trip report, driving to Angkor Wat, Cambodia

stevehaigh

Very interesting and useful report.

I would like to know if you enter Cambodia using your Thai plate (In Thai language) or if you have a car passport (purple book).

And if you had to buy special insurance.

yes

dont need the car passport, that is ONLY for Laos, Th e english language plate/sticker are only for Malaysia

NO, u cant buy insurance unless u arrange it months ahead of time via PP

so drive carefully ( i always do)

Thanks a lot.

Is it like in Thailand, in case of accident, the fault is always from farang?? Could cost a lot of money....

The fee for the car sounds quite reasonable. Going back via Poipet I think you did well not incurring any 'out of province' charges.

i forgot to add that when we extied cambo the officer asked me if we wanted the VIP treatment, 200bhat each. i agreed since i figured they'd find some way to get money anyhow so they took our passports and 5 mins later returned and all checked out and ready to go.

I am not judging - but if people continue to pay bribes for "VIP" treatment - then the corruption willl never stop. I realize this is often easier said than done - but people should do all possible to avoid encouraging corrupt officials.

The fee for the car sounds quite reasonable. Going back via Poipet I think you did well not incurring any 'out of province' charges.

i forgot to add that when we extied cambo the officer asked me if we wanted the VIP treatment, 200bhat each. i agreed since i figured they'd find some way to get money anyhow so they took our passports and 5 mins later returned and all checked out and ready to go.

Probably now, a damned good copy of your passport has been sold to someone?

I drove my car in from Thailand to SR via O'Smach last year. Was still $20USD for my visa at that time and the car was totally free. I was through the border within 10-15 minutes. That was a very old car and in not-so-good condition, so to be honest I couldn't have really cared much if anything happened and I lost my car while in Cambodia. I now have a brand new car and not prepared to take any risk driving it into Cambodia without 1st class insurance. So it's public transport for our next visit to SR in a week or two.

Thanks for this interesting TR, there's some handy info here I'll use on my upcoming trip.

Nice report. Thanks for posting. We live in Bangkok and last year, September, my son and I went to Siem Reap. I was considering driving all the way to SR from Bangkok but what we did was drive to the Aran/Poipet border and left our car at the secure parking lot (I think B 80 per day) right at the border then crossed and took a taxi on to SR for $25 and $20 for the return. I had been to SR a few years earlier so I kind of knew the layout and figured havinbg a car there wouldn't be particularly useful. We were there for four days two of which we went out to Ankor using a tuktuk from the hotel. I think one day it was $12 and the second day $15 as that day also included a tour around SR.

in Thailand the fault is who ever is at fault

have had 3 accidents,

None here were my fault

IN Cambodia ur <deleted> as

1 u have no local licesne

2, no insurance

Only had one car accident in Thailand, about 10 years ago down in Songkhla. Thai man ran into my car while I was waiting at an intersection. He came over and inspected my car, then made a phone call to a friend. He then wrote an address on a piece of paper and told me this address is a friend of his who is a panel beater. I'm to take my car to his friend who will do the repairs at no cost for me.

I was very happy and impressed with this.

Any of you guys been out to Beng Mealea? I never have but wouldn't mind having a look there this next trip. So can anyone give me some info on best (cheapest) way to get there and back in a day, what to pay, how much to enter, anything else worth checking out in the vicinity, or anything I need to know about Beng Mealea?

• 5 weeks later...

Cool report. Will look into the fees at o'smach.

One quick question, anything else to watch out for when re entering via poipet?

- cambo inmigration can ask for an express fee

- long queues on the foriegners line in Thailand.

Surely if you are the only foreigner with the rest of your Thai family you should be able to use the thai line? Or don't they let you?

Surely if you are the only foreigner with the rest of your Thai family you should be able to use the thai line? Or don't they let you?

i should have tried but by the time i saw the line my wife and daughter had already gone through

i should have tried but by the time i saw the line my wife and daughter had already gone through

Thanks Steve.

Gotten around this issue - got my wife a cheap air asia flight from siem riep to don muang. I'll drive home with my oldest, my wife can take bubs on the plane on her lap.

Question of logistics for the car leaving at poipet.

I've been checking Google earth and other online pics. It looks like cambo outward immigration is at the round about there. Is there anywhere that you can leave your car while doing immigration formalities?

Also I've noted that on the road between immigration and the bridge which formally demarcates the two countries there looks to be some check points/gates on the cambo side.

Did you get any hassel from the officals there when taking the car out?

Thanks in advance.

last time i exited at Poi pet,( last July) I parked the car on the right to clear Cambodia ( right in front of immigration)

than drove the car up the center an parked in the middle of the road

went thru Thai immigration on the left an than went out the door, went back thru immigration to get my car an then drove it up to the customs ( guy at desk in center of road) he took my papers and waved me on.:-)

I drove my car in from Thailand to SR via O'Smach last year. Was still $20USD for my visa at that time and the car was totally free. I was through the border within 10-15 minutes. That was a very old car and in not-so-good condition, so to be honest I couldn't have really cared much if anything happened and I lost my car while in Cambodia. I now have a brand new car and not prepared to take any risk driving it into Cambodia without 1st class insurance. So it's public transport for our next visit to SR in a week or two.

