything I say and do, so that should be enough for you to circumvent the yukky details of the case, all of which we have covered.

Obviously you don't understand British tarnasity, WE are still catching criminals from 45/50 years ago.

thank you,

Mr. Police Chief.

Obviously you don't understand British tarnasity, WE are still catching criminals from 45/50 years ago.

"tarnacity"? Surely you mean "tenacity"! And "criminals" from 45/50 years ago like DJ's who fondled a boob? And at what cost to the taxpayer? However, I agree with the tarnacity/tenacity thing - just wish they'd get their priorities right a bit more often!

thank you,

Mr. Police Chief.

There is no chance of stone walling the Scotland Yard detectives if the PM ever wants to address any EU Nation in the future,

his appearances will be dead on arrival as, I didn't see any foreign representative appearing with the PM other than someone's accidental photo,

and I didnt see any foreign nation saying they welcomed the Thailand PM and were happy he attended,

on the contrary, this didnt appear to be successful at all for Thailand when the only thing reported was from the parents of the murdered and David Camerons near outrage at the way the non-investigation was handled,

unless I missed something?

thank you,

Mr. Police Chief.

There is no chance of stone walling the Scotland Yard detectives if the PM ever wants to address any EU Nation in the future,

his appearances will be dead on arrival as, I didn't see any foreign representative appearing with the PM other than someone's accidental photo,

and I didnt see any foreign nation saying they welcomed the Thailand PM and were happy he attended,

on the contrary, this didnt appear to be successful at all for Thailand when the only thing reported was from the parents of the murdered and David Camerons near outrage at the way the non-investigation was handled,

You missed a lot.

I have a feeling that the PM is at war with a large section of the police but it can't be a public war for whatever face saving reasons that apply.

It remains to be seen how this situation turns out and I will reserve all judgement until we see the outcome.

The police have gone charging in, all the PM can do is publicly back them up. If some new proof materialises than he and everyone else will be forced to accept this.

For all we know this could be his plan. People make plans many moves ahead of where we are right now. Time will tell.

thank you,

Mr. Police Chief.

You missed a lot.

Just the plain, in your face fact that a month ago, the thought of getting Scotland Yard detectives involved in the case,

and to have them shoved down the throats of the Thai leaders,

where all the while they were rubbing everyone's noses is their faces that Thailands investigation and solving of the murder rape brutal bludgeoning, was "perfect" was "worthy of a reward"

and the fact that every objective person who looks at this case sees two young kids who were sleeping when the crime occured,

says,

I missed nothing

the PM stuck his foot in deep manure when he laughed about the girl wearing a bikini

he set off a wave of anger, and, its effects were felt when he was "hammered" by David Cameron

you must have missed it

Edited by SteveFong