PM Prayut wants quality tourists to visit Thailand

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was thinking more along the lines of ones who don't rob, assault, swindle, rape or in one way or another prey upon tourists.

Then he should get our more as the overwhelming vast majority of Thais, just like most places, don't fit into this category. If you read news here like you have never read news before then I can see how one might ignorantly believe the incidents talked about in the news are representative of a significant portion of the population --- instead of understand things generally make the news because they are not common.

But suggest those looking for a clean, law abiding society then they go to Singapore. Kind of shocking that folks go to a less developed country and expect first world standards. It is like thinking that there should be cheap red-light districts and poor enough women who are willing to be with men three times their age and five times their body weight but that everything else should be just like home ... just not a realistic view.

Equally so it was wrong to assume that tourists who are not wealthy come here just looking for drink and sex.

Sometimes people end up in less high end accommodation because that is what they can afford. They still have the right to a holiday and should not be barred on the grounds of wealth.

Agree -- was kind of the point I was trying to make ... easy to generalize and stereotype.

• Like 2

A quality tourist is clearly one who has purchased a 'Thailand Elite' Card ! wink.png

The PM should realise that Thailand is, and has been for many years, a backpacker/down-market tourist-destination, and that there is nothing wrong with that ! rolleyes.gif

Just thinking about Koh Tao was this place promoted in an underground way as a drug centre where you could get anything you want. Yeah? Hmm a quality destination.

So assuming young fun loving people who would like to sample Koh Taos wares, are not considered quality tourists. This will have significant financial impact on the knobs on the hill, I can hear them calling the PM now.

Not that this quality tourist stuff is going to be rolled out any time soon or ever for that matter.

Entry denied, quality status not approved.

The first time they do this & it gets reported in international press, arrivals will drop by 30%

Will travel agents around the world start advising their clients to arrive here looking ' quality ' so wear designer clothes, have designer luggage and confirmed accommodation in an up market hotel / resort ?

Next part of the conversation will be possibly be about alternative destinations.

tsk tsk tsk Those quality tourists are expected to shop for those quality labels in Thailands own stores and surplus outlets, not already bring the stuff along....

How about quality for tourist walking,...who are continually endangered by being forced into moving traffic because of motor bikes and vehicles parked on sidewalks. Thailand does not even have a PEDESTRIAN ENDANGERMENT FINE.

This is actually something they are addressing and is a big complaint I have too. Just so difficult to go for a walk in the city without having to go to a park.

Have you been down Sukhumvit lately? They had all the shops rip up the steps and stoops they built in front of their shops that encroached into the public walkway. They also have enforced restrictions on when the vendors can sell. Day time walking now is so much better.

It is a start but they need to also need to do this on the other roads, especially the smaller Sois were you can literally see that most building owners have just built right out onto where the walkway was.

They also have cleaned up beaches and forced out those illegal structures on the public beach.

I don't want things to be perfect and organized as Thailand would lose it;s charm but I do think there is a compromise. Walking on Sukhumvit in the daytime is completely different than in the evening and then also completely different in the late / early morning hours.

I see a lot of good the current government is doing, I just hope they don't go to far but then again they still have a lot to do to find the right balance.

A bigger or more specific issue I have is motorbikes on the sidewalk. I'd also like to see a public awareness campaign that people should walk to the left (same as cars) ... these things I don't believe add the Thai charm ... cheap and smokey food stands you sometimes have to walk around, while frustrating would not want to see them go away.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 2

I have just read that TAT has been recruited to run an advertising campaign to attract quality tourists to Ting " Tongland " complete with free promotional T shirt.

The slogan is to be Tongs Ya Bass.I can see it as a raging success as there are many similarities between Tongland and Pattaya.

post-209519-0-25880900-1413343109_thumb.

post-209519-0-38850800-1413343145_thumb.

What means quality? Like Pattaya? Yes you are right Supreme Good PM General, your latest declarations clearly demonstrate that you care for tourists and their safety, that you effectively fight against incompetence and corruption. Make sure that everywhere in Thailand tourists are warmly welcome like in Pattaya, then you will reach your target of quality. You are such a role model for us all, protecting business before all.

Quality Thailand for quality tourists.

Edited by toonsai

Simple really

Every entrant to LOS is required, at immigration, to open a bank account, with a 'tourist' debit card, and deposit

50,000 Baht per 14 day stay. No cash withdrawals are allowed. All purchases must be made on the card. Then it will beclear the money was spent in 'quality' establishments, not noodle stalls and belles de nuit. If, on departure, the bank account is still in credit-the money is forfeited. A variation on the old 'Myanmar' 'arrangement'.

I think I might be a "quality tourist" on all the times I visit Thailand ( refer to my post yesterday in the Bangkok airport forum )

I don't hang out in any bars or gogo joints when I am there I most times have hired a car and I travel around to other places mostly in esan.

trouble is how the hell am I going to prove what I do and don't do when I get screened on my arrival at the end of this month. ?

I have never been to Cambodia or other nearby countries but maybe this is the time I consider broadening my horizons for alternative destinations.

THANK YOU MR GENERAL PM. you are making my decision easier by the day.

A quality tourist accepts their murder quietly and quickly and has no friends or family to question their so called "suicide"

A quality tourist pays their fees quietly to police or government officials and then shuts up about it.

A quality tourist notices the scams and graft and corruption around him but says nothing about it.

A quality tourist accepts the lies of thai officials without question, just like the "good" thais do.

A quality tourist pays even though they know they are getting screwed.

The ultimate quality tourist just stays home and bank transfers money directly to government officials including an estimated amount for airfare and lodgings.

• Like 2

Everyone wants quality....on both sides.

Quality security and fair play will bring the quality tourist.

The first step must be taken.

Ridiculous. Quality tourists do not stay away due to any security issue.

They stay away because there are better destinations for quality tourists to visit. Countries that are less commercially developed, have cleaner beaches, have cleaner city sidewalks, have less touts, offer safe activities for their children, offer more activities like golfing and sport-fishing, etc..

And less of a reputation as ground zero for sexual exploitation.

Thailand's tourism future is going to be Chinese (who are not bothered by heavy pollution) and Russian (who are bothered by neither pollution or corruption) and 20-something backpackers ( who are too drugged up to be bothered about much anything--even the need to use soap).

Cheers

Are you sure there's Russian tourists still coming here? There seem to be a good few places in the south with close to zero bookings from Putin's lot.

• Like 1

Judging by recent arrival of new blathering stumble bum drunks in Jomtien, I'd have to say they have quality. Low quality, but hey, that's a quality....

You are right two low quality now come high. We need high quality maybe a test given at the airports are needed. Also make sure they carrying at 5,000 US dollars per person