Commerce Ministry to provide affordable household goods to Thais as a present

webfact

Ministry of Commerce to provide affordable household goods to Thais as a present

BANGKOK, 16 October 2014 (NNT)-The Ministry of Commerce is discussing with major manufacturers of everyday goods the possibility of making their products more affordable. They will be offered under a new campaign dubbed ‘Popular Brand’.

According to Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalya, household products will be sold at lower than market prices. The retail scheme is also to be offered as a new year present to Thai people.

General Chatchai has also met with a group of rice exporters and traders. Their focus is on keeping the price of rice stable. For Jasmine rice, they have agreed that the acceptable price should not be lower than 15,000 – 16,000 baht per ton.

The Ministry of Commerce will also propose to the cabinet a new method which will lower the amount of rice entering the market.

This may include providing incentives to encourage higher rice stocks, creating a market network to increase rice sales and selling grains at an affordable price in small packages during the festive New Year celebrations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-16 footer_n.gif

Do they never learn??

Let the market decide the prices, without stupid interventions from various governments!!

In the end the bill will be footed by the reciepients of the "presents" anyway!!coffee1.gif

When were soldiers ever taught anything about economics? This is starting to sound like Venezuela early in the Chavez regime..

• Like 2

If affordable household items are to include those of an electrical nature they should sell a lot since they rarely work for long.

I had three Thai made electrical mossy killers in two months then i bought a Japanese model, only slightly more expensive, and after several months it's still going strong.

I wonder who owns the companies that make the products. Money will be transferred from taxpayers to these companies. It would be very interesting to know more about the owners. Why enrich companies at the expense of taxpayers? Of course, I'm sure there's a good and legitimate reason.

New New Amazing Thailand - the hub of crackpot ideas!

I think you mean "the hub of crockpot ideas...."

Crockpots, one of the household appliancies to be given away at reduced prices 55555

ps. Have producers agreed to use their standard quality product line or will this result in extra Chinese specially cheap imports?

pps. When ever has selling in smaller units thus nominally cheaper resulted in cheaper overall price for the same amount of a product at larger quantity?

General Chatchai has also met with a group of rice exporters and traders. Their focus is on keeping the price of rice stable. For Jasmine rice, they have agreed that the acceptable price should not be lower than 15,000 – 16,000 baht per ton.

So the 5kg Price for Jasmine Rice is 75,- to 80,- Baht? Where can I buy it? In Africa?

What is the Price in Tesco Lotus in the Moment 190,- Baht/5kg?

A lot of Thai products are outside of Thailand much more cheaper than in Thailand.

will be offered under a new campaign dubbed ‘Popular Brand’.

At least they're honest and brand it populism brand..................Hey wait, isn't that why they wanted the previous government out

Their focus is on keeping the price of rice stable. For Jasmine rice, they have agreed that the acceptable price should not be lower than 15,000 – 16,000 baht per ton.

Now just one more hurdle to overcome, and that is to find buyers who agree that it is an acceptable price. They couldn't find them in the past 3 years, so what makes them think they will now.

Edited by TheCruncher