Foreign National seriously hurt in motorbike crash in Central Pattaya

webfact

Foreign National seriously hurt in motorbike crash in Central Pattaya

crash-11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A foreign national, whose name, nationality or age is unknown, was involved in a single-vehicle road crash in Central Pattaya in the early hours of Monday.

The crash took place on Pattaya Second Road, opposite the entrance to Soi 9, where the road has recently been re-tarmacked. The man was driving a Honda CBR 250 and was seen to be driving at a high rate of speed when he appeared to lose control. The bike first hit a parked motorbike with sidecar and then hit the curb.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/150269/foreign-national-seriously-hurt-in-motorbike-crash-in-central-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-10-15

The impact must have knocked his helmet off ?

I am surprised the knees on his pants have not even been worn through.

No immediate signs of serious road rash or compound fractures or limbs twisted halfway around, although his right shoulder and arm looks slightly out of whack (but they would never rolled him on his right side if there was injury there). Not even much sign of blood loss on sidewalk in the several minutes it took medics to respond.

If he had been wearing a bucket, he might have actually escaped serious injury.

Now...not so lucky.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

Do "quality tourists" wear helmets?

Lets see:

Quality = Successful = Intelligent = Helmets

In fact, many quality tourists would take it one step further and be smart enough to not rent a motorcycle.

Who said he was a tourist, who said the bike was a rental?

Strange country, rental bike, booze and fast speed....what could go wrong?

you are so right, I have owned a large bike for almost 9 years here in Thailand - a bike that has a top speed of almost 190mph - most of my drinking friends have never seen it, it stays at home when I go for a session

Transportation is generally cheap and convenient in Pattaya - no body should be drunk driving

• Like 1

Is it just me, or are things getting worse in sunny Pattaya ( I know it's the cesspit of the planet) .

Nearly hit a couple of youngs guy yesterday afternoon- no helmets - weaving in and of the traffic, cut in front of my car as I was turning- an inch away.

There seems to be little risk assessment, or any understanding of consequences of your actions which can kill you or change your life for ever.

Maybe I'm just getting old and very risk averse these days.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or are things getting worse in sunny Pattaya ( I know it's the cesspit of the planet) .

Nearly hit a couple of youngs guy yesterday afternoon- no helmets - weaving in and of the traffic, cut in front of my car as I was turning- an inch away.

There seems to be little risk assessment, or any understanding of consequences of your actions which can kill you or change your life for ever.

Bet they were the same idiots who nearly hit me ,but mine were a pair of tourists ,

It's not just you…things are getting worse in Pattaya.

Just came back home to Chiang Mai after a week in Pattaya. Had a motorbike and spent everyday dodging all kinds of bad drivers and clueless pedestrians. It seems that no rules apply to driving there…just go where you want and as fast as you want without any regard for others.

Compared to Pattaya, Chiang Mai feels like a driver's safety course.

I am very familiar with that section of road now under construction, it was NOT clearly cordoned off or marked as very dangerous which it was with extreme buckling and washboarding.

As someone who is very familiar with the condition of the road and speed of the resurfacing project, do you really think that anyone needs cordons or signage to tell them that anything above 20 kph is quite perilous? OK, so maybe this guy just stepped off the plane earlier in the day but you just need to OBSERVE the speed of traffic around you and OBSERVE the road surface ahead of you to see that it is dangerous to speed.

All traffic has been creeping along for many weeks now although unfortunately a 'fast lane' appears to have developed on the east side. I quite enjoyed the drive when it was totally rough as nobody could go faster than 20 kph and crossing the street was a dawdle. Notably there was less gridlock that is caused by prats that dodge and weave from lane to lane thinking they are getting somewhere faster than everyone else.

Edited by NanLaew

Fact: right now, you shouldn't ride the 2nd road faster then 20-30km/h. After a ride for 100 meters, everyone should recognize it. Even then, if there is no warn-sign.

I saw some photos from his injuries which i cant post here. It looks quite serious. Ouch...

Guys, use some common sense. Drive slowly and defensive. Wear a helmet and be special cautious when the streets are wet. Don't jump on a red light. Use your light-indicator and your mirrors.

It isn't so hard to do a save ride here, but please, use some common sense.

Edited by alocacoc

Even driving a safe, late-model car in Thailand is too much for me. If you can't afford to hire a real taxi, your destination is not worth the travel.

So you assume that someone who drive his own motorcycle can not effort a taxi? That's nonsense. I love to drive with my bike. Every day. It gives me a feel of freedom. It's a part of the lifestyle i appreciate here in Thailand.

But well, if you overwhelmed to do it so, just take a taxi and you are fine.

Edited by alocacoc

2nd road seemed almost finished today (between Pattaya Tai and Klang) - but as mentioned, I think, there are really deep sink holes where the drains are - watch the vehicles bounce up and down, or swerve to avoid, especially at the Klang end!

I just clocked up 50 (legal) years as a biker and ridden most of Europe (including islands) and the US, but no way would I get a bike in a major Thai city. I see bikes on their side nearly every day and have witnessed quite a lot of accidents. The attitude to riding safely and sensibly is non existent (not to mention the lunatic motorcycle taxis that some idiot farangs try to copy!).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He probably encountered one of the many catch basins that are now in a 4 inch depression following the repaving of 2nd Road and lost control. They are accidents waiting to happen and a huge hazard to anyone especially on a motorbike travelling fast. Far too much bitumen spread over the road !

You would think that the road workers could have put a "tree branch" in the depressions... to warn motorists of the obstacle.......as is the "norm" here whistling.gif

Even driving a safe, late-model car in Thailand is too much for me. If you can't afford to hire a real taxi, your destination is not worth the travel.

Are you serious? I can drive safer than 99% of taxi drivers. Just cos your too old or too scared to drive does not make taxis safer for other people.

• Like 1