mania

Not bad spec wise

at 169kg & 42hp

pwr of 0.11

More than a Honda 500 (0.10)

(about 25kg lighter)

Also with a Bore/Stroke ratio of 1.54 should be a good revvy engine

Bore 68.0 mm x Stroke 44.1 mm

Picture of Tach below confirms 12.5-13.5k red range....Also nice to see they went analog tach

Should be a fun 321cc bike if it shows up in Thailand

(Have no idea where it is being built )

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r3.aspx?view=featurestechspecs

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Yamaha-unveil-YZF-R3-sportsbike&newsid=13257

2015-Yamaha-YZF-R320-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-

2015-Yamaha-YZF-R320-EU-Midnight-Black-S

2015-Yamaha-YZF-R320-EU-Race-Blu-Detail-

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice bike and I agree with above comment that they should have made it long time ago. I guess Yamaha takes it very easy. They are follower of the market rather than directing. Well, the quality is good. That is something.

Agreed Yamaha while being one of the innovators of fast small displacement bikes decades ago

was very slow to join this newer revival of lower displacement bikes.

Seems they wanted to watch & see if the direction was really solid.

Now they seem to be joining in ernest

It was expected for some time.

Nice looking bike and 42 hp is cool for a 321 cc bike.

Its torque is a bit low though, side effects of a revy and high top end power engine of course.

And for yamaha's case on jumping on low cc bike segment late:

Better be late than nothing!

Well, the quality is good. That is something.

Yes that too...If one looks at the numbers they have done pretty well

This small twin has more torque @ 21.83 ft. lbs compared to Honda 300's.. 19.9 ft.lb or Kawa's300... 18.0 ft.lb

This bike has a good deal more HP @ 41.42 a large 32% more than the Honda 300's 30hp!

& 19% more than the Ninja 300's 34hp

Impressive effort by Yamaha

Very interesting indeed I wonder how much it costs. If they came make so much power out of 320cc I want to see R5 if they make one this will probably be a bit closer to 650 honda probably on par with Ninja 650. I must say they really know how to design nice bikes. R1 is still my favorite super sport.

only issue is, it gives its peak power and torque at very high revs which means frequent gear changing and a lot of revving. not the perfect combination for the city and climbing mountains with tight slow curvy roads.

honda cbr300 gives it at 8500 rpm for hp and peak torque at 7250 rpm which is 2250 - 2000 rpm lower from 320 yamaha respectively which makes it easier and flexible to ride and less wear and tear plus less petrol consumption.

so each engineering department has different things in mind.

quality wise, conventional forks and chassis looks not much different from the crowd but swingarm creates a difference. hard to say something about quality without seeing the bike in real.

still, great bike from yamaha, well done and looks cool. it should be greater if the engine is triple! why not triple yamaha?

yamaha r3 looks like a great track beginner bike though and cool for spirited fast rides! dont think so it can come any closer to cbr500 of course at ideal conditions.

Any idea if/when it's coming to Thailand? The new yamaha r150 is actually cheaper than hondas cbr 150. I know it's wishful thinking but if this bike is in the cbr 300 price range I will be very interested!

They recently had a Yamaha R15 track day at ChiangRai Track

https://www.facebook.com/nooker.nookle/media_set?set=a.654169014699015.1073741883.100003177689083&type=1

That is a nice looking 150cc bike

image.jpg image.jpg

^ To be fair, Honda can't touch Yamaha or Kawasaki in terms of design.

A nice revvy little 321cc twin would be fun. I can't imagine them being able to price it close to the single cylinder CBR though.

In your opinion.

Also a revvy engine does not mean it is good for everyone and every condition. It is not a criteria.

There is close to 1000 usd difference between 300 honda and yzf r3.

I heard they ll go for 5000 usd in USA!

Very good price imo but it tells me not to expect a very good quality of course for that price.

If i need a track day beginner bike or a small bike to do spirited rides at fast sections, i go buy yzf r3.

If i need a bike in the city which offers more flexibility and also for spirited rides at tight mountain roads and curves and touring, i go for honda cbr300.

A nice revvy little 321cc twin would be fun. I can't imagine them being able to price it close to the single cylinder CBR though.

In your opinion.

Also a revvy engine does not mean it is good for everyone and every condition. It is not a criteria.

Very good price imo but it tells me not to expect a very good quality of course for that price.

If i need a track day beginner bike or a small bike to do spirited rides at fast sections, i go buy yzf r3.

If i need a bike in the city which offers more flexibility and also for spirited rides at tight mountain roads and curves and touring, i go for honda cbr300.

A revvy engine? Its peak power is less revs than the Ninja 300 which is a much better bike than the Honda 300 and this R3 has more torque and power than both the Ninja and Honda.

If the price is only 30,000Baht more than the Honda 300 then it's a bargain. If you say at that price it wont be good quality, then that doesn't say much for the Honda.

