Change of Address Reporting (Jomtien)

gmac

Moving in a couple of weeks time and just wondering if anything has changed at Jomtien Immigration or is the advice they gave me 2 months ago still current? That is, don't bother to do anything until next 90 day report due.

Technically you (or the owner of your property) are supposed to report the new address immediately. Never actually heard of anyone being penalised lately by Jomtien simply for not doing so though. Maybe you will be the first?

My thoughts exactly! Very irritating when laws are applied selectively. Last time I moved I went to immigration as required and was told to go away and just report the new address on the next 90 day due date. No problem and everything went smoothly. My concern, of course, is that you never know when they are going to decide to enforce any law to the letter and fine you for doing exactly what they told you to do last time!

Think I'll just pop in to see them on my moving date with documents in hand just to be on the safe side.

I suppose if you can 'pop in' i.e. you live close by, then that's OK. But if you have a longish journey then forget it.

I have changed addresses twice in the last 3 years and simply put the new address on the 90 day form. They don't even seem to want a rental agreement anymore, as I took mine down last 90 day and he just gave it back to me.

Shouldn't worry about being put in the slammer..........

• 3 weeks later...

Moved over the weekend and took a TM28 to immigration on monday. Only students at front desk, hadn't a clue what it was so I just asked for a number for the 90 day desk. Officer at desk ignored the form, just took my passport and printed a standard 90 day slip even as I was telling him that my report wasn't due for another month, but that I had moved! As he handed me a new 90 day report form I mentioned again that I had just moved and he then finally looked at my TM28 and updated the address on the computer. I now don't have to report again for another full 90 days so it was worth doing the change of address and sticking to the law even if they weren't really interested. At least they let me do it rather than send me away to come back on the reporting date as they did last time.

I waited till the 5th month as we new we were selling & moving to a new house being built. I also didn't want to have to do my motorcycle transfer till we actually had a physical address. I don't think they could care less unless you were to get in trouble in Thailand.

Indeed, don't be bothered about change of address notifications.

Officially the landlord should report this, but I think that the first one who actually did it still has to be born.

As for car and motorbike documents: don't be bothered and if you insist of having them changed, take care of it with your annual tax-payment.

Edited by joepattaya1961