Totally lost with visa regulations! Need experts!

Hi,

My name is Jeremie, I'm French, and like all of you I love Thailand.

I've been looking for informations verywhere but I found conflicting informations. Looks like no one really knows!

Here is the thing: I've just finished a 6months internship in Thailand and i went back to France for 3 weeks. I plan to go back to thailand the 26th of this month and I stay 3months in Thailand for Tourism.

I've asked for a Tourism Visa to the thai embassy in Paris and they said there was a minimun delay to respect between my last stay in thailand and the new one. The person I had on the phone said something like 3months of more (she was not sure). I understood that I couldn't get a visa with this embassy. Some people around me advised me then to go to Thailand withtout Visa (one month allowed) and then to leave the country, go to Laos or Cambodia and ask for a Tourism Visa there. My question is the following: do they also respect the "3 or 4 months delay between 2 stays" rule? Is there any rule? And how about "in the field": these rules are set up in Laos and Cambodia? Do I have to worry or not?

Thank you so much for you answers and your help..!!

Jeremie

• Like 1

You can come back to Thailand at anytime. Before the 30 days visa exempt are gone you will either get them extended for 30 days at immigration cost bt 1,900, or go get a tourist visa in e.g. Laos.

In order to board you flight without a visa you will need to take precautions as explained here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

The Thai Embassy in Paris is a known source of many problems for people in the area.

I suggest you come on a 30 day visa on arrival and extend by 30 days then do a visa run and get a tourist visa.

Another idea would be to see if Air France still do their 2 or 3 times a week flights to Phnom Penh, you could fly there and get a visa on the way.

I have been staying in Los for 13 months on tourist visas .

I returned to the uk for 3 weeks and whilst I was there I went to Hull and got a triple entry tourist visa without any problems and also had no problems re entering Los at bkk on 13/10/2014.

What did surprise me was I met another expat on my return flight who says he has lived here for 12 years on visa exempt !

I asked if he had a return flight as I doubted he would be allowed on the airplane to which he said yes this was his return flight to bkk , no return flight to uk though !

He works offshore 1 month on 1 month off and says that's why he's never obtained a visa but I was still amazed after arriving in bkk having changed aircraft 3 times he had no problems getting 30 day exempt again and was not challenged on any of the flights

• Like 1

Any people had experience at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur trying to get tourist visa? I called ahead to ask what I need to get just a single entry. They said completed application form, fee, and photo. I ask are they sure thats all. Yes. I ask a second time, sorry but are you really sure? Of course sir don't worry.

When I go with those things, they accept my application at the window. My US passport has no Thai stamps in it whatsoever. After 20 minutes they called me back to the window and said they want a bank statement. They were not clear what they are even looking for on the statement and I had no extra time to return with it anyway. Is it they just want to see a reasonable stream of outside income or minimum of $1000 balance ot what? They ask for the statement but don't say what they want to see.

What is going on? Could it be that since the application form asks if I had been to Thailand before, and I had (just not with that passport as it was newly issued), that they either decided to ask for the bank details because they see I have visited before or could it be that they ran my name and birthday through the computer and seen that I visited many times before?

Funny. I come to Thailand for meditation and buddhism all paid for with my own cash from outside the country. Have never worked illegally or overstayed. But unles I want to become a monk, which i dont, there is no visa category for what I am doing. Is there really a "time limit" on how long someone can stay for meditation purposes?

Has anyone ever asked why many Thai embassies are so difficult with tourist visas but that in Laos it is so much easier? Could it be that getting most long stayers to apply in one place (I suppose two if including the office in Savannakhet) allows them to moniter many of the long stayers more closely and easily? Just a thought.

If you answered the question "Have you ever been too Thailand before" with the answer No, just because you were carrying a new passport with no Thailand stamps in it, then you made a big mistake. A simple check will show them that you have travelled here before and telling lies to immigration is not clever!

If you answered the question "Have you ever been too Thailand before" with the answer No, just because you were carrying a new passport with no Thailand stamps in it, then you made a big mistake. A simple check will show them that you have travelled here before and telling lies to immigration is not clever!

I answered yes. Never have lied to immigration or an embassy worker.

Edited by tonybemv

Your post about getting a tourist visa in KL is typical for there.

They are inconsistent with their requirements. That is why I don't recommend going there for a visa.

There have been several reports of them wanting financial proof. You are lucky they accepted what you had.

Your post about getting a tourist visa in KL is typical for there.

They are inconsistent with their requirements. That is why I don't recommend going there for a visa.

There have been several reports of them wanting financial proof. You are lucky they accepted what you had.

what i had was accepted for about 20 minutes. same result, no visa. no problem. means i wont be joining my friends for kiteboarding this week in rayong.

I returned to the uk for 3 weeks and whilst I was there I went to Hull and got a triple entry tourist visa without any problems and also had no problems re entering Los at bkk on 13/10/2014.

What did surprise me was I met another expat on my return flight who says he has lived here for 12 years on visa exempt !

I asked if he had a return flight as I doubted he would be allowed on the airplane to which he said yes this was his return flight to bkk , no return flight to uk though !

He works offshore 1 month on 1 month off and says that's why he's never obtained a visa but I was still amazed after arriving in bkk having changed aircraft 3 times he had no problems getting 30 day exempt again and was not challenged on any of the flights

Rumbo can I ask what is the validity of your "triple entry visa" ?? What's it's expiry date

Rumbo can I ask what is the validity of your "triple entry visa" ?? What's it's expiry date

It is 3 60 day tourist entry visa valid until 05/04/2015

By the time it expires I will be 50 and hope to get a non o visa and add a 1 year extension based on retirement

Any people had experience at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur trying to get tourist visa? I called ahead to ask what I need to get just a single entry. They said completed application form, fee, and photo. I ask are they sure thats all. Yes. I ask a second time, sorry but are you really sure? Of course sir don't worry.

When I go with those things, they accept my application at the window. My US passport has no Thai stamps in it whatsoever. After 20 minutes they called me back to the window and said they want a bank statement. They were not clear what they are even looking for on the statement and I had no extra time to return with it anyway. Is it they just want to see a reasonable stream of outside income or minimum of $1000 balance ot what? They ask for the statement but don't say what they want to see.

New laws for tourists say that you must have X available when you enter the country for expenses.

Doesn't matter how many times you've entered the country, or not. If you cross at a land border they may ask to see the cash upfront.

Did you not spend any time on the Thailand Foreign Ministry website to see what was required, or access the KL Embassy website to see what requirements were from them?

This is Thailand. Every office dances to a different tune, but I've found the KL Embassy to be one of the most reasonable ones. You could have provided a screen shot of your account, or a bankbook with the current balance and have been okay.

"you" who ? Where is mentioned that somebody has been asked and what answer should be given ?

Its not the airlines responsibility to check your return or onward flight but some ppl get asked at immigration and its usually if you look like you cannot support yourself - they will also ask for proof of access to money.

Its not the airlines responsibility to check your return or onward flight but some ppl get asked at immigration and its usually if you look like you cannot support yourself - they will also ask for proof of access to money.

It is indeed airline responsibility to find if people arriving without a visa has proof of onward travel, and it is listed in the airline regulations that can be accessed by anybody.

There are threads almost every day about it

Because 30 days on.. and then 30 days off.. simple. That is why he needed no visa.

By the time it expires I will be 50 and hope to get a non o visa and add a 1 year extension based on retirement

Thanks Rumbo, I have been applying for only 2 entry visas the past 3 or 4 years and it was all okay with one 30 day topup and maybe a border crossing or 2 I could stay 6 months;all has changed though these days; will try for a 3 entry next year and see what happens. I'm nowhere near Hull though; from the other end of the globe.

Thanks Rumbo, I have been applying for only 2 entry visas the past 3 or 4 years and it was all okay with one 30 day topup and maybe a border crossing or 2 I could stay 6 months;all has changed though these days; will try for a 3 entry next year and see what happens. I'm nowhere near Hull though; from the other end of the globe.

If I understand correct you can only get a triple entry in your home country or possibly Bali !