2015 Yamaha YZF-R3

mania

There have been a couple of reported posts in this topic.

Please be reminded of the forums rules and keep the discussion civil.

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes a revvy engine.

and yes ninja 300 also has a revvy engine which makes it less flexible to ride in the city or tight sections than bike with

more torque.

Honestly I would like to ask you a question: Are you really sure you understand all about technics also the technical informations and not what the Marketing is trying to tell (plus else the talk from the so-called barstool experts)?

I would like to ask you honestly too?

Who t f are you asking me these?

And why i need to answer your silly questions and stupid remarks like mkt talk etc.?

And do you think an engine giving its power or powerband at higher revs are more flexible to ride in the city more than a bike giving its power at lower revs? It is stupid to think this way! And do you really know what you are talking about?

If it is me, i buy the r3 over honda cbr300 any given day but not everyone. Some might find it too sporty, revvy Some might want less gear change and a flexible slow ride etc.

World is not always revolving on fast revvy bikes with more power. There are also other things buyer and owners keep in mind. Please realize this!

Yes, your question is probably right, who am I?

That's why you first of all let me introduce myself: I'm a little to old aged man who has clueless fallen in a motorcycle forum and now wishes the experienced motorcycle riders would give him a little bit of enlightenment.

After you specify here to be one of the best (hard core Rider Member), I think you could probably best explain me the technical aspects a little bit more.

And please do not just only leave keywords but explain to the clueless like me everything so that I understand it and it can become lodged in my brain.

Thanks for your understanding.

yes a revvy engine.

and yes ninja 300 also has a revvy engine which makes it less flexible to ride in the city or tight sections than bike with

more torque.

Honestly I would like to ask you a question: Are you really sure you understand all about technics also the technical informations and not what the Marketing is trying to tell (plus else the talk from the so-called barstool experts)?

I would like to ask you honestly too?

Who t f are you asking me these?

And why i need to answer your silly questions and stupid remarks like mkt talk etc.?

And do you think an engine giving its power or powerband at higher revs are more flexible to ride in the city more than a bike giving its power at lower revs? It is stupid to think this way! And do you really know what you are talking about?

If it is me, i buy the r3 over honda cbr300 any given day but not everyone. Some might find it too sporty, revvy Some might want less gear change and a flexible slow ride etc.

World is not always revolving on fast revvy bikes with more power. There are also other things buyer and owners keep in mind. Please realize this!

Yes, your question is probably right, who am I?

That's why you first of all let me introduce myself: I'm a little to old aged man who has clueless fallen in a motorcycle forum and now wishes the experienced motorcycle riders would give him a little bit of enlightenment.

After you specify here to be one of the best (hard core Rider Member), I think you could probably best explain me the technical aspects a little bit more.

And please do not just only leave keywords but explain to the clueless like me everything so that I understand it and it can become lodged in my brain.

Thanks for your understanding.

it is a known fact that sarcasm and irony are wasted on ll2 thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news on this R3? Is it coming to Thailand?

Quoted price of 185,000bht down south, a tad too much. Honda 300s around 130k baht. Looks like no ABS option either. Fitted with Michelin Street Pilots tho..

Quoted price of 185,000bht down south, a tad too much. Honda 300s around 130k baht. Looks like no ABS option either. Fitted with Michelin Street Pilots tho..

From the dyno I think you're better off comparing it to the 500. In that it's a pretty good match.

It's not too much at all, if it's really 185K, it will sell quite well.

In terms of specs this bike is between Ninja 300 and a Honda CBR500.

Except for ABS.

And it looks the best of all 3!

The CB300 is a single cylinder engine and puts quite less power.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought, I tell you:

They are in town, arrived this weeke at the dealer shop. Saw 2, today, a blue and a red one.

Pretty Babies!

Michelin Pilot Street Radials

and

ABS

187.000THB

2morrow, maybe, I can tell you, how much they give for a 2013 CBR250R

hmmm. abs or no abs.. which is it?

It comes with ABS, but not on Pilot Street Radials!

Sorry about the wrong info.

My bad, I thought so, because the Pilot Streets are usualy S speed rated, but this ones are H

And the bike is with a bit over 180 kph 'in need', for H

But looking at them, today, I missed the 'radial' on the side.

Looks like, it's the opposite thing, what IRC and Honda is doing.

Honda CBR 250/300 OEM tyre is S rated, after market IRC's are H rated.

And for me, no deal with giving my CBR 250 in.

They would do good price, with financing about 90k. With paying cash, they don't wanna offer that much for the Honda.

I will look into this matter, after Sonkran.

Happy new Mia!

Were you successful in getting financing?

That wouldn't be a problem, only I'm not interested in financing.

But I would like a good trade in.

Anyway, Sonkran is maybe not the best time, to start riding a brand new bike. ;-)

So I can look into these, next week

Btw., I found a testride video, with a "very hard tire" comment, b/c Yamaha wanted it long lasting, and it is "yamaha-spec", made for the R3.

This explaines , why it's a Pilot Street in H, instead of S rating.

I expect the radials softer, then!

Anyone has experience with Pilot Streets and/or radials? How hard are they, anyway?

OEM IRCs like?

We are swapping the Michelins with the Pirelli Sport Demons off the Ninja 250 before we sell it, the Michelins are noticeably harder and don't seem to offer anywhere near the amount of feedback, not saying they are bad they just aint as good as the Pirellis then again I only had a couple of days on the R3 before going back to work but it was still long enough to know the stock tires could be better, it is a shame to limit a sporty bike like this through being cheap though all the companies appear to do it with their smaller bikes then again I guess many value mileage over grip, something I cant really understand but there you go....

edited to say that the Michelins are still way better than the IRC's I had in the past, they were just plain dangerous but I heard they have made a newer compound which is better, I will not be buying any to find out as there are plenty of known good options out there where you do not have to take a gamble

Thanks, mark131v!

But in case, they really used the Yamahas spec Pilot Street in this video, I think, they arent that bad!

Not so good, also, 'cause even these guys did struggle a bit, in the corners.

Anyway, I'm thinking, I should keep the CBR a bit longer. But buying the R3. This way, I can find out, how good the Michelins are.

If I'm not happy with them, they can go on to the CBR. New booties on it would be ok, too.

Back to your Sport Demons. I'm kinda don't like look of them.

Can you tell me, much better as the Sport Dragons they are? And how is the wet behavior of both of this Pirellis?

Hi No Name I reckon it is a good idea if you are maybe thinking of keeping both bikes, gives you the option of if you aren't happy with the tires then you can put them on the CBR and maybe ask a bit more for it when you sell it, they are also way better than the stock IRC you have on already

Really cant say much bad about the Michelins other than they did feel harder and less grippy they are also brand new and maybe needed more scrubbing in but they just don't feel as good as the Pirreli Sport Demons and they felt awesome from the moment they were fitted, they totally transformed the bike in both the wet and the dry and gives you way more confidence

There are better tires out there but for smaller sports bikes they are a good middle of the road option and I am really happy with them, If I had not had experience of the PSD's I may have been happy with the Michelins but what I can say is both are streets ahead of the IRC stock tires. Have no knowledge of the Sport Dragons other than I seem to recall they were a budget offering primarily for the Asian market other than that I have no idea if they are good or not

Enjoy the R3 when you get it, its an awesome little bike!!

I had Michelin Pilot Street radials put on my CBR300 last Wednesday. There was less than 700km on the original IRC bias-ply tires, but that was enough to form an opinion of them. That opinion was not unfavorable, but I wanted to get on upgraded tires as soon as possible.

The radials definitely "turn into corners" more quickly,as another poster with experience of them noted.

However, the ride is now noticeably more bumpy, contradicting Michelin's own advertising re Pilot Street bias-ply vs. Pilot Street radials. If I had not seen the Maxxis shop guy add air using a gauge, I would think they had been over-filled. I'll probably still check for myself...

However, the ride is now noticeably more bumpy, contradicting Michelin's own advertising re Pilot Street bias-ply vs. Pilot Street radials. If I had not seen the Maxxis shop guy add air using a gauge, I would think they had been over-filled. I'll probably still check for myself...

You should always do so! After every aircheck in a shop! I know my airpressure, no one need to change anything. If they do, it can only be wrong! Same with taking the Oil from the oilchange on to the Chain. I use motul chain paste, fits even under the seat, and dont wanna have the engine oil all over my tire!

In my experience, it's more likely, that the gauge wasn't right, or the gauge user didn't look for the right thing! Or at the gauge at all!

They are experienced in Scooters. Scooters lose air, putting more on it, is a service (and needs less thinking, for both parties). And not all of the guy's are trained on the details. Asking for 'how much oil' is a known thing. Not knowing the psi's, too

Also, own experience with my cbr, 29 psi becomes quickly 2.9 bar, on a honda shop gauge.

Your problem can be, to find a gauge, that may be right. Even the newest auto refills, at gas stations, aren't always right. I have 3 pressure gauges, 2 are showing the same. But only with one gasstation, around, it works 100% and feels right! Probably the 3 one is the right one?

The good thing, with the IRC's is, you (I) really feel, if its 29/30, or 27 or 35psi. At 27 or below, they quickly start to slip, b/c of getting to hot. 35 and above, (what's most time, if coming from a oilchange), it feels like a solid rubber tire. Last time, I actually drove 20m, turned, got my gauge out of the 'trunk', and corrected it direct in front of the guys. Telling them, I would like to get Honda, not Thai specs! Maybe the right time, to buy a Yamaha, huu? ;-)

btw, I'm pretty sure, even your IRC's had 'a little' more air inside.

@mark131v

Yep, the Sport Dragons are cheap, inexpensive I would say, for the asian and south america market, made in Brasil, I guess. Same as the Rosso 2 with the ( R ). (Made in brasil, not the market)

I had them in mind, as a replacement for the IRC's. It's a H spec, they feel (hand on rubber) not so hard, and the tread reminds me on some scooter tires, with good rain experience, that I had, some time ago.

And b/c it looks a bit difficult, to get tires, sometimes, it was one of the options, to look at.

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I think, I have to check, if the yamaha store is still in sonkran holiday.

I have an air compressor I keep on the CBX and plug into the power socket it does away with guessing at places that don't have a working gauge which seems to be the majority of places it also allows me to do all the bikes at home, I think it is a really good investment, I did not find the Michelins an hard ride and I did check the psi when I got home and it was right which was a pleasant surprise that I was not expecting...!

Yet another couple of very positive review this time from the UK....

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-yamaha-r3-review/26529.html

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bike-reviews/yamaha/yamaha-r3-first-ride/#.VS_S5rHRZD8

to be honest I have seen very few negatives in any of the reviews from either UK or US

How is it at high speeds Mark? I've heard a couple of Thai guys say to me that it's unbalanced and not stable.

I also saw one this week and the fuel tank (in the area a tank pad would normally go) was all scratched up and he couldn't have had it for more than a couple of weeks. I know the tank is completely plastic but I thought it would be more hard wearing and because of the shape of it I don't think a standard tank pad could fit it

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-yamaha-r3-review/26529.html

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bike-reviews/yamaha/yamaha-r3-first-ride/#.VS_S5rHRZD8

to be honest I have seen very few negatives in any of the reviews from either UK or US

How is it at high speeds Mark? I've heard a couple of Thai guys say to me that it's unbalanced and not stable.

I also saw one this week and the fuel tank (in the area a tank pad would normally go) was all scratched up and he couldn't have had it for more than a couple of weeks. I know the tank is completely plastic but I thought it would be more hard wearing and because of the shape of it I don't think a standard tank pad could fit it

Hi Mac, tbh I have only managed to play for a couple of days before going back to work but I did some fairly high speed stuff on my own and 2 up and it felt really planted, I had it 2 up with the Missus at 150 for a long blast along the 36 and it was really stable so I definitely don't know where that opinion is coming from. I have a CBX as well and I felt no real difference from that

I did not want to push it really high but when I get home I will see how quick it is and if there is anything strange going on at high speed. I think it is the gray plastic cover over the tank that you mean as the rest of the tank is steel, it seemed pretty durable to me and I guess you could put a normal tank pad over it as I envisage it could get scratched with zips and stuff but then again easy enough to buy a new plastic cover

It is really early days and a bit frustrating as I want to get out on it again but what I can say is I am really happy with it and the missus has been using it whilst I have been here and she too really likes it, It is a massive uplift from the Ninja 250 in every conceivable way and it also has some nice touches that my CBX doesn't have, I would also think it could be a good alternative to the CB500 series as it is a much more involving ride

3 weeks to go cant wait...!!

Hi Mac, tbh I have only managed to play for a couple of days before going back to work but I did some fairly high speed stuff on my own and 2 up and it felt really planted, I had it 2 up with the Missus at 150 for a long blast along the 36 and it was really stable so I definitely don't know where that opinion is coming from. I have a CBX as well and I felt no real difference from that

I did not want to push it really high but when I get home I will see how quick it is and if there is anything strange going on at high speed. I think it is the gray plastic cover over the tank that you mean as the rest of the tank is steel, it seemed pretty durable to me and I guess you could put a normal tank pad over it as I envisage it could get scratched with zips and stuff but then again easy enough to buy a new plastic cover

It is really early days and a bit frustrating as I want to get out on it again but what I can say is I am really happy with it and the missus has been using it whilst I have been here and she too really likes it, It is a massive uplift from the Ninja 250 in every conceivable way and it also has some nice touches that my CBX doesn't have, I would also think it could be a good alternative to the CB500 series as it is a much more involving ride

3 weeks to go cant wait...!!

Maybe they didn't know what they were talking about then.

I'm pretty sure the whole tank is plastic, when I was tapping it, it definitely did not feel like steel. I could be wrong though.

That grey plastic cover looks too narrow for a standard tank pad, maybe Yamaha have one specifically for it?

That visordown review link, pretty much says what I thought. Goes great but cheap looking parts quality. I'm so disappointed as I really wanted one.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what the Visor down review said and agree they have cut a few corners but for me the ride more than makes up for it but if it suddenly starts playing up I will report that as well, not sure about the tank but when I have filled her up it certainly feels like steel same as when I was tapping on the tank but then again I could be wrong and it aint something that really concerns me

As for the unstable at speed I have seen probably 10 different reviews on the R3 and even though I know that most have to be fairly positive something like being unstable at speed would not have been ignored especially seeing as both the US and European launches featured long road/highway rides and track days where the bikes where maxxed out. If there was a problem with stability we would have heard but as it is everyone was saying what a good chassis it has and my experience confirms that

I had limited options as the Missus is a dwarf but being as she hates the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya the Ninja was off the table even though I like the bike, that said I would choose the R3 anyhow as I really like the bike and the seating position is better for me than the Ninja 300's plus I like the fact it is new and different plus the extra few cc's can only be good

• 5 months later...

Archived