I can't say the Honda won't be more comfortable to ride long distances but that is about all it has going for it over the N3 or R3 and even that is up for debate, as my Ninja is more comfortable than my CBR.

My only concern about getting this bike is who is going to service it? Let's hope Yamaha start opening a few decent service centers like Honda and Kawasaki.

Pity that the Yamaha YZF-R3 has 21cc to much to be any competition to the Kawasaki Ninja 300 or even the Honda CBR300R. Because the engine is over the current maximum engine size (300cc) for small engine motorcycles it would be charged with full import duty.

If the imported Yamaha 300cc comes to close to the price of a locally made 650cc we all know which motorcycle is more likely to be selected... Of course rules change as we know, the rules where once 175cc, 200cc, 250cc, and now 300cc... So maybe next year 350cc?

In your opinion.

A revvy engine? Its peak power is less revs than the Ninja 300 which is a much better bike than the Honda 300 and this R3 has more torque and power than both the Ninja and Honda.

If the price is only 30,000Baht more than the Honda 300 then it's a bargain. If you say at that price it wont be good quality, then that doesn't say much for the Honda.

I can't say the Honda won't be more comfortable to ride long distances but that is about all it has going for it over the N3 or R3 and even that is up for debate, as my Ninja is more comfortable than my CBR.

My only concern about getting this bike is who is going to service it? Let's hope Yamaha start opening a few decent service centers like Honda and Kawasaki.

yes a revvy engine.

and yes ninja 300 also has a revvy engine which makes it less flexible to ride in the city or tight sections than bike with

more torque.

yes yzf r3 has 2 more nm torque but 3000 rpm higher than a cbr300.

and of course ninja300 is a better bike - with 50 k thb premium you pay over a 15 kg lighter cbr300 - but not better than cbr300 in the city.

i mean different horses for different courses macknife.

for example one might be riding only in the city and can say cbr300 is a better bike than ninja300.

moreover, i said not different quality than crowd so maybe you did not get it? of coursw ninja or 300 cc honda has similar quality.

it should be greater if the engine is triple! why not triple yamaha?

^^ This!!

But in all fairness LL, the category is all about 'high-revving', not really low end torque through the twisties (no replacement for displacement yadda yadda). My old ZXR250 red lined at 21,500 rpm lol - awesome fun!

Still more competition has to be a good thing - lets hope it makes it to LOS.

Some seem to be under the false impression that a bike that can rev or even a bike that makes

its peak power at a higher rev than another somehow equates to a bike that is not good in the city.

That is silly.....For one thing a rider is not using peak power in the city/traffic

Qualities that make a bike good in the city/traffic have little to nothing to do with

where in a powerband a bike makes peak power.

Has more to do with steering radius, perceived weight/balance, profile/width,

controls such as throttle,brake & clutch pull feeling,comfort etc.

Many bikes that some would consider "high rev" <sic>

Are more than happy easily putting along in 2nd gear

yes a revvy engine.

and yes ninja 300 also has a revvy engine which makes it less flexible to ride in the city or tight sections than bike with

more torque.

Honestly I would like to ask you a question: Are you really sure you understand all about technics also the technical informations and not what the Marketing is trying to tell (plus else the talk from the so-called barstool experts)?

yes a revvy engine.

more torque.

Honestly I would like to ask you a question: Are you really sure you understand all about technics also the technical informations and not what the Marketing is trying to tell (plus else the talk from the so-called barstool experts)?

I would like to ask you honestly too?

Who t f are you asking me these?

And why i need to answer your silly questions and stupid remarks like mkt talk etc.?

And do you think an engine giving its power or powerband at higher revs are more flexible to ride in the city more than a bike giving its power at lower revs? It is stupid to think this way! And do you really know what you are talking about?

If it is me, i buy the r3 over honda cbr300 any given day but not everyone. Some might find it too sporty, revvy Some might want less gear change and a flexible slow ride etc.

World is not always revolving on fast revvy bikes with more power. There are also other things buyer and owners keep in mind. Please realize this!

Some might find it too sporty, revvy Some might want less gear change and a flexible slow ride etc.

World is not always revolving on fast revvy bikes with more power. There are also other things buyer and owners keep in mind. Please realize this!

Yep, thats why clever people invented the scooter laugh.png

Some might find it too sporty, revvy Some might want less gear change and a flexible slow ride etc.

Yep, thats why clever people invented the scooter laugh.png

What a dumb comment..!!!

Some people require a commuter bike to get to and from work, but also something that will provide some excitement at weekends. The Cbr250/300 is that bike (as are a few others) Scooters generally only fit the to and from work criteria.

But again I don't think the Yamaha and Kawasaki 300's are over revving, just normal. I remember a fair few times on the MC19 doing about 40 through town but with the revs so high it sounded like 60-70! They were high revving beasts.

Archived