Thanks for this interesting TR, there's some handy info here I'll use on my upcoming trip.

You can hire a car at the Osmach border to take you to Siem Reap for 1,200 baht .

• 2 weeks later...

Came through yesterday at Chong Chom/O'samach

Pretty much as described.

Thai side: went to customs on the left hand side of the road. Presented my car ownership book and my passport. They asked where I was going and how long I was taking my car out for. I said 3 days and they said they'd give me a week.

Went over to the booth in the middle of the road. Handed over the temp export form customs gave me and car ownership docs, which the scanned.

Went to the immigration booth and checked out the passports.

At no time were we asked for fees.

Cambodian side:

3 Thai passport holders get stamped in visa free. Cambo immigtation took the passports and actually filled in the arrivals and departure cards for us. Stamped us in, and then charged 100 baht per passport.

Wife on the foreign passport and needed visa on arrival. Put US $30 in the passport and they issued the visa. Didn't ask for 1500 baht.

Took two steps over to the customs booth and they gave my wife the immigration arrival card to fill in herself. Stamped her in so no charge. Felt chuffed at my small 'victory' on paying in USD.

Drove down the hill. Stopped at the final gate and the policeman checked that we were stamped in property.

He told me in Thai that I had driven past the cambo customs booth a few meters before. Backed up the car. Three nice young chaps who spoke really good thai.

They asked to see the Thai customs forms, and asked for copies of them. I ran over the other side of the road and copied them for 5 baht.

Ran back and they took those forms to their boss somewhere behind the booth for clearance. Once done we were off.

A few observations.

I asked the Thai customs why some borders let cars in and others didn't. They said in the absence of a country to country treaty like with Laos and Malaysia each border post agreed amongst themselves and their counter parts in Cambodia if they wanted to allow Thai cars through and how that it would be done.

This explains why things work differently depending on where you enter.

I also asked the Cambodian customs guy the same question and they said pretty much the same thing. They also said poipet was a bit more officious in nature so without a proper agreement they didn't want to do anything. Also probably as it is such a busy border, I guess that they aren't going to get any funding to put the infrastructure in place unless there is a proper agreement.

Road to siem riep was good though route 6 is markedly worse that route 68. Well sign posted though.

Back through poipet tomorrow.

Thai side: went to customs on the left hand side of the road. Presented my car ownership book and my passport. They asked where I was going and how long I was taking my car out for. I said 3 days and they said they'd give me a week.

Went over to the booth in the middle of the road. Handed over the temp export form customs gave me and car ownership docs, which the scanned.

Cambodian side:

3 Thai passport holders get stamped in visa free. Cambo immigtation took the passports and actually filled in the arrivals and departure cards for us. Stamped us in, and then charged 100 baht per passport.

Wife on the foreign passport and needed visa on arrival. Put US $30 in the passport and they issued the visa. Didn't ask for 1500 baht.

Took two steps over to the customs booth and they gave my wife the immigration arrival card to fill in herself. Stamped her in so no charge. Felt chuffed at my small 'victory' on paying in USD.

Drove down the hill. Stopped at the final gate and the policeman checked that we were stamped in property.

He told me in Thai that I had driven past the cambo customs booth a few meters before. Backed up the car. Three nice young chaps who spoke really good thai.

They asked to see the Thai customs forms, and asked for copies of them. I ran over the other side of the road and copied them for 5 baht.

Ran back and they took those forms to their boss somewhere behind the booth for clearance. Once done we were off.

A few observations.

I asked the Thai customs why some borders let cars in and others didn't. They said in the absence of a country to country treaty like with Laos and Malaysia each border post agreed amongst themselves and their counter parts in Cambodia if they wanted to allow Thai cars through and how that it would be done.

I also asked the Cambodian customs guy the same question and they said pretty much the same thing. They also said poipet was a bit more officious in nature so without a proper agreement they didn't want to do anything. Also probably as it is such a busy border, I guess that they aren't going to get any funding to put the infrastructure in place unless there is a proper agreement.

Road to siem riep was good though route 6 is markedly worse that route 68. Well sign posted though.

glad it worked out and nothing has changed from my previous 3 entries there ( except that they asked for copies which i never had to give before)

One time i went i had to wake up the guy at the Cambodian customs shack ( he was out back in a Hammock) he asked me why i woke him up :-)

Hohhot

Cambodian side:

A few observations.

glad it worked out and nothing has changed from my previous 3 entries there ( except that they asked for copies which i never had to give before)

One time i went i had to wake up the guy at the Cambodian customs shack ( he was out back in a Hammock) he asked me why i woke him up :-)

Yeah the photocopies are new.

There were two Thai motor cyclists who came through the same time. The guard was telling them that they need it for a record in case anything goes wrong.

Which kind of makes sense in a way as the Cambodians don't formally process the car in so no records seem to be kept. Perhaps this is the start of some Cambodian record keeping for Thai vehicles entering.

Interestingly, the motorbike guys had to give copies of the customs forms and their passports. I only had to give customs forms. Don't ask me why...

I though there was a scam in the making there somewhere, but apart from the 5 baht for photocopying, there wasn't anything and the cambo customs guys were young and friendly.

Cambodian side:

A few observations.

Pretty much what was confirmed to me this afternoon except that two cars one faring and the other Thai both got their car passport at Surin LTD. Both cars cleared Chong Chom much as you stated with no cost for the cars. They were both told by Thai and Cambodian officials that this car passport would be required next year and that next year vehicle insurance would be available. BTW the farang got busted for 1500 baht on visa and the Thai paid 100 baht.blink.png

^^ I guess I should put on my post the caveat: your mileage will vary.

As for the car passports, one bloke tried to use his getting stamped out of Thailand and customs said it wasn't needed. I guess we will see what 2015 holds. I personally don't think very much.

^^ I guess I should put on my post the caveat: your mileage will vary.

As for the car passports, one bloke tried to use his getting stamped out of Thailand and customs said it wasn't needed. I guess we will see what 2015 holds. I personally don't think very much.

The good news is the last couple groups to cross over were not charged any tea money. Yes the passport for a car is unless at any Cambodian/Thai crossing as it is only for Lao/Thai. Next year may be a different song but I'm like you, seeing is beliveing. As for the Cambo visa scam at Chong Chom its still in effect, some do and some don't.

Came through poipet today. Pulled up to cambodian immigration and looked for a place to park. Before I knew it a cambo immigration officer was walking up. My immediate thought was 'shit, I'm in trouble'.

I wound down the window and seeing my Thai plates asked me 'Bai nai?'

I said bangkok and he said he'd do my and my daughters passports for 200baht each. I had 300 baht and a USD note, and he took it and the passports. He said less that three minutes and i don't have to leave the car.

He was good as his word and returned the passports in a minute. Skipped that queue and drove straight throught to the Thai side.

The Thai side was a bit of a muddle.

Firstly. As mentioned here, you park in the middle of the road.

I walked over to the immigtation for cars booth and there was a desk out the front taking car customs forms.

I gave him both the forms given to me at Chong Chom and he asked where the copies were.

It was one of those &lt;deleted&gt; moments. I asked what do I need copies of, and he said in my case:

- PP

- Thai DL

-Thai ID card

- car ownership book

- forms given at Chong Chom

I asked where the photo copy place was and I think he took pity on me and said he'd organise the copies for me.

He even waived the 25 baht processing fee as all I had was a 1000baht note.

Forms came back, immigtation then stamped me and daughter back in.

They said to return the temp export form to customs a few meters along.

There the lady got me to get out of the car and return the form and fill in a log book.

We had a chat about the forms and she was initially flustered at me when I didn't have my customs form (Id already given it to one of her colleagues) and when she found out she said 'oh he's an idiot'. I said I didn't know about the need for all the copies, but when I told her I entered at Chong Chom the penny dropped and she said they just did things differently, and was nicer after that.

She was a bit sceptical about how 2015 was supposed to work telling me she had seen Thai cars trying to cross into poipet but just being turned around.

All in all the trip from SR to BKK was pretty easy. Probably 6 hours of serious driving, the only bad road being near the approach to Chonburi and the motorway into town.

Highly recommend it to everyone!

Sorry - have I missed it?

Could you list the docs you used to take the car in?.... and out again?

are they the same as Laos?

No the are not. The only doc you need for Cambodia at Chong Chom is the car registration book that has to be in your name. The car passport book is for Thailand and Lao only. Some people do show it but it is not accepted between Thailand and Cambodia.

Edited by khwaibah

Sorry - have I missed it?

Could you list the docs you used to take the car in?.... and out again?

are they the same as Laos?

No the are not. The only doc you need for Cambodia at Chong Chom is the car registration book that has to be in your name. The car passport book is for Thailand and Lao only. Some people do show it but it is not accepted between Thailand and Cambodia.

how about insurance - did you buy that at the border?

are there Thai / Cambodian import/export forms?

• 2 weeks later...

Cambodian side:

A few observations.

An official agreement on cross border traffic exists between Thailand and Cambodia only for commercial vehicles (trucks and buses) and they generally, if not exclusively use the Aran/Poipet crossing. Even so the quota system they use has not been filled and as such there hasn't been much need to upgrade the infrastructure on the Cambodia side yet, but it would help if they could clearly demarcate the traffic crossover point from left to right, which would need to be on the Cambodian side. It's a mess as it stands and with more traffic and an official system in future, there needs to be clear guidance as to where and how you switch between left and right hand side driving. Laos and Thailand make it clear at their borders, so too should Cambodia.

• 1 year